Post-Game Discussion Manly v Rabbitohs [Round 1, 2024]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Sea Eagles
Vs
Rabbitohs
36 Allegiant Stadium
03 Mar 2024 13:30
80:00 minute

Match Stats

Best thing to come out of this is how fit and strong the team looks this year.
Not sure if mentioned before but I loved the fact Tallis kept going on about how big and strong the boys looked. When Matty asked him about the game when they were warming up Tallis stated this Manly side is the biggest in the league he's ever seen and then mentions it again at the end on the Matty Johns Show.
Let's hope they can start intimidating teams again.... Bringing back the Manly of old

Well, sorry for expressing an opinion, or vocalising an emotion, when Damien Cook was carving us up through the middle (as the commentators also suggested) while it was happening. All pre-season, I stated the same, in that we are immobile and slow through the middle (remember I suggested putting Arthur at lock to speed us up)?

I 100% hold to that as well. Explosive, fast paced forward packs (including sharp hookers) will target us there. I think it will be our Achilles heel , and will be the reason for us landing where I think we'll land.

That said, just because I hold to that, doesn't mean I can't also lump praise on the team when it's warranted, too.

I didn't name a player, I didn't call out a forum poster (like you have). How about just riding the highs and lows of the games as they come? Or is that unacceptable to you? Anyways, your calling me out is boring. Literally boring. The only reason I replied at ALL, is because someone messaged me with a copy of your post, asking me, "what is this dickhead on about".

Hope you're well @eaglebuzz , and by God I hope everyone posts in the exact way you demand they do going forward this season. We wouldn't want you being upset.

I'll avoid the GDT's from now on..how's that? Does that placate you and help you achieve whatever it was you wanted out of calling me out ?
All good man I just posted that for the luls. I admire your passion and don't want you to feel any less of yourself

TRIVIA TIME

This was only the 2nd time that a Manly game has kicked off the season in the NRL era. Can anyone remember the first time?

Today was also only the 2nd time since 1908 that a season has not kicked off in Australia. When and where was the 1st, and who played?

For mine out of today, while the win was good ... the impact from our forwards wasn't so good.

Haumole with 180 and Brown with 110 were the only Manly forwards with over 100 run metres. Next were Paseka (82) and Jake (81).

Post Contact Metres saw 95 for Olakau'atu, 44 for Paseka, 35 for Brown and 28 for Aloiai. Jake again doesn't make a lot of PCM's, only pushing on for 19.

Saab ran for 248. Turbo for 221, Garrick for 214.
In fairness to Jake he does more of the defending and the link between the halves with the ball, I guess the way the coaches look to play with Jake with the current pack, I agree he used to have a top notch offload in him and made good meters when he first came into first grade.

Thought Guaca was very good today, hopefully he can keep improving.

I sat on the floor right in front of the Big Screen TV so I could take it all in.

Some huge positives to come out of that game despite the injury blows. Particularly our crisp attacking plays and clinical little movements looking to create some space. If that was played at Brookvale Oval with extra space we would have scored close to 50 points.

We still have our main nucleus without Saab and perhaps another. It should be a cracker of a game back on our home turf vs the Roosters. We could really make a statement. We need to get Koula in to space as much as possible. Turbo, DCE and Brooks are master runners of the game and creators so with those 3 in our team and bring the same attacking game plan into game 2. That was largely a great team performance and we played some high quality attack in our first game of the season under untried conditions and on display for hundreds of thousands of extra people worldwide and I do believe now we will see a nice surge of Manly merchandise items from all those people that Manly won over, particularly in the US.

Although we made some extra errors they were mostly on the final tackle looking to set something up. Overall we were excellent in our cohesion and ball control with perfect passes and good positioning.

Hopefully all those who are healthy and fit and unscathed from that physical encounter can keep that roll going and stick to that simple game plan and play like we did today.
I liked the way Koula played, he looks threatening with the ball every time he gets it, he didn’t get an opportunity in open space but he showed that he can create space when there is none with his speed.

His defence was on also, he made the first hit on Tatola, he gets to go up against Manu next game and that will be a good challenge for him.

TRIVIA TIME

This was only the 2nd time that a Manly game has kicked off the season in the NRL era. Can anyone remember the first time?

Today was also only the 2nd time since 1908 that a season has not kicked off in Australia. When and where was the 1st, and who played?
Was the other in 1999 at stadium Australia 1st game of the double header vs the Knights?
Terry Hill was the 1st player to score a try at that stadium.

TRIVIA TIME

Broncos v Warriors first game in 95 in NZ.

We played the first game v Penrith a couple years back on a Thursday night I think.

Haven’t been looking forward to the footy at all this season tbh, used to be fizzing for it weeks in advance, but I think decisions around the club the past few years have really diluted my passion for it

Having said that, really enjoyed the game yesterday, wasn’t a perfect performance but good to see them hitting in defence and throwing the ball around. Was a style that was really good to watch, we will still cop a few hidings this season playing that way, but it was entertaining and that’s all I can ask

Tom looked really free to start the season which was great, Brooks was exactly what I thought he would be. Brown off the bench went very well, have never liked the guy but could come round after a few more efforts like that. Wasn’t really that disappointed with anybody on the field (although have just read the game day thread and my brain is now numb, a fair few of them were crap …)

Plenty to work on throughout the year, it will be a roller coaster, but if they keep playing that style we will be entertained

I thought Moses and the Queen were my most hated duo in the NRL, but Walker and Mitchell are pushing them bloody hard, what a pair of absolute punishers. I’ll now be labeled a racist for thinking the way they carry on makes them flogs

Well, sorry for expressing an opinion, or vocalising an emotion, when Damien Cook was carving us up through the middle (as the commentators also suggested) while it was happening. All pre-season, I stated the same, in that we are immobile and slow through the middle (remember I suggested putting Arthur at lock to speed us up)?

I 100% hold to that as well. Explosive, fast paced forward packs (including sharp hookers) will target us there. I think it will be our Achilles heel , and will be the reason for us landing where I think we'll land.

That said, just because I hold to that, doesn't mean I can't also lump praise on the team when it's warranted, too.

I didn't name a player, I didn't call out a forum poster (like you have). How about just riding the highs and lows of the games as they come? Or is that unacceptable to you? Anyways, your calling me out is boring. Literally boring. The only reason I replied at ALL, is because someone messaged me with a copy of your post, asking me, "what is this dickhead on about".

Hope you're well @eaglebuzz , and by God I hope everyone posts in the exact way you demand they do going forward this season. We wouldn't want you being upset.

I'll avoid the GDT's from now on..how's that? Does that placate you and help you achieve whatever it was you wanted out of calling me out ?
The game day threads should be a roller coaster of emotions. That's the experience of the game as it happens. I don't mind if it's a different experience to other threads. Don't like that, stick to the other threads. Easy.

The game day threads should be a roller coaster of emotions. That's the experience of the game as it happens. I don't mind if it's a different experience to other threads. Don't like that, stick to the other threads. Easy.
I 100% agree. That's how it is on the hill at the game ! BUT, I guess people want the balanced, un-emotive, drone like experience here during the GDT, and they can have it.

I'm out. Particularly if I'm getting called out.

I 100% agree. That's how it is on the hill at the game ! BUT, I guess people want the balanced, un-emotive, drone like experience here during the GDT, and they can have it.

I'm out. Particularly if I'm getting called out.
That would be a shame.

Haven’t been looking forward to the footy at all this season tbh, used to be fizzing for it weeks in advance, but I think decisions around the club the past few years have really diluted my passion for it

Having said that, really enjoyed the game yesterday, wasn’t a perfect performance but good to see them hitting in defence and throwing the ball around. Was a style that was really good to watch, we will still cop a few hidings this season playing that way, but it was entertaining and that’s all I can ask

Tom looked really free to start the season which was great, Brooks was exactly what I thought he would be. Brown off the bench went very well, have never liked the guy but could come round after a few more efforts like that. Wasn’t really that disappointed with anybody on the field (although have just read the game day thread and my brain is now numb, a fair few of them were crap …)

Plenty to work on throughout the year, it will be a roller coaster, but if they keep playing that style we will be entertained

I thought Moses and the Queen were my most hated duo in the NRL, but Walker and Mitchell are pushing them bloody hard, what a pair of absolute punishers. I’ll now be labeled a racist for thinking the way they carry on makes them flogs

It's a shame you've felt that way mate, because it kinda feels there's plenty of excitement over here, even for people with lower expectations.

But understand your viewpoint.

Hopefully the footy brings you around. I do hope we set ourselves a little better in Defense and around the middles..

This season I'd love a few shutouts or even scores against us under 10.

Our halves and backline were great. I have some concerns about our forwards on slower surfaces but was impressed by Brown.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8