Marketing Faux Pas

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Berkeley_Eagle said:
whats next the away jersey will change to alternate colors

52nslw.jpg

lol, nice.

Although I am yet to fully measure 'what the big deal is;' (to me) it was mentioned in another thread that the 'blue' was only for training singlets but we've seen those polos at the launch and also worn about that story about the young champ recovering from his coma.

We were told the team polo's are maroon and white...and yet the new ones are being officially worn by the players.

MISLED PEOPLE, MISLEAD!

Fight the power!!!!!

Masked Eagle said:
I'm not sure about Marketing faux pas, the most profitable sports team in the world. Manchester United have multiple different colours and styles of tops different from their traditional red. Seems to work OK for them.

That being said, I love our colours and don't think we need to be too adventurous in style & design to keep something looking good. Keep the maroon and splash blacks and greys and blues and it would be still identifiable as Manly.

The Raiders got photographed for their team photo in their predominatly blue training gear for the pic in the telegraph and for it looks like the waratahs.

Man Spew's original colours were green and gold.

Kiwi Eagle said:
Shoe1 said:
Kiwi Eagle said:
I don't understand what the big deal is !!

Variety amongst the gear is a good thing, there is only so much you can do with a maroon singlet year after year

Yeah penrith's rainbow approach is great right.

Haven't seen it, don't see what harm it could do though ...

All Blacks are 1 of the bigger brands going around, and they have a huge variety of different gear and colours. Others mentioned Man U etc, exactly the same.

I'm sure plenty of people will be buying this new shirt, and that is their choice and I'm sure the club will be enjoying the money that will bring in

As an aside, do you remember one of the most recognizable Manly jerseys which featured Red and Blue on it ?

I am a self confessed hard liner, I don't own that jersey. I'm probably not a good person to poll on this one.

Shoe1 said:
Kiwi Eagle said:
Shoe1 said:
Kiwi Eagle said:

Variety amongst the gear is a good thing, there is only so much you can do with a maroon singlet year after year

All Blacks are 1 of the bigger brands going around, and they have a huge variety of different gear and colours. Others mentioned Man U etc, exactly the same.

I'm sure plenty of people will be buying this new shirt, and that is their choice and I'm sure the club will be enjoying the money that will bring in

As an aside, do you remember one of the most recognizable Manly jerseys which featured Red and Blue on it ?

I am a self confessed hard liner, I don't own that jersey. I'm probably not a good person to poll on this one.

1b.jpg

Kiwi Eagle said:

You'll be surprised what you can do with two colours year after year.

I used to do Graphic Design. It's all up to the person's imagination.

Images, Stripes, Lines, Patterns, ...the list goes on.

If need be, adding a non-Manly colour should only be minimal, so that the predominant colour is still Maroon.

--

Kiwi Eagle said:
Shoe1 said:
Kiwi Eagle said:

The Sponsor's colours of Red and Blue lines were thin.
They weren't the predominant colours.
However, I really HATE the blue collar.

That "supposed" '96 retro jersey is incorrect.
The Pepsi logo and the ARL badge are the 95 ones.

--

As long as we never go down this road again!!!!!!!!!!!!

menzies-green.jpg
greenarrowleft.gif

and yes i know it was only once,
but it left an indelible memory better left forgotton

The training jersey looks good. The Pepsi jersey was also a shock at first, but grew on you.

The light blue is pretty easy on the eye and makes the maroon stand out. Replace the light blue with white and it's more traditional, but maybe a harsher contrast.

Blue tends to make people appear more relaxed than do redder colours, maybe not a bad thing for PR roles?

I NEVER buy anything Manly unless it just maroon and white...not grey..blue...or any other bullsh1t that gets thrown in...look at teh Dragons...still white with red V...nothing else...

mickqld said:
Sky blue........Hmmmmm seems to be the predominant colour used by teams playing at the SFS. Waratahs,Sydney FC.

The colour is actually azure - supposed to be the closest colour of the sky.

Frogz said:
I NEVER buy anything Manly unless it just maroon and white...not grey..blue...or any other bullsh1t that gets thrown in...look at teh Dragons...still white with red V...nothing else...

Very very good point. Drags only ever do Red and White. I can't remember they ever compromise their colours, apart from the Steelers' scarlet red, which is still kinda red.

Does the Drags have any problems with selling merchandise?
Dave Perry ought to know, after all, he was their man before we brought him back to the Northern Beaches.

--

Ramrod said:
Frogz said:

Very very good point. Drags only ever do Red and White. I can't remember they ever compromise their colours, apart from the Steelers' scarlet red, which is still kinda red.

Dave Perry ought to know, after all, he was their man before we brought him back to the Northern Beaches.

--

This years charity shield jersey was black with a red v.
Previously charcoal with a red v

eagles2win said:
Ramrod said:
Frogz said:

--

This years charity shield jersey was black with a red v.
Previously charcoal with a red v

Wow. Freaky.
I suppose Black, White and Grey are still considered neutral type colours.

Decided to go to their store and check out if they use all sorts of other colours and the verdict is, they don't.
http://www.dragonstail.com.au/epages/shop.sf/en_AU/?ViewAction=View&ObjectID=510537

--

Differentiation is King in Marketing.
So issuing Team Photos in anything but Maroon and White is ludicrous.
Training and various Supporter gear needs to still identify the Manly Club.

The Back Office have to believe, as we do, that Manly play in the GF each year.
How will the crowd look if we play Cronulla or the Titans? A sea of light blue???:mad:

The only GF Jersey I didn't buy is the Pepsi one, as it was predominantly the sponsor's logo.

The current jersey is a haphazard collage designed by someone with no aesthetics nor interest in the Manly Identity :mad:

At least we are back to footy and I have happily resurrected my maroon and white stripe 72 and 87 jerseys:)

Hi everyone,

Have been keeping a keen eye on this thread over the past few days. It's been really good hearing all your thoughts on our new range. I certainly prefer to hear lot's of feedback than none at all!

Just to update you all, now that the season is upon us you will see the boys will be wearing their maroon polo's rather than the light blue media polo.

The light blue media polo the boys have been wearing in the off season was an attempt to bring some variety into our retail line. We have had a significant amount of feedback from fans asking for different colour polo's, mainly because having year after year of maroon doesn't make for a very varied wardrobe!

We have certainly taken all your comments on board. I can't guarantee we wont from time to time introduce new colours into our retail lines, I can however guarantee maroon & white are our Club colours and will continue to be our main palette for all our gear.

Now onto the more important stuff, who is excited for 7pm Friday night? I know I am!

Go Manly!

Larissa

Stevo said:
Who gives a s**t what colour they train in?

I prefer Larissa's considered response that this. But to answer the question, I care. That 'azure' is captured in media photos that are reproduced extensively, and it is worn in the official team photo. I have team photos stretching back for years, and this one just looks WRONG!

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6