Pre-Game Manly v Roosters [Finals Week 2, 2021]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
GAME ON! Head over to the Game Thread!

V

42 6
BB Print Stadium
17 Sep 2021 07:50 PM

Team Lists

silvereagle

Reserve Grader
Harper has done the job all year. Deserves another shot.
Agreed. Harper has been the standout centre this year particularly in defence. I dont see any changes except for Croker back and Lawton back to the bench. Only other change I see is Des tinkering with Sipley on the bench in place of Lawton and hedging his bets on Walker to cover hooker as well. Doubt it as Des is no gambler and does not make changes.

Nordburg

First Grader
Agreed. Harper has been the standout centre this year particularly in defence. I dont see any changes except for Croker back and Lawton back to the bench. Only other change I see is Des tinkering with Sipley on the bench in place of Lawton and hedging his bets on Walker to cover hooker as well. Doubt it as Des is no gambler and does not make changes.
If Sipley comes in,it’ll be for Sironen.Given how little Des uses Sironen,don’t see the point of his inclusion.Game was well over by the time he came on

Tomay

Bencher
The NRL will be aiming for the old rivals South’s vs Chooks storyline.

If we get some go forward before spreading the ball and show desperation in defence we win this one. They should be a much easier proposition in the middle. Hopefully Croker is fit to draw the markers and release Turbo and Dylan in behind them.

manly al

First Grader
Probably just have to be realistic again with the critical bottom line outcome last Friday night, less then 40 % possession and penalty count 9 - 4 against . Was never going to win it with this factor as well as some totally disorganized defence and bad one on one misses . Really just has to be some improved communication in defence again and working as a unit . Hopefully the possession aspect can revert to some better stats , and the attacking options and opportunities used to better advantage . Certainly hope that Croker is available again , not sure that Sipley would be any improvement over Keppie , maybe just who to start as the starting props out of Paseka , Marty and Alioia . Can 't see any point not starting with Schuster and Olokau - atu . Harper "s form will just have to improve if he is retained to give the side its best shot , was n "t the only one to seriously under perform but nowhere near final "s i st grade level . Roosters and with Robertson "s coaching will not leave anything in the tank and if Manly do not respond accordingly and give it their all in a very winable match to progress further , going to be a pretty disappointing finish to their season

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
The walker sub

Walker is proving to be a great addition week in week out on the bench but the question is why he is usually the first interchange for a big bopper.

Is des convinced we dont need the muscle approach or is he on there to get the non existent playmaking position on track when tom is struggling

Its an important question. No one else does is really so it he convinced its a master stroke or is it an admission our starting halves are not getting the job done

Walker straightens the attack up and has been getting more and more game time the more clunky our attack has looked sice teams started slowing tom down . Coincidence .?

We are getting back to the barrett days of collecting players in this role but still not getting the job done in these key positions

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Probably just have to be realistic again with the critical bottom line outcome last Friday night, less then 40 % possession and penalty count 9 - 4 against . Was never going to win it with this factor as well as some totally disorganized defence and bad one on one misses . Really just has to be some improved communication in defence again and working as a unit . Hopefully the possession aspect can revert to some better stats , and the attacking options and opportunities used to better advantage . Certainly hope that Croker is available again , not sure that Sipley would be any improvement over Keppie , maybe just who to start as the starting props out of Paseka , Marty and Alioia . Can 't see any point not starting with Schuster and Olokau - atu . Harper "s form will just have to improve if he is retained to give the side its best shot , was n "t the only one to seriously under perform but nowhere near final "s i st grade level . Roosters and with Robertson "s coaching will not leave anything in the tank and if Manly do not respond accordingly and give it their all in a very winable match to progress further , going to be a pretty disappointing finish to their season
We seem to only dominate posession in high scoring games where we get extra ball due to scoring tries, and having the team under the pump .

When we take that out of the equation we finish on the wrong side of the ledger more often than not due to our approach.

We start semi finals the same way we finish flogging the spooners . We need more than one personality as a team

Tragic Eagle

Tragic
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Harper has looked tired for the last month like he was carrying injuries. He should have been rested before the finals. The Roosters will target our right side so there will be no more chances. On top of that his confidence will be down. Suli is a gamble as he is rocks or diamonds. It's risky either way I am glad its not my decision.

manly al

First Grader
We seem to only dominate posession in high scoring games where we get extra ball due to scoring tries, and having the team under the pump .

When we take that out of the equation we finish on the wrong side of the ledger more often than not due to our approach.

We start semi finals the same way we finish flogging the spooners . We need more than one personality as a team
Unforced errors killed us against the Storm , know that some are inevitable over the whole course of an average game but not so pronounced as for Manly , especially in the i st 20 min . Think that at one stage in the i st half , Storm"s completion rate was something like 17 out of 17 or very high and Manly 7 out of 11 or over double the possession . And then to compound matters , some lack lustre and not well organized defence in the main . Just felt a bit envious when looking at South "s effort especially in defence against the Panthers , playing for each other and just so determined . some of our defence was good in patches , other times just not up to scratch and final "s intensity . Not always easy when constantly on the back foot but the better sides [ and Manly are more then capable ] find a way and aim up regardless. Walker was really the only Manly player who seemed to trouble the Storm "s defensive line , tackling was fairly effective as well and has the extra mobility around the ruck when he comes on to definitely boost the side . See where some go forward considerations could be a factor but the platform should have been set by the time that Walker comes on and quite a few converted backs or lighter players going around as 13 "s or occasional 13 "s these days . Walker is 97 kgs or so , solid enough for a part middle role when needed .

Yaz Eagle

Reserve Grader
Brandy hit the nail on the head this morning - Manly the game as if it was a normal round and not finals. Rather than play the middle game and hold on to the ball we went expansive and spread the ball as our best chance to attack. The remainder of the teams played the middle. I am sure Des will address this for the Roosters game - win the middle of the field then attack out wide. Don’t need score tries every play - I see a big kicking game from DCE, short passes from the ruck, and big runs from our boppers. That will win us the game this weekend.

Marto1970

Reserve Grader
The walker sub

Walker is proving to be a great addition week in week out on the bench but the question is why he is usually the first interchange for a big bopper.

Is des convinced we dont need the muscle approach or is he on there to get the non existent playmaking position on track when tom is struggling

Its an important question. No one else does is really so it he convinced its a master stroke or is it an admission our starting halves are not getting the job done

Walker straightens the attack up and has been getting more and more game time the more clunky our attack has looked sice teams started slowing tom down . Coincidence .?

We are getting back to the barrett days of collecting players in this role but still not getting the job done in these key positions
Radley, Smith/Grant, Murry, Brown,Yeo most teams have that middle player that links to the halves we just change between Jake and Walker,Storm similar When Grant comes on and Smith takes that role, Our halves have been playing well, against the Storm we just got blown off the park, they had us covered right across the field, to fix it starts in the middle to get on the front foot

Shoe1

Journey Man
My apologies if this article has been posted already

That NRL journo Dan Walsh stuffs up again, saying that Manly were in the Townsville dressing room after the game. What a ridiculous concept - flying up to townsville after the the game on the sunshine coast.

This is on the back of him calling Pap's drop goal a "drop punt".

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
That NRL journo Dan Walsh stuffs up again, saying that Manly were in the Townsville dressing room after the game. What a ridiculous concept - flying up to townsville after the the game on the sunshine coast.

This is on the back of him calling Pap's drop goal a "drop punt".
Not many decent sports journo’s left , most have been purged in the great Covid rout.

pt73

Bencher
From the SMH:

‘Blatant penalty’: How the Roosters got lucky with winning field goal

The NRL is reviewing a series of block plays by the Sydney Roosters, including one that involved Sam Walker’s match-winning field goal against the Gold Coast Titans.

For all the headlines about Wayne Bennett and Ivan Cleary trading barbs over block plays, protecting playmakers and influencing officials before games, there was no uproar about Roosters pair Jared Waerea-Hargreaves and Victor Radley forming a wall in front of Walker before he nailed the decisive one-pointer in the 25-24 win.

But it didn’t escape the attention of the NRL, which confirmed it would review the incident on Monday.

Under the NRL’s obstruction rules, it states: “If two or more players form a wall (side by side) next to the play the ball and don’t allow the opportunity for a defending player to move directly towards the player in possession, the referee will penalise for obstruction.”

The Roosters, who defeated the Titans 25-24 to book a semi-final against Manly, also made a point of getting two players to stand next to their teammate playing the ball in the 74th minute and 76th minute.

Former top whistleblower Greg McCallum was convinced the winning play should not have been allowed to stand, and that referee Adam Gee should have penalised the Roosters.

“I thought it was a blatant penalty with the successful field-goal attempt - there was a Roosters player in front of the play the ball, so he was offside,” McCallum told the Herald.

“They also had two players standing next to each other, which is also obstruction. That was clear-cut in my view.

“I know something similar happened with the Newcastle players a few weeks ago when they kicked a field goal, but they were staggered rather than forming an actual wall.

“I follow the game as closely as anyone, and if you set up a block play like the Roosters did, it’s illegal. The defending player needs to go around you and not through you.”

Titans hooker Mitch Rein was at marker and has to brush past the much bigger and heavier Waerea-Hargreaves to get to Walker who never looked like missing.

In the 74th minute, Radley and Isaac Liu also formed a wall with Liu seen moving to his right and contacting Erin Clark who successfully charged down Walker’s first attempt.

Waerea-Hargreaves and Radley are seen sprinting to the play the ball in the 77th minute, with Walker set up behind them to the right, only for the Roosters to spread the ball left.

The Titans could have still won the game with Patrick Herbert’s final pass for unmarked winger Corey Thompson flying into touch.

As for Cleary’s claims the referees risked being influenced by coaches and their pre-match comments, McCallum said that had never been the case, never would be the case, and referees were only worried about refereeing once the whistle was blown.

“When I was involved you expected it [coach’s comments] to happen, especially around Origin time and finals, but if you’re focused on refereeing none of it means anything,” McCallum said.

“Wayne Bennett very rarely made any comment. The only time he contacted me was when Karmichael Hunt first came into the game, he was contacted a fair bit, and Wayne said you need to protect him.

“But all the comments mean nothing to referees and officials. Like Wayne said, ‘it’s good theatre’.”

Penrith players were chipped more than once during play about not blocking Cleary when he kicked, despite not being warned all year.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
11 9 2 82 20
11 8 3 112 18
11 8 3 75 18
11 7 4 65 16
12 7 5 135 14
12 7 5 57 14
11 6 5 -9 14
11 6 5 -38 14
12 6 5 36 13