Pre-Game Manly v Raiders [Round 17, 2021]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
GAME ON! Head over to the Game Thread!

V

16 30
4 Pines Park
08 Jul 2021 07:50 PM

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the lineup I expect to see Des name this afternoon:

FB - Reuben Garrick
WG - Jason Saab
CE - Moses Suli
CE - Morgan Harper
WG - Brad Parker
FE - Dylan Walker
HB - Kieran Foran (vc)
PR - Taniela Paseka
HK - Lachlan Croker
PR - Martin Taupau (c)
SR - Haumole Olakau'atu
SR - Karl Lawton
LK - Sean Keppie

Bench - Cade Cust, Ben Trbojevic, Toafofoa Sipley, Kurt de Luis.

Extended bench - Jack Gosiewski, Tevita Funa, Jorge Taufua, Christian Tuipulotu.

For mine this gives the minimal amount of disruption, especially to the pack. Unfortunately when you lose your fullback and halfback it does require a re-shuffle, but I think this way with only Suli brought in and Walks moving from the bench to 5/8 allows us to be more settled than if we brought in say Cust to the halves and put Walks at either fullback or in the centres. Parker is not ideal on the wing, but he'll do the job asked of him, and its only for a week while Turbo and DCE are off playing Origin.

Last edited:
I don't think that winning every game is as important to Des as it is to us. He's shown a pattern in past years of building toward a strong showing in the finals rather than racing for the minor premiership.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Des throw in some odd balls in the Canberra game just to test his options for future matches. Maybe leave the 3/4 line intact and run Dylan or Tevita at fullback and Cade at half.

Just speculation though. He will probably go with Reuben at the back.

I don't think that winning every game is as important to Des as it is to us. He's shown a pattern in past years of building toward a strong showing in the finals rather than racing for the minor premiership.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Des throw in some odd balls in the Canberra game just to test his options for future matches. Maybe leave the 3/4 line intact and run Dylan or Tevita at fullback and Cade at half.

Like funa to 5/8 ;)

I think you'll find that Des hates losing.

Our position in the 8 isn't as secure as a Melbourne or Penrith. 2-3 losses and we're back in a fight to stay there so every win counts.

Edit: wins are especially necessary when we are missing players like Turbo, Cherry and Jake. The more games won when we don't have them, the better.

Last edited:
This game worries me.

Hard enough having several of our primary players out such as Jake, Schuster, Aloiai, but to have DCE and Turbo out is a big ask. It means that three of our main play makers are not there, if Foran plays half, a less effective 5/8 takes over, we have only one speedster on the wing. Forwards are OK but a bit worried about the backs. Its no surprise that Turbo, Garrick and Saab are scoring at will, but a lot of that is good ball from the halves and Turbo chiming in. Garrick has shown he can do the job and I hope he performs as well as he did when he was last at full back.

But Canberra will have been given a serve from Sticky and will come out determined. If we are behind at half time, could be a real challenge. Watch out for Canberra's Croker to have a big one, though I'm glad Wighton is out. Could be wrong. Could be a blow out. Just a little worried.

This game worries me.

Hard enough having several of our primary players out such as Jake, Schuster, Aloiai, but to have DCE and Turbo out is a big ask. It means that three of our main play makers are not there, if Foran plays half, a less effective 5/8 takes over, we have only one speedster on the wing. Forwards are OK but a bit worried about the backs. Its no surprise that Turbo, Garrick and Saab are scoring at will, but a lot of that is good ball from the halves and Turbo chiming in. Garrick has shown he can do the job and I hope he performs as well as he did when he was last at full back.

But Canberra will have been given a serve from Sticky and will come out determined. If we are behind at half time, could be a real challenge. Watch out for Canberra's Croker to have a big one, though I'm glad Wighton is out. Could be wrong. Could be a blow out. Just a little worried.

With Simonson and Whitehead out, along with Wighton and Papalii they are extremely depleted as well. They are likely to have Matt Frawley and Sam Williams as their halves.

There will be no excuses for us for a loss here - We should have enough confidence within the squad to get the job done.

This is the lineup I expect to see Des name this afternoon:

FB - Reuben Garrick
WG - Jason Saab
CE - Moses Suli
CE - Morgan Harper
WG - Brad Parker
FE - Dylan Walker
HB - Kieran Foran (vc)
PR - Taniela Paseka
HK - Lachlan Croker
PR - Martin Taupau (c)
SR - Haumole Olakau'atu
SR - Karl Lawton
LK - Sean Keppie

Bench - Cade Cust, Ben Trbojevic, Toafofoa Sipley, Kurt de Luis.

Extended bench - Jack Gosiewski, Tevita Funa, Jorge Taufua, Christian Tuipulotu.

For mine this gives the minimal amount of disruption, especially to the pack. Unfortunately when you lose your fullback and halfback it does require a re-shuffle, but I think this way with only Suli brought in and Walks moving from the bench to 5/8 allows us to be more settled than if we brought in say Cust to the halves and put Walks at either fullback or in the centres. Parker is not ideal on the wing, but he'll do the job asked of him, and its only for a week while Turbo and DCE are off playing Origin.
Agree mainly but two things:
1) Who we pick to be on the wing will be who we pick for the next two weeks. Tom will not play v a severely depleted Dragons 2 days after origin. I would assume the Suli & Parker wing/centre rotation happens again like it did v Cows. Vs Dragons I'd love to see a youngster named as DCE is back which will help (Koula or Tuipolotu)
2) Cust would be training in the halves, whilst Walker has been coming off the bench as an impact lock. I feel moving Walker in would cause more disruption and wouldn't be surprised to see Cust in the #6 or #7.

With Simonson and Whitehead out, along with Wighton and Papalii they are extremely depleted as well. They are likely to have Matt Frawley and Sam Williams as their halves.

There will be no excuses for us for a loss here - We should have enough confidence within the squad to get the job done.
No excuses , Excuses are mind complacencies and are the easy way out from getting the job done

You do not win the next game with your previous effort
You win the next game with your next high standard performance .

When Key players are out . All other players need to lift and step up a gear

Example ..
Players like Parker that do not make line breaks need to step up and be more creative because Tom wont be there handing out meat pies for our back line

All players need to step up !

Players like Parker that do not make line breaks need to step up and be more creative
tree lol GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

This game worries me.

Have you seen Croker play since his latest return from injury? He is cooked, seems to have lost all desire to be a first grader. Looks to me like another Darius Boyd situation.

Have you seen Croker play since his latest return from injury? He is cooked, seems to have lost all desire to be a first grader. Looks to me like another Darius Boyd situation.

Yep, and has three more years on his contract apparently...ouch.

Worth pointing out there are not many 30+ year olds (apart from halves) still playing well under the new rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
11 7 4 59 14
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 -10 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 5 5 -56 12