Mark's "Your Top 8 & Wooden Spoon" 2024 predictions thread.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not even bothering this year with the 8. Spoon on paper would be Tigers or Dragons. Got a feeling the Dogs will continue to struggle as well.

This will be harder than picking the first three for the Melbourne Cup.

Penrith
??????
Dragons

I’ll pick mine before kickoff but it’ll be nothing more than a guess

Only a trial ,but after todays effort against The baby warriors who only had 12 on the field.
Tigers to be DEAD LAST ONCE AGAIN.

1. Riff
2. Chooks
3. Gummies
4. purple scum cheats
5. rabbids
6. Wahs
7. Donkeys
8. Cows

Manly will finish 12th again.

The Goons will get the spoon.

The Riff will make it 4 in a row.

1. Riff
2. Chooks
3. Gummies
4. purple scum cheats
5. rabbids
6. Wahs
7. Donkeys
8. Cows

Manly will finish 12th again.

The Goons will get the spoon.

The Riff will make it 4 in a row.
This will be pretty close, and no doubt your 12th selection is based on the usual injuries we will get.

I think I see us making the 8 ( just ) based on “ surely it’s time for the injury gods to shine on us !!

Out of your lot above I’m not sure on the Cowboys , so I think we just slip into the 8.

This will be pretty close, and no doubt your 12th selection is based on the usual injuries we will get.
NRL Seasons are not just based on Setbacks but also Resilience
Setbacks are part of life and Resilience are part of a winning culture

The fact is no coach can afford the setback of missing finals
Two years in a row and it death row
Mr Penn has been always right when he said its a results driven game
Look what happened to the Tigers failed Hierarchy . They were driven out of Tiger town

I think I see us making the 8 ( just ) based on “ surely it’s time for the injury gods to shine on us !!

Out of your lot above I’m not sure on the Cowboys , so I think we just slip into the 8.
I hope you're right Mark, but I don't see anything that suggests our forward pack has improved. That and Tom being out is what cruelled last season. If Tom stays healthy, maybe you will be right, but I am not at all optimistic that Tom will stay healthy.

I hope you're right Mark, but I don't see anything that suggests our forward pack has improved. That and Tom being out is what cruelled last season. If Tom stays healthy, maybe you will be right, but I am not at all optimistic that Tom will stay healthy.
Neither am I but Koula can go to fullback, and you saw what he can do last year.

Donkey’s
Panthers
Rorters
Storm
Sharks
Cowboys
Parramatta
Manly (hoping for 2 or 3 players to be unearthed and make the most of their chances when injuries hit and origin is on)

Spoon...Dragons

Panthers ( as long as Cleary isn’t injured)
Rabbits (as long a Trell isn’t injured)
Sea Eagles (as long as Turbo isn’t injured)
Storm
Warriors
Broncos
Roosters
Sharks

“pie in the sky” stuff really, as Knights, Eels, Dolphins, Titans and Cowboys could also fit in the Top 8.

In reality, I think there are only four teams who probably won’t be there:
Tigers
Dragons
Bulldogs (could surprise being Penrith version 2)
Raiders (I don’t like their spine)

It all comes down to injuries and I think there will be plenty of upsets this year.

Once Lodge is back from injury and if Schu plays to his potential, the Sea Eagles will be right up there.

Panthers
Broncos
Warriors
Storm
Roosters
Rabbits
Sea Eagles
Dolphins

First four did well last year and still strong enough to be there.

Next three look like they have enough talent to do better than last year.

Phins did well in their first year + recruited well + have Bennett.

Dragons last

I placed a bet on a Parramatta Vs Manly grand final this year

I think Brooks represents a piece Manly has been missing. With such, if Manly can keep him, DCE, Turbo and especially Jake T on the field for the majority of the season, they should be serious contenders

Manly barely missed the 8 last year with Jake T and Turbo missing for half the year

If they had played most games, with a half like Brooks playing alongside DCE, I think it would have been a very different story

Manly are a completely different team in terms of confidence with Jake T, than they are without him

Same goes for Parramatta

Parra were only 1 win out of the top 8, even after losing hooker (Josh Hodgeson) not even half way into the season, and being without key players for extended periods. Shaun Lane (14 weeks) RCG (10 weeks) Dylan Brown (7 weeks) Moses (5 weeks) Sivo (4 weeks)

I think both teams will push for at least top 4 this season, if they can keep their key players fit, healthy and on the field

1000004643.jpg

Last edited:
I placed a bet on a Parramatta Vs Manly grand final this year

I think Brooks represents a piece Manly has been missing. With such, if Manly can keep him, DCE, Turbo and especially Jake T on the field for the majority of the season, they should be serious contenders

Manly barely missed the 8 last year with Jake T and Turbo missing for half the year

If they had played most games, with a half like Brooks playing alongside DCE, I think it would have been a very different story

Manly are a completely different team in terms of confidence with Jake T, than they are without him

Same goes for Parramatta

Parra were only 1 win out of the top 8, even after losing hooker (Josh Hodgeson) not even half way into the season, and being without key players for extended periods. Shaun Lane (14 weeks) RCG (10 weeks) Dylan Brown (7 weeks) Moses (5 weeks) Sivo (4 weeks)

I think if both teams will push for at least top 4 this season, if they can keep their key players fit, healthy and on the field

View attachment 26080
Hadn't considered the Eels, but it's all so close nothing should be a shock.
I was half expecting Warriors might slip back a bit but I saw a bit of their trial and looked like a huge crowd there - that can make a massive difference! Knights similar, after years of missing they now have hope and with fans behind them at home .. well it makes a difference.

Add to that the Sharks with another soft draw .. I will make my selection after trials are done, but starting to think one or 2 of the big clubs may actually miss out this year. Sure hope so!

Penriff
Rorters
Donkeys
Warriors
 Drizzle
 Vermin
 Drugcastle
Gummies ( only due to another easy draw)

Manly 11th
Warriors premiers
Tigers spoon

Penrith
Donkeys
Rorters
Warriors

Based on last year and trial performances

Rabbits
Storm ( starting to slip)
Sharks ( as others have said soft draw)
Manly

I think with a little luck we might just make the 8 , but we will be only cannon fodder with the forwards we have.

Should Tissue get injured ( highly likely ) and be out for another season we’ll slip back to that 11th /12th spot and the Eels will move into 8th.

Spoon , Dragons I think as Bulldogs / Tigers should improve but I can’t see much improvement in the Dragons

In reality only the top 4 are a safe bet.

Roosters
Broncos
Panthers
Warriors
Rabbits
Storm
Sharks
Eels

10th Manly
Spoon Dragons

Grand final Broncos vs Warriors
Broncos win by 26-10