Manly vs Newtown brawl - 11pm tonight on Fox League

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I was there at that game with good binoculars ... didn't know where to look it was on everywhere ... they won the game and lost in the final

I was there at that game with good binoculars ... didn't know where to look it was on everywhere ... they won the game and lost in the final
Remember listening to the progress reports on the radio [ no T V telecast in Qld country then for this final ] Seemed a good second half comeback but too late . Very disappointing result for Manly considering Newtown pushed the eels the following week in the G F

Remember listening to the progress reports on the radio [ no T V telecast in Qld country then for this final ] Seemed a good second half comeback but too late . Very disappointing result for Manly considering Newtown pushed the eels the following week in the G F

from memory we blew it, or the coaching staff did, as a young Vautin was fresh on the bench but because he was named in the reserves but didn't play in that game he wasn't allowed come on in firsts ... or something like that ... we was robbed Tommy R had the ref conned, he was starting fights all the time ... he should have been sent off, Terry Randall got sent off instead of Broadhurst who was useless after the fight with Steve Bowden because his eyes were so swollen he couldn't see

from memory we blew it, or the coaching staff did, as a young Vautin was fresh on the bench but because he was named in the reserves but didn't play in that game he wasn't allowed come on in firsts ... or something like that ... we was robbed Tommy R had the ref conned, he was starting fights all the time ... he should have been sent off, Terry Randall got sent off instead of Broadhurst who was useless after the fight with Steve Bowden because his eyes were so swollen he couldn't see
How could they have got that so wrong / , never mind partly blind Broadhurst , Blind Freddie could have seen that Bowden and Broadhurst were the main combatants . An all international Manly pack with Vautin and Brown on the bench or reserves , about as formidable as you would get at the time . Manly definitely should have done better with that array of power and talent but such is life .

How could they have got that so wrong / , never mind partly blind Broadhurst , Blind Freddie could have seen that Bowden and Broadhurst were the main combatants . An all international Manly pack with Vautin and Brown on the bench or reserves , about as formidable as you would get at the time . Manly definitely should have done better with that array of power and talent but such is life .
Hate to say it Al - but your right, should've been an almost impossible team to beat at that time.
The fact they were a star studded side with great individuals that at times, lacked team work in comparison to Eels who had a good forward pack and that slick back line that had telepathic vision with each others game - simply too good.
That Manly side when they clicked were Amazing, but was mainly individual plays like the Dazzling Phil Blake at that time.
These GF's broke him imo, if Manly won them he would have went to that next level....oh well....such is life.

I was at the game, Manly went in as favourites and after a tight opening and the game was 0-0 for a while, the brawl occurred and Tommy Ridiculous was the architect of the whole thing. It worked for the Jets because Manly spent the next 20 minutes trying to even up the score after the brawl and the Jets played some great stuff to streak to a 16-0 lead and although Manly put on a brave fight back we fell short 20-15 in the end. Shames we didn't win cause the premiership was there to be won that season.

I think Bowden got suspended for the rest of the season after the Manly brawl. Newtown got to the grand final but not having Bowden was probably a big reason the Eels got on top in the end.

44d145493b8d3ab27ad27f9e2c5d17fc

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8