Matai's ultimatum?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Kiwi Eagle link said:
If you look around the comp, you can only fit so many rep players into a side these days, Brisbane are the best example, years ago had plenty, now not a lot outside of Hodges, Lockyer and Folau who use a lot of cap space.

Our squad has plenty of current or recent rep players, Both Stewarts, Kite, Watmough, Lyon, and we can add Foran to that as well for next season and possibly count Ballin and King into that group now (have left Perry and Matai out as they won't be around next year most likely)

imo, the club has decided to build itself around a base of B Stewart, Foran, Lyon, G Stewart, Watmough and Ballin for the next few years.  Imo it is a pretty good core to build a squad around, the key to it is filling the gaps with some reasonably cheap talent that you can build on

Good point Kiwi. We had 9 players that backed up from rep duties against saints. Sure some of these guys are lacking in form, but there is obvious talent there. Make no mistake, this game is just about your mental toughness, as it is physical. These guys will turn it around. They have copped plenty this week and I am certain they are going to have a dig this week.

Kiwi Eagle link said:
If you look around the comp, you can only fit so many rep players into a side these days, Brisbane are the best example, years ago had plenty, now not a lot outside of Hodges, Lockyer and Folau who use a lot of cap space.

Our squad has plenty of current or recent rep players, Both Stewarts, Kite, Watmough, Lyon, and we can add Foran to that as well for next season and possibly count Ballin and King into that group now (have left Perry and Matai out as they won't be around next year most likely)

imo, the club has decided to build itself around a base of B Stewart, Foran, Lyon, G Stewart, Watmough and Ballin for the next few years.  Imo it is a pretty good core to build a squad around, the key to it is filling the gaps with some reasonably cheap talent that you can build on

Well put. It is a good core group of players to build a team around and hopefully they will be all fully fit for the whole of next season...

Matai needs to take the highest offer because with his injuries his playing career may not be a long one.  At least that is the view of the coaching staff

Here is a wee update, maybe we are not completely out of the race reading this ? Probably me being too optimistic though

From his managers mouth "He wants to have a look around rather than just signing with Manly"

The "rather than" part is the bit that still carries a bit of hope for me

Lets see:-

01. Brett Stewart
02. Michael Robertson
03. Ben Farrar
04. Jamie Lyon
05. David Williams
06. Keiran Foran
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Jason King
09. Matt Ballin
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Shane Rodney
13. Glenn Stewart

14. Chris Bailey
15. George Rose
16. Matt Cross
17. Tony Williams

Now, I don't know if you have seen who The Dragqueen's have just signed, but their roster is very daunting compared to ours.

Kiwi Eagle link said:
And their roster is about to be torn apart due to that signing Ryan

Look at our bench though. The dark days with Dunley, Huamono, Heckenberg & Harris on the bench were stronger.

Like I say though, this is was always going to be destined....UNLESS we cheated the cap, and with 1/2 our team off for bigger contracts, you can tell we aint.

You have left Galuvao off the bench mate, I think he is terrific value for a bench player, comes on and goes hard and straight. Cross can be the same bloke for us, and play a Glenn Hall role. Rose is good enough and if Tony is on the bench, he can provide plenty of impact inside a defined role

Kiwi Eagle link said:
Here is a wee update, maybe we are not completely out of the race reading this ? Probably me being too optimistic though

From his managers mouth \"He wants to have a look around rather than just signing with Manly\"

The \"rather than\" part is the bit that still carries a bit of hope for me
I hope its a some hope KE

Lowe was on FSN this afternoon and said two things
1) Foran will be at manly next year despite having signed on the dotted line.
2) We are still hopeful of keeping Matai

sounds good lets hope he that both happen.

Mate this Matai thing is affecting my life haha, I am listening to every bloody news report for some info on it, am desperate that he will stay. I had a nightmare the other night, Matai was sitting at a table with Wayne Bennett signing with the Drags !! haha

Matai, yes, just one player, makes  us incredibly more well balanced. Example:-

01. Brett Stewart
02. Michael Robertson
03. Steve Matai / Dean Whare
04. Jamie Lyon
05. David Williams
06. Keiran Foran
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Jason King
09. Matt Ballin
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Shane Rodney
13. Glenn Stewart

14. Ben Farrar / Will Hopoate / Jamie Buhrer
15. George Rose
16. Matt Cross / Joe Galuvao
17. Tony Williams / Darcy Lussick

I'd have Whare at 3 and put Farrar on the bench replacing Bailey. Whare is still a little green but his potential is astronomical. Give him time and his defensive inefficiencies will be gone. No question about his attacking ability. He will become a great player for us if we can keep him.

Kiwi Eagle link said:
Mate this Matai thing is affecting my life haha, I am listening to every bloody news report for some info on it, am desperate that he will stay. I had a nightmare the other night, Matai was sitting at a table with Wayne Bennett signing with the Drags !! haha

I dreamt that I was pashing the blonde chick out of "Packed to the Rafters", chewing on each others lips for hours....was hot, hot, hot. At the end, she actually said to me:-

"Look, this is a dream, so get one of your friends to video record it on your phone to show & prove them it was real".

LoL  

Wish that was a recurrer

Ryan link said:
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=183987.msg274100#msg274100 date=1279005916]

I dreamt that I was pashing the blonde chick out of "Packed to the Rafters", chewing on each others lips for hours....was hot, hot, hot. At the end, she actually said to me:-

"Look, this is a dream, so get one of your friends to video record it on your phone to show & prove them it was real".

LoL 

Wish that was a recurrer
[/quote]

Haha good man, sadly those dreams don't come around often enough haha

Kiwi Eagle link said:
[quote author=Ryan link=topic=183987.msg274103#msg274103 date=1279006158]

LoL 

Wish that was a recurrer
[/quote]

Haha good man, sadly those dreams don't come around often enough haha
[/quote]

I know....and to make it worse...I was awoken by my own missus snoring ! Man she'd kill me if she knew I wrote that ! Hehehehe

Ryan link said:

LoL 

Wish that was a recurrer
[/quote]

that chick is certainly rather hot....that is I assume you DONT mean Rebecca Gibney?

Ryan link said:
Matai, yes, just one player, makes  us incredibly more well balanced. Example:-

01. Brett Stewart
02. Michael Robertson
04. Jamie Lyon
05. David Williams
06. Keiran Foran
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Jason King
09. Matt Ballin
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Shane Rodney
13. Glenn Stewart

15. George Rose

I don't mind that team Ryan but I have no confidence in DCE he is a tooth pick and in defence he will make Soward look like Igor

reyam link said:
[quote author=Ryan link=topic=183987.msg274101#msg274101 date=1279005997]
Matai, yes, just one player, makes  us incredibly more well balanced. Example:-

01. Brett Stewart
02. Michael Robertson
04. Jamie Lyon
05. David Williams
06. Keiran Foran
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Jason King
09. Matt Ballin
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Shane Rodney
13. Glenn Stewart

15. George Rose

I don't mind that team Ryan but I have no confidence in DCE he is a tooth pick and in defence he will make Soward look like Igor
[/quote]
..  why cant we just protect him on the field.. other teams do it with their half backs, im sure given sometime he will be more effective than say benji marshall or sandow.. we have to eventually play him dont we .. might as well give him a taste especially if we lose  next week..

jjai link said:
[quote author=reyam link=topic=183987.msg274122#msg274122 date=1279007624]
[quote author=Ryan link=topic=183987.msg274101#msg274101 date=1279005997]
Matai, yes, just one player, makes  us incredibly more well balanced. Example:-

01. Brett Stewart
02. Michael Robertson
04. Jamie Lyon
05. David Williams
06. Keiran Foran
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Jason King
09. Matt Ballin
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Shane Rodney
13. Glenn Stewart

15. George Rose

[/quote]
..  why cant we just protect him on the field.. other teams do it with their half backs, im sure given sometime he will be more effective than say benji marshall or sandow.. we have to eventually play him dont we .. might as well give him a taste especially if we lose  next week..
[/quote]
      I agree play him now so we can make up our mind I can see us getting to the end of the first month next year and going what do we do now. I hope I'm wrong but in my opinion he is not up to it

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6