Pre-Game Manly v Roosters [Round 2, 2024]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
GAME ON! Head over to the Game Thread!

V

21 14
4 Pines Park
17 Mar 2024 04:05 PM

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
That roosters backline is genuinely scary and probably the best in the comp. Both winners are dangerous off bombs. They will be their game plan no doubt. Can't see us winning this unless we dominate the middle and field position which will also be tough.

Roosters pretty much full strength and that backline will destroy us
And with forecast rain on Sunday roosters by a score line of 18-4
think this game will a major wake-up call for us.
On paper that backline is top 3 in the comp. That said ours is pretty handy too. I also feel that Easts are loaded with “stars” that often don’t live up to expectation. Hopefully Teddy does his usual ball hog thing and stifles their attack.

Was curious about the weather too. Does a slow track help us more or them. Prob pretty neutral on that front.

I think you got the score line right but I see it going the other way. Loved our 1st up game against Souths and thought our forwards stood up really well especially when the chips were down. A real solid look around Tom this year but thought Brooks was an absolute revelation in the halves. The Souths tries (apart from one) were directly off individual mistakes in defence and I suspect the guys involved will learn from that. So quite positive about our chances on Sunday.

When ppl cal the Roosters backs deadly, I get it as in outside backs, but our 3 big X factors of Turbo, DCE and Brooksy could well offer more bite.
That said, it's the outside Rooster backs that look scary, but if Manly can contain the middle with a massive forwards effort inspired by a Huge home crowd, we can limit the opportunities of their 2,3,4 and 5 and I think the Manly strike players could well have the edge and break this game open.

Checked out the weather for Sunday, rain to around 3pm then fine. With high humidity It's going to be a greasy ball, Roosters like fast backline movements, tip on's etc, slippery ball, could work in our favour.

I think you got the score line right but I see it going the other way. Loved our 1st up game against Souths and thought our forwards stood up really well especially when the chips were down. A real solid look around Tom this year but thought Brooks was an absolute revelation in the halves. The Souths tries (apart from one) were directly off individual mistakes in defence and I suspect the guys involved will learn from that. So quite positive about our chances on Sunday.
Hope you are right
I want us to beat easts so badly.
Can't stand them as a club.

Checked out the weather for Sunday, rain to around 3pm then fine. With high humidity It's going to be a greasy ball, Roosters like fast backline movements, tip on's etc, slippery ball, could work in our favour.
Hope you are right

I can't see this being anything but a close game...
There halves will be really tested defensively by Okalatu and Ben T.
The forwards look fairly even and both sides have key outs in the middle.
I actually think the X factors we have and at home wil be enough for an 8-10 point Win.
I’ve picked us in the tipping , mainly due to the home ground advantage.

🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

Hope you are right
I want us to beat easts so badly.
Can't stand them as a club.
Me to. You only need to go back to the trials a few weeks back when our reserve grade side almost beat their close to full strength star studded 1st grade side. That's when Young got injured. This time they play our big boys in front of a capacity crowd at Brooky. Hence my good vibes for Sunday. Always fingers crossed!!!

Across the three quarters, the Roosters have a height & weight advantage. If Koula can keep Manu quiet, it would go a long way in assisting a Sea Eagles victory.

Talau 92 kg, 189 cm v. Tupou 105 kg, 196 cm.
Garrick 98 kg, 188 cm v. Sua'ali'i 98 kg, 196 cm
Koula 88 kg, 180 cm v. Manu 98 kg, 192 cm
Paulo 101 kg, 192 cm v. Young 107 kg, 200 cm

Edit: For comparison, here are the dimensions of the Panthers' current three quarters

To'o 97 kg, 182 cm
Tago 93 kg, 184 cm
May 92 kg, 183 cm
Turuva 88 kg, 181 cm

Last edited:
Talau has played 14 of his 48 first grade games at wing.

Personally I agree with it. If you make the desicion to play Garrick at centre and train with him there all off season it would be incredibly week kneed to move him back after 1 game and one injury.
Off season training doesn’t help Garrick’s case at centre.You need quality game time and the Roosters aren’t the team to trial against, especially after his poor defensive efforts against Souths. Talau is a quality centre.

We are taking a huge risk.

Off season training doesn’t help Garrick’s case at centre.You need quality game time and the Roosters aren’t the team to trial against, especially after his poor defensive efforts against Souths. Talau is a quality centre.

We are taking a huge risk.
I like Talau, I think there is talent that has been hampered by injuries.

But lets not stretch the narrative.

Talau has only played 24 more first grade games at starting centre then Garrick has.

As for 'Talau is a quality centre'. Well last year he managed only 10 games at centre for the wooden spoon Tigers losing out more often than not to your Nadans and Toa's of this world.

I like him but if he was good enough he'd have established himself as an NRL starter and won that spot fair and square at Manly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8