Game Day: Manly v Raiders [Round 8, 2017]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
As a fan week to week I couldn't really care how we eek out a victory as the joy of a big gutsy win is fantastic.

As an objective observer anyone thinks that win was due to anything but individual brilliance and guts was not watching. Our attack in the red zone,service, short kicking game etc was awful and is basically the same most weeks.It will win games here and there but with the future in mind it won't stand up in September.The reason the filthy scum are perennial contenders is great talent but a system that stands up in almost all situations.

I think people seriously underestimate how much raw talent and brilliance is in this side. Guys like DCE Walker Kelly Turbos Kapow AFB Uate etc are excitement machines.With talent like ours and a top line half the eight should be a given but it requires more than that. If this side can find some cohesion and fluidity and get team selections right it is capable of anything.

If we had lost by a point this place would be different of course.A tight win which could have gone either way should not cloke stuff that is obvious. If that cohesion and structure under pressure can be found by our coaching staff this is a serious football side with a premiership not that far away.

Last edited:
Agree Susan, though our short kicking game wasnt poor at all in the 2nd half imo.

As a fan week to week I couldn't really care how we eek out a victory as the joy of a big gutsy win is fantastic.

As an objective observer anyone thinks that win was due to anything but individual brilliance and guts was not watching. Our attack in the red zone,service, short kicking game etc was awful and is basically the same most weeks.It will win games here and there but with the future in mind it won't stand up in September.

I think people seriously underestimate how much raw talent and brilliance is in this side. Guys like DCE Walker Kelly Turbos Kapow AFB Uate etc are excitement machines.With talent like ours and a top line half the eight should be a given but it requires more than that. If this side can find some cohesion and fluidity it is capable of anything.

If we had lost by a point this place would be different of course.A tight win which could have gone either way should not cloke stuff that is obvious. If that cohesion and structure under pressure can be harnessed by our coaching staff this is a serious football side with a premiership not that far away.
I agree about the ability of some of the individuals we've got, but I also like to remind myself it's round 8 and this side is still in it's infancy as a team. Green, Hastings, Sironen and Kelly in particular are key new additions and I'm hopeful the dreadfully clunky attack we have now will be a bit more practiced by July and August.

Agree Susan, though our short kicking game wasnt poor at all in the 2nd half imo.
Yep. Got better late. Main concern is repeat sets from in goal kick when we do attempt them. For some reason in most games we always overcook them.Id rather be short and pin them on the line than give away 7 tackles.

I think one of the reasons we often get caught in the sixth in the red zone is a lack of confidence in getting the repeat set.

Last edited:
Yep. Got better late. Main concern is repeat sets from in goal kick when we do attempt them. For some reason in most games we always overcook them.Id rather be short and pin them on the line than give away 7 tackles.

I think one of the reasons we often get caught in the sixth in the red zone is a lack of confidence in getting the repeat set.
Mate, I may have missed you writing it elsewhere, what did you think of Hastings at Hooker?

I'm not surprised. The guy has 'lest we forget' tattooed on his arm and would have desperately wanted to win the rsl medal. He would have been primed for a big game.

I was surprised he only got 34 minutes (Trent should have known about BL's respect for the armed forces) and his stats weren't that bad.

Plus he would wanted to have done well anyway, I just think the ANZAC round holds special significance for him.

A factor could be that when he replaced Siro, and Api he was down a forward rotation.

Mate, I am not gay for @Ryan and that guy needs no rescuing. I'd back him to out argue you any day. I do understand that sometime his opinions grate on people but I am over the @Ryan bashing from certain people on here and felt I had to have a say as I am also over the bashing of people on here that have contrary views. It is bullying. It is silly, this is a footy forum. I don't get it, we all supposedly support and love the same footy team but fucek me I don't get the fighting. It's not cool.
It's not fighting at all, there are some tongue in cheek stoushes that have 10 years of history on these forums. You may not necessarily know all the machinations within that. If you thought I was bullying Ryan, I wasn't, I was piling it in to him because he favoured Canberra to win. And when Manly got up as I predicted, he was always gonna cop it in lashings. You don't need to fight another man's battle, especially when we PM'd each other and had a giggle about it.
Your comments are all fair looking from the outside, so hope I clarified things a little. Apologies if it upset you Cheers Wombat 64 :)

As an objective observer anyone thinks that win was due to anything but individual brilliance and guts was not watching. Our attack in the red zone,service, short kicking game etc was awful and is basically the same most weeks.It will win games here and there but with the future in mind it won't stand up in September.The reason the filthy scum are perennial contenders is great talent but a system that stands up in almost all situations.

I think people seriously underestimate how much raw talent and brilliance is in this side. Guys like DCE Walker Kelly Turbos Kapow AFB Uate etc are excitement machines.With talent like ours and a top line half the eight should be a given but it requires more than that. If this side can find some cohesion and fluidity and get team selections right it is capable of anything.

If we had lost by a point this place would be different of course.A tight win which could have gone either way should not cloke stuff that is obvious. If that cohesion and structure under pressure can be found by our coaching staff this is a serious football side with a premiership not that far away.
Sorry Susan, but I was that happy with the win, I kept the blinkers on regarding the finer points of our game (I refuse to use those words game management! One of those sayings that the media flog endlessly....a bit like 'moving forward')....anyways individual talent or not, I hope their confidence is up, and they can build better cohesion in the future. (did ya see that?!...not moving forward! lol).;)

I did watch the game live and didn't know what was coming. Without knowing the result I was very impressed with the effort for the whole game unlike reading the comments here where you'd think it was hopeless except for a few who matched my opinion. What I was looking for was some information about some parts of the game like watching a Raiders player playing the ball in the wrong direction and then getting a penalty his way.
A fair number of "supporters" bag the living daylights out of the coach and a few others and then bag the hell out of the players as the game goes on. Worse than that are the declarations that we will never be any good unless the three stooges Barrett , Bozo AND Zorba clear out. If they are so sure of everything why bother watching and bagging a team heading for certain defeat ? I was talking to a Manly sponsor a fair while back and I enjoy his feedback because I get to learn more about behind the scenes. One thing he was saying is that people are saying that Barrett can't coach. I pay no attention to crap like this because these people are clueless. Maybe these clowns could learn from Barrett and not try to pretend that their PANIC is anything other than fiction.
Amen! And that is why they are fair game on this forum. It isn't called a supporters forum for nothing. Most of the trash comments during the game were not even remotely accurate. As for the typical player carve ups....unbelievable! Manly were playing a solid game and knew they would have the gas in the tank for the last 20 minutes. That is how it looked to me and that is how it turned out. Great win, can you imagine our players reading the tripe written at half time.

Spot on. Well said.

Unfortunately some only see the world while standing in the rain, drinking half empty glasses of warm sour milk.

Looking forward to next weekend against the Rabbids. Another winnable game if we turn up. It would be great to jag another win into the bye round.
All in the hands of the players, they are certainly good enough that is for sure. There is some very good development going on with our playing group. Marty is absolutely killing it! and the second rowers are really beginning to gel with the outside men. Get Walker and Kelly good early ball and we will be the Manly of old. Remember when our wingers scored truck loads of tries

Mate, I may have missed you writing it elsewhere, what did you think of Hastings at Hooker?
Was good Ryan given he is new to the task. I like the fact he is not trying to overplay his hand trying to get a starting spot.

Our attack looks smoother as he hits chests out in front both sides of the ruck.As a result of that the halves and forwards hit the ball at pace as they are confident the ball will be out in front of them. The main advantage is it gives the halves time and they play straighter and more at the line than if they are waiting for a pass a bit high or behind them.

People tend to concentrate on the poor quality of the pass itself. Just as important is the lack of confidence this engenders in the receivers as the game goes on. They naturally hesitate and even if the pass is good it makes our attack slower and less direct.Look at the video of the second half v Storm and Raiders. It all looks so much less clunky.

Our last 2 tries are good examples.

Brown moving at pace off a crisp short pass at a defensive line that is retreating rather than being in the face of a hesitant flat footed ball receiver. Turbos try the same. DCE with time laying one on with time to spare to a rampaging backrower.Thise things don't happen if the playmakers are not confident of getting a nice ball and sit and wait on the back foot.

No one has ever doubted Korisaus attitude and commitment and that's why people tend to defend his hooker play.if we had 17 who put in like him it would be great. So it is entirely understandable fans love for the guy but in the end having a 9 with an ordinary passing game and no kicking game is not a long term option for a team with as much raw talents as ours.

Is Hastings the man? He has all the skills in spades for a 9.Lovely pass both ways ,nice kick and WE NEED a GOALKICKER. He also looks like he is a competitor like API. I would have doubts about him in the halves as previously he seems to have struggled with right options. His role at hooker in an organising sense is not as cimplicated and I think he may flourish.

Might be a big call but if he plays hooker and warms to the role (and goalkicks )with API on bench and we had a top level 6 we can win a comp in 2 or 3 years with limited purchases .We gave enormous talent in this side. Throw in Perret as well as the obvious ones. He could be special.

Last edited:
So much potential.
Been building since last year with attitude but we were badly hurt by injuries.

Blokes like Perrett, Lane, Cullen, Hastings, Wright, Parker, Amone all waiting for their time to shine too. Not to mention $1.3m in the bank!

I'm excited about where we are headed as a club and I haven't felt that for a few years.
Hastings must stay in the 17 also, I think he and Api will compliment each other very well regardless of who start. Hastings is a gun! and too good for the bench IMO. Maybe play Api off bench and Hastings starts, plus he should be first choice kicker. Things are coming together quite nicely, they just need to maintain a consistent effort for the full 80. You lapse for 20 minutes in NRL and you get blown away. That nearly happened when the big Raiders forwards, particularly Papali the beast, started belting our pack up. We held on and that shows that bravery and commitment were certainly not lacking.

Clearly Hastings is talented but just get the feeling that Baz wants him to know where he is in the pecking order. Keep his attitude in check.
Brown played great the other night but until then has provided little impact from the bench in my opinion. Tries hard but lacks impact.

I haven't been a fan of using both Brown and Hastings.
I just personally am of the belief that 2 props, an impact bench forward and a utility is the best way to compliment a footy team... but I'm not an NRL coach either....

API and Hastings is a great combination. Compliment each other's skills very well.
Only room for one, no Brown for me. Hastings and 3 big men

Was good Ryan given he is new to the task. I like the fact he is not trying to overplay his hand trying to get a starting spot.

Our attack looks smoother as he hits chests out in front both sides of the ruck.As a result of that the halves and forwards hit the ball at pace as they are confident the ball will be out in front of them. The main advantage is it gives the halves time and they play straighter and more at the line than if they are waiting for a pass a bit high or behind them.

People tend to concentrate on the poor quality of the pass itself. Just as important is the lack of confidence this engenders in the receivers as the game goes on. They naturally hesitate and even if the pass is good it makes our attack slower and less direct.Look at the video of the second half v Storm and Raiders. It all looks so much less clunky.

Our last 2 tries are good examples.

Brown moving at pace off a crisp short pass at a defensive line that is retreating rather than being in the face of a hesitant flat footed ball receiver. Turbos try the same. DCE with time laying one on with time to spare to a rampaging backrower.Thise things don't happen if the playmakers are not confident of getting a nice ball and sit and wait on the back foot.

No one has ever doubted Korisaus attitude and commitment and that's why people tend to defend his hooker play.if we had 17 who put in like him it would be great. So it is entirely understandable fans love for the guy but in the end having a 9 with an ordinary passing game and no kicking game is not a long term option for a team with as much raw talents as ours.

Is Hastings the man? He has all the skills in spades for a 9.Lovely pass both ways ,nice kick and WE NEED a GOALKICKER. He also looks like he is a competitor like API. I would have doubts about him in the halves as previously he seems to have struggled with right options. His role at hooker in an organising sense is not as cimplicated and I think he may flourish.

Might be a big call but if he plays hooker and warms to the role (and goalkicks )with API on bench and we had a top level 6 we can win a comp in 2 or 3 years with limited purchases .We gave enormous talent in this side. Throw in Perret as well as the obvious ones. He could be special.

Absolutely agree with everything right there.

I felt our entire offensive unit had forward momentum, mainly because Hastings first instinct was to straighten the attack.

It's a tough one. In any other circumstance, everyone would want Hastings in the 9, but because of Api's effort & heart, people (including me) want him in the team as well.

That being said, Hastings had a go for 1/2 a game. I'd like us to stick with the status quo for at least 4-5 games, so we can make a more educated decision on what suits us more.

Having a back on the bench isn't such an outrageous thing either these days (not even a utility). Yesterday, The Panthers had Peachey on the bench...Bellamy used to keep Anthony Quinn on the bench in their very successful years.

I know everyone has been pretty harsh on Lewis Brown, but when he gets to play what he was acquired to play for, he looks very good, and thatt's coming on against a tiring defence, running off short balls through gaps, and being very up-tempo. I also feel he looks the better when Hastings is on.

Someone also posted a thread where goal kicking can be the difference in maybe 4-5 games a year. Walker is my favorite current NRL player, so this isn't a sleight on him, but jeez, we need Jackson's boot out there goal kicking wise. In NSW Cup, most of our tries as I've seen have been out very wide (we haven't exactly dominated in the middle of the park), and Hastings has been slotting them from everywhere. I actually think his numbers don't tell the true story here. No way he misses both those kicks on Friday night.

I wonder if we could use Matai & Bullet's money next season, and try and sign Tedesko (to play 6), or Foran, and maybe go something like:

01. Tom Trbojevic
06. James Tedesko / Kieran Foran
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
09. Jackson Hastings

14. Api Koroisou / Blake Green

Hasnt Tedesco and Foran all but signed elsewhere ?

Cannot see either coming to Manly now , under any scenario.

Clearly Hastings is talented but just get the feeling that Baz wants him to know where he is in the pecking order. Keep his attitude in check.
Brown played great the other night but until then has provided little impact from the bench in my opinion. Tries hard but lacks impact.

I haven't been a fan of using both Brown and Hastings.
I just personally am of the belief that 2 props, an impact bench forward and a utility is the best way to compliment a footy team... but I'm not an NRL coach either....

API and Hastings is a great combination. Compliment each other's skills very well.
They do compliment each other's skill well,one can pass,the other can't

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6