Post-Game Discussion Manly v Tigers [Round 27, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Sea Eagles
Vs
Tigers
54 4 Pines Park
01 Sep 2023 18:00
80:00 minute

Match Stats

I wish people would take into context who we have played in the past two weeks. Both the Bulldogs and Wests Tigers have defences that would struggle in NSW Cup.

I get the hype about Tolu Koula the fullback. We have finally seen the attacking weapon that his pace says he should be. HOWEVER, outright pace is one thing and there is more to playing fullback than that and I still feel that a fit Tom Trbojevic is far and away our best option for fullback.

Would Penrith or Brisbane or Melbourne have given Koula the room to run like the Dogs and Tigers did??

So for mine I would still be playing a fit Tom Trbojevic at fullback. But I think Koula has shown enough to be the first choice backup should Turbo go down injured again or he's picked for Origin. But I would have Koula (and Reuben Garrick) as the Manly centres in 2024.

100% on the money re Koula.

I wish people would take into context who we have played in the past two weeks. Both the Bulldogs and Wests Tigers have defences that would struggle in NSW Cup.

I get the hype about Tolu Koula the fullback. We have finally seen the attacking weapon that his pace says he should be. HOWEVER, outright pace is one thing and there is more to playing fullback than that and I still feel that a fit Tom Trbojevic is far and away our best option for fullback.

Would Penrith or Brisbane or Melbourne have given Koula the room to run like the Dogs and Tigers did??

So for mine I would still be playing a fit Tom Trbojevic at fullback. But I think Koula has shown enough to be the first choice backup should Turbo go down injured again or he's picked for Origin. But I would have Koula (and Reuben Garrick) as the Manly centres in 2024.
Yeah 100% agree, people forget how destructive Tom is from fullback. Putting Tom in the centers is an easy mark for defenders, and would limit his options in attack.

100% on the money re Koula.

People quickly forget that Turbo won the 2021 Dally M Medal playing just 15 of 24 minor round games ... all from fullback. And he did that against more than just the two teams who'd been anchored to the bottom of the NRL ladder for the previous 2–3 years.

Koula has probably put his hand up to say that he should be the first choice backup instead of Garrick (something I doubt Reubs would be too upset about really). But two good games against teams who would struggle to be competitive in the NSW Cup should not mean we move our Dally M Medal winning fullback to the centres. Playing centre doesn't lessen the chance of injury. After all, he was playing centre for NSW earlier this year when.......

If only our arguably most naturally gifted player, the bloke who has had two stints out of the side this season because of fitness issues and poor form, could apply himself the way these two do every week.*

Parker’s and Harper’s love of playing for Manly, of being part of a team and playing for that team and supporting their teammates, is there for all to see whenever they take the field. It was there again last night.

*We might have finished somewhat higher on the ladder.
I agree in part.
One has amazing skills but doesn't apply himself & the others are below par in skills, but keep trying.
For Manly to rise to the top of the NRL ladder, they'll need to have better than both of those options.

The no.4 centre for Balmain’s Magpies…was that Joe Dirt?

Just kidding. Young Feledy, get rid of the ugly exaggerated hairstyle and treat yourself to a clean shaven face.

A

Was your view from the hill blocked by the people standing up in front of you all game?
mine was for about 15 minutes until we shuffled forwards. Inconsiderate fat slapper. Someone asked her to sit down & she replied the people behind her should stand up.

Last edited:
mine was for about 15 minutes until we shuffled forwards. Inconsiderate fat slapper. Someone asked her to move & she replied the people behind her should stand up.
It’s a jungle out there (on the hill).

There were a few of them in the BFS as well - dickheads that is.

It’s a jungle out there (on the hill).

There were a few of them in the BFS as well - dickheads that is.
No problems with people standing on the hill at the back. Middle of the hill is just fkn annoying. Usually I get in early enough to get my usual spot on the half way line - but as it was an early game & I don't finish till 5. It was a rush & we were in a bit late maybe 20 minutes before kick off.

Most enjoyable things in that game were the two gift tries. When DCE handed one up for Jake in his 200th I swear DCE was the happiest man in a 5-mile radius, I think he enjoyed it more than Jake. Then Saab popped one up for GCKT's first and I think the entire team came in to celebrate. Great moments.

Sing when you're winning, and the last two weeks have not been against the strongest teams. But it was still a good way to finish out the year, basically missing the 8 by two games.

If we can maintain the team spirit shown in those two events we will do OK next year.

I was reflecting on this game & noted that we scored 10 tries, but bombed a heap more through dumb play. In essence, we should have eclipsed our highest ever score of 70 points in a first grade game. It was there for the taking!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8