Post-Game Discussion Manly v Tigers [Round 27, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Sea Eagles
Vs
Tigers
54 4 Pines Park
01 Sep 2023 18:00
80:00 minute

Match Stats

I remember all the hoo haa on here when we lost him.. hmmm average at best.. really just shows we have all been getting really too excited about so called Junior superstars that may not end up being anything but very average first graders or more possibly just nsw cup players..
Both Harper and Parker look streets ahead and they are very average

He’s an 18 year old kid, rough debut but harsh to criticise him after his very first game. Parker also managed the rare feat of looking poor in a 50 point win so I wouldn’t say he’s streets ahead either. He cannot be a first choice (or even second choice) centre for us any longer if we want to be a serious team

Great last couple of games to finish the season despite the dreadful opposition. Strongly believe we could’ve been in a better position had we played Koula at fullback earlier (and GCKT on the bench) but I guess we’ll never know, better late than never I’ll say. Good signs for next year regardless

He’s an 18 year old kid, rough debut but harsh to criticise him after his very first game. Parker also managed the rare feat of looking poor in a 50 point win so I wouldn’t say he’s streets ahead either. He cannot be a first choice (or even second choice) centre for us any longer if we want to be a serious team

Great last couple of games to finish the season despite the dreadful opposition. Strongly believe we could’ve been in a better position had we played Koula at fullback earlier (and GCKT on the bench) but I guess we’ll never know, better late than never I’ll say. Good signs for next year regardless
Exactly..he's a kid..they debut him way too early.. and we bag our coaching staff and management for not playing our "superstar" juniors.. we did it with Des and now Seibs.
My point is maybe we should let the coaches coach and we just support

Yeah I think Koula at fullback against the fairly shoddy defenses that the Warriors and Penrith threw up against us could've been the difference in those 2 games. Plus GCKT on the bench. I think Seibold should've thrown the dice in those 2 games but hey hindsight is 20/20.

That game really highlighted just how average both Parker and Harper are. There is no faulting their effort but at the end of the day they are just too slow to be anywhere near first grade material. Throw Garrick and Turbo in the centres last night and we would have gone close to scoring 70 pts.

Great way to finish the season. Koula a revelation at fullback and should put a heap of pressure on Tom, which is a good thing. My preference is definitely Tom to centre and Koula to FB. Good problem’s to have..

And Gordy, what a little legend. Clearly a favourite amongst his teammates. Should have been playing months ago, his service is light years ahead of Croker. Should be in the 17 going forward for sure..

That game really highlighted just how average both Parker and Harper are. There is no faulting their effort but at the end of the day they are just too slow to be anywhere near first grade material. Throw Garrick and Turbo in the centres last night and we would have gone close to scoring 70 pts.
Love his defence which is outstanding but Parker is just so slow. Several times last night he got the ball in great position on the end of promising backline moves only for them to die due to his slowness.

Koula or even someone with a yard or two more pace than Parker would have been away. Not to mention what has to be the butchered try of the year.

Love a local junior but the time has come to move from Parker being an automatic starter.

Wow - well played.

I had 2 x $20 bets.

$20 on Manly to win by +50 @$21
$20 on Koula to score 3 plus tries @$15

Total loss of $40.
Yeah, tough luck BD, my son nearly fell off the lounge when Olacalatu scored near the end...pretty funny, what a night.

What a way to start off a game and showing some of the really good things Manly have going for them at the moment , namely the power running ability of Haumole and the sheer speed and finishing ability of Koula .
Plenty of other good contributors as well, hardly the best organized defence against them but full credit to the side for turning on a fairly slick display in front of another really well attended home crowd .
Probably the blue print needed going forward in terms of attacking intent , more wide clearance and spread , trying to move and unsettle any opposition defence more and utilize some serious attacking ability both sides of the ruck .
No reason why Brooks can not add positively to this approach , is going to be some legitimate consideration who may be best suited at the back , Turbo still most likely first option but of course the exceptional running ability of Koula recently , has to come into the equation also .
Garrick should also benefit from a bit more room to move if he is a centre next season and with a quicker wider spread at times and more room to move . add a fit and switched on Schuster on an edge and every chance some really good things emerging from that all round
Fortunate that Koula has been retained for something like another 3 seasons and if he can continue to show that level of ability recently to become a premiere back at Manly , will have to be regarded as such in the usual ways
Sipley again showed he has to be in the mix of i st choice prop options , Keppie was defending well in the main and at least some good signs again there .Bully has surely been retained
Great home crowd , plenty of nice touches from the side , can 't reduce the disappointment of missing the 8 but as good a way of finishing the season as any

Great way to finish the season. Koula a revelation at fullback and should put a heap of pressure on Tom, which is a good thing. My preference is definitely Tom to centre and Koula to FB. Good problem’s to have..

And Gordy, what a little legend. Clearly a favourite amongst his teammates. Should have been playing months ago, his service is light years ahead of Croker. Should be in the 17 going forward for sure..
Know what you're saying but I'd still have Tom at FB, Tom brings more attacking options for us and he'll be busting tackles and setting up Koula and Saab. Our backs next year will be something to watch just got to get the injury monkey off our backs. Surely we are due for a change of fortune on this.

Bit harsh on Harper, don't think he missed a tackle all night and nearly scored after backing up. Like wise with Parker made a lot of telling tackles but geez he should of scored of the DCE grubber, defense A1 attack, D minus.

Know what you're saying but I'd still have Tom at FB, Tom brings more attacking options for us and he'll be busting tackles and setting up Koula and Saab. Our backs next year will be something to watch just got to get the injury monkey off our backs. Surely we are due for a change of fortune on this.
Busting more tackles? Koula busted 19 tackles last night alone, the most this year in the NRL. And I think we need to all admit Toms body is just not up to it. Centre is far less taxing and would prolong his career. Anyway great problem to have.

How about the Bugler playing each time Manly scored?
Now that he’s been recognised he’ll be bombarded with offers to play at Anzac Day ceremonies, weddings, parties, anything.
😉😉😉

Mate I drove down there at 5:45pm and the entire area was a traffic jam. I normally come way earlier but I had earlier commitments. I drove around for 20 mins looking for parking before I gave up and went home!! So bummed I missed it. The only game I’ve missed in years. Based on the numbers driving around looking for parking I reckon you could add another 1000 to that crowd like me who missed out.
Try parking in the streets of Narraweena, to the north of Warringah Rd.
I remember all the hoo haa on here when we lost him.. hmmm average at best.. really just shows we have all been getting really too excited about so called Junior superstars that may not end up being anything but very average first graders or more possibly just nsw cup players..
Both Harper and Parker look streets ahead and they are very average
It was his first game, in a heavily beaten side.

Even Bob Fulton and Graham Eadie had the odd bad game.

Bit harsh on Harper, don't think he missed a tackle all night and nearly scored after backing up. Like wise with Parker made a lot of telling tackles but geez he should of scored of the DCE grubber, defense A1 attack, D minus.
If only our arguably most naturally gifted player, the bloke who has had two stints out of the side this season because of fitness issues and poor form, could apply himself the way these two do every week.*

Parker’s and Harper’s love of playing for Manly, of being part of a team and playing for that team and supporting their teammates, is there for all to see whenever they take the field. It was there again last night.

*We might have finished somewhat higher on the ladder.

Last edited:
What is truly amazing is the fact that the team scored 54 points, and yet the centres played no role in it.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 4 4 -60 8