Pre-Game Manly v Roosters [Round 2, 2024]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
GAME ON! Head over to the Game Thread!

V

21 14
4 Pines Park
17 Mar 2024 04:05 PM

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shame for Lawton who is very injury prone.

Not surprised that Saab is facing 6 weeks.

If there is a better back five than Manly’s, it’s definitely the Chooks. They’ve got size and speed to burn as well. Losing Saab for this match up is a bummer!

The Chooks potential weakness is the halves…Keary and Walker are patchy. They can turn it on and turn it up in equal measure. If they have off days, we can come over the top. If they’re on, it’ll be tough going.
Interestingly Tommy Talau has been picked on the wing for Blacktown this week. Assuming they want to keep Reuben at centre it’s a shootout between Talau and Vaega for Saabs spot.

Raymond and Humphreys will come into the team imo. This causes less disruption to the starting lineup keeping Garrick in the centres. Ray is also very good bringing the ball out of yardage.
He will be targeted with the high ball but if we can win arm wrestle these opportunities will be limited.

Wouldn 't recommend it . Prefer to just let Brown focus on his own game and play tough and uncompromising minus any niggle
Otherwise might be inclined to revert back to his previous or occasional undisciplined manner of play
Sure that the whole Manly pack will be quire prepared and intent to take it up to the Roosters forwards including J W H in an aggressive and largely controlled way similar to the Bunnie's effort
Yeah, he got away with a fine for the swinger to the chops in Vegas, he may not be so lucky if he decides to try and prove something with Hargraves.

Interestingly Tommy Talau has been picked on the wing for Blacktown this week. Assuming they want to keep Reuben at centre it’s a shootout between Talau and Vaega for Saabs spot.
I was not thrilled when Talau joined us but I was pleasantly surprised with how he went in the trials and how much fitter he looked than when he was with the Tigers. I think centre is his best spot and simply moving Rubes back out to the wing would be easy. Rubes prob won't like it but the circumstances might temper that a bit. I like Ray a lot but his high ball against someone like Young could be very problematic.

I was not thrilled when Talau joined us but I was pleasantly surprised with how he went in the trials and how much fitter he looked than when he was with the Tigers. I think centre is his best spot and simply moving Rubes back out to the wing would be easy. Rubes prob won't like it but the circumstances might temper that a bit. I like Ray a lot but his high ball against someone like Young could be very problematic.

How's yer head from the assault in LV..?

How's yer head from the assault in LV..?
Pretty much healed now, thanks mate. In DC now and trying to avoid street signs @:D You back home now?

Unfortunately, I won't back for a few weeks so I'll miss the 1st home game at Brookie against the Roosters. Hmmm, maybe I should put my seat back in to see if someone wants to use it. Not interested in a quick hit and run trip to Brookie??

Last edited:
Pretty much healed now, thanks mate. In DC now and trying to avoid street signs @:D You back home now?

Yup, got back in Monday morning, after getting up at 4am to catch the flight.

Then we took off late as some jerk refused to have his bag taken off the plane and checked in.

There were 400 announcements that there were not enough spaces to stuff your overpacked 'totally legit' bag in the overhead locker, but noooooooooooooo.

He got booted from the plane and that meant his wife, mum, and two kids had to get off as well.

Feral bogans, I tell ya.

At least I was in business class, but still...it's still one plane! lol

Yup, got back in Monday morning, after getting up at 4am to catch the flight.

Then we took off late as some jerk refused to have his bag taken off the plane and checked in.

There were 400 announcements that there were not enough spaces to stuff your overpacked 'totally legit' bag in the overhead locker, but noooooooooooooo.

He got booted from the plane and that meant his wife, mum, and two kids had to get off as well.

Feral bogans, I tell ya.

At least I was in business class, but still...it's still one plane! lol
I was going to say that domestic flights here have thrown up many dodgy characters over the years but then I thought about home .... and it's pretty even I think. Flying seems to bring out the worst in some people. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say it's nerves @:D

Oh and if you missed the edit to my last post - I have an empty seat in the Jane Try Stand for the Roosters game if you want to do a quick hit run from Canada. Mrs GE would be good with that, right. :sweating:

I think we are going to see (after seeing the Blacktown team):

01. Tom Tebojevic
02. Reuben Garrick
03. Brad Parker
04. Tolu Koula
05. Jaxson Paulo

And honestly, I couldn't complain. Chooks outside backs are pretty, but not tough in my opinion. I think a player like Parker could stream roll them.

I think we are going to see (after seeing the Blacktown team):

01. Tom Tebojevic
02. Reuben Garrick
03. Brad Parker
04. Tolu Koula
05. Jaxson Paulo

And honestly, I couldn't complain. Chooks outside backs are pretty, but not tough in my opinion. I think a player like Parker could stream roll them.
My thoughts also, if Parker's on song defence wise, it may frustrate them.

My thoughts also, if Parker's on song defence wise, it may frustrate them.

I think we won’t go with Parker again in the centres. It will change our style of attack that we have been working on all off-season. I feel we want to play an attacking style of football and stress teams out with scoreboard pressure. Garrick will stay in the centres to maintain our pace in the backline.

I think we won’t go with Parker again in the centres. It will change our style of attack that we have been working on all off-season. I feel we want to play an attacking style of football and stress teams out with scoreboard pressure. Garrick will stay in the centres to maintain our pace in the backline.
Agree, on the attacking theme, its just that the Roosters centers look a bit intimidating. Maybe just have Parker for this game only.

Raymond and Humphreys will come into the team imo. This causes less disruption to the starting lineup keeping Garrick in the centres. Ray is also very good bringing the ball out of yardage.
He will be targeted with the high ball but if we can win arm wrestle these opportunities will be limited.
I thnk it will be Talau and Humphreys

As I said every time people complained that we were signing Tigers players, you can't rule out how much a player will improve when they go from a crap club to a good one.

What happened to you in Vegas?? :eek:
Sorry mate, I wasn't ignoring your question but the time difference took its toll and I had to go to bed. As GE very kindly noted for me, I was clocked on the head by a street sign when I was walking around town. It was a combo of me not watching where I was going and the gale force winds causing havoc that day. I was as wobbly as the street sign for a moment o_O but all good now :thumbsup:

Just an aside - after reading your profile piece on the Manly website @globaleagle, it feels weird not to call you by your first name. Ahhhh the price of fame! @:D

Last edited:
If fit Schuster in my opinion will definitely be in the 17, though Seibold may bring him in slowly through the bench leaving Burbo first choice in the back row. Same forward pack with Schuster for Waddell, Humphries for Lawton. Talau or Vaega for Saab's wing.

Ray just needs back up when the bombs go up, Tom or Garrick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8