Matt Lodge

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
When we are getting torn a new arsehole from literally game one through the middles and forwards, I'll revisit this thread and some of the comments here. We had plenty of excuses last year winning 40 something percent of our games, so I'm sure there will be many more on standby next season, too.

What don't people get? We've lost a number of forwards including regulars like Woods, Keppie, Tuilagi, & developing players like Fainu 1&2, Tuitavake, Fifita & bottom tier depth in Condon, Boyle, Fulton & a host of others, to be able to keep just a few players (already here) that have helped steer us to 11th and 12th place consecutive finishes - but people expect magically a huge uptick - to compete with the likes of Penrith? Hahahaha

Unless our new recruiters pull something amazing out of their arses, once again, we'll keep getting dominated in the forwards, which will leave our backs with a very hard job to do, and it'll be the same old, same old - okay against the dunces, dominated by the decent teams.

When we are getting torn a new arsehole from literally game one through the middles and forwards, I'll revisit this thread and some of the comments here. We had plenty of excuses last year winning 40 something percent of our games, so I'm sure there will be many more on standby next season, too.

What don't people get? We've lost a number of forwards including regulars like Woods, Keppie, Tuilagi, & developing players like Fainu 1&2, Tuitavake, Fifita & bottom tier depth in Condon, Boyle, Fulton & a host of others, to be able to keep just a few players (already here) that have helped steer us to 11th and 12th place consecutive finishes - but people expect magically a huge uptick - to compete with the likes of Penrith? Hahahaha

Unless our new recruiters pull something amazing out of their arses, once again, we'll keep getting dominated in the forwards, which will leave our backs with a very hard job to do, and it'll be the same old, same old - okay against the dunces, dominated by the decent teams.
Have a bit of faith Ryan, apart from Samuela the rest were pretty much disposable. 2024 is another season, a lot can happen. Turbo stays fit and healthy and with an improved forward pack, we'll give it our best shot.

The Donkeys of 2023 are pretty much the same group of players as 2022. As a team they improved a fair bit. Young blokes in the forwards grew up a bit. Add a ball playing fullback with some toe and bam.

It doesn't take much at times.

Think about our lack of wrestle towards mostly getting owned in the ruck, that not finding our stomach to get to our feet quicker, and that controlling the player when tackling them to get em on their back.

If ya go from the worst at it to the best at it, it's a huge difference to the speed of your play and the time you've got to defend.

We still need some pieces to the puzzle, but it can turn around and turn around quickly.

The Donkeys of 2023 are pretty much the same group of players as 2022. As a team they improved a fair bit. Young blokes in the forwards grew up a bit. Add a ball playing fullback with some toe and bam.

It doesn't take much at times.

Think about our lack of wrestle towards mostly getting owned in the ruck, that not finding our stomach to get to our feet quicker, and that controlling the player when tackling them to get em on their back.

If ya go from the worst at it to the best at it, it's a huge difference to the speed of your play and the time you've got to defend.

We still need some pieces to the puzzle, but it can turn around and turn around quickly.
Seibs gave a lot of the Broncos current stars their debut. A bit early at the time but he knew what he was doing.

Out of curiosity, who are you worried about losing there?

Samuela...fine, agreed, I like his potential.

Keppie I wouldnt have in out top 17 next year if he was here.

Tuilagi and Woods where constantly derided on here and not without reason.

Tuitavake and Fifita can't make grade at the Dragons.

Condon, Boyle and Fulton who are reserve grade quality.

I understand your concern that we are bit short in the forwards but we'll bring in a player or two.

Nobody is going to miss Condon or Boyle...

I understand your concern that we are bit short in the forwards but we'll bring in a player or two.
Haven't lost any starters but we have let all our depth players go. Unless we sign a few front rowers we are 3 injuries away from starting Burbo at prop.

I'm worried about the collective @Disco .

• Shedding quality youth is a mistake;
  • Signing seriously injured players is a mistake;
  • Playing players out of position is a mistake;
  • Paying huge $$ to existing players who've achieved nothing is a mistake;
  • Releasing a raft of depth without replacement is a mistake;
  • Carrying habitually injured players like Aloiai is a mistake;
  • Doing the same thing (less depth), and expecting something different is a mistake

Mate, we are paying a huge contract (soaking up cap) and giving a top 30 contract to a lumbering, big sized forward who we have no idea when he'll return (forget potential setbacks). That sets us behind the rest of the league cap wise by say 7-8%. We can't afford that.

People claiming Tommy is the answer to all the problems are off too. We were at 40% win rate when he was injured yet again. I also have no faith he'll remain healthy.

Anyways, yeah, unless I see a FEW marquee forwards brought in, we should all temper our expectations. We are going to so much closer to disaster in the event of injury given the depth we've lost (and lack of replacements).

Paseka - always injured
Aloiai - always injured
Lodge - always injured
Schuster - always injured OR out of form
etc etc etc...

So a mix of all the above mate

All in all, our roster is looking stronger for next season. Our outside backs and playmaking stocks have improved, as well as the quality of our middle forwards (although we are certainly short in depth, particularly in the backrow). Sam Fainu is a massive loss, and we will need at least 1 more quality recruit to our forwards. Obviously our fate really lies with injury and form to our key players

Think that suggested 600 k value for Lodge related back to when he first came onto the scene at Manly last season and the N R L inferring that he would be classified at a full season value around that figure if indeed he was available for the duration of a full season
Quite acceptable then with the certain arrangement Manly had with Lodge at one K a match but to be revised at least on an official level again if any full season situation was the case .
Obviously now Lodge will not be available until apparently May or so next season so would only expect then some realistic realignment of that 600 K amount .
Surely would be considerably less then 600 K for whatever time Lodge was then able to be available .
Well if that is not the case , also surely would be a definite anomaly in regard to any realistic payment for Lodge "s services to Manly in season 24 then

When AFB left we never really found another pack leader. Lodge is a similar style of player and the leader we have missed. He’s worth the big bucks IMO.

paseka, lodge, jake starting middles
sipley, bullemor, aloai bench middles
james, navale cover
connor watson would be the perfect signing to play the dylan walker role of a 60 min lock coming on after 20 mins and will help manly drastically

I'm worried about the collective @Disco .

• Shedding quality youth is a mistake;
  • Signing seriously injured players is a mistake;
  • Playing players out of position is a mistake;
  • Paying huge $$ to existing players who've achieved nothing is a mistake;
  • Releasing a raft of depth without replacement is a mistake;
  • Carrying habitually injured players like Aloiai is a mistake;
  • Doing the same thing (less depth), and expecting something different is a mistake

Mate, we are paying a huge contract (soaking up cap) and giving a top 30 contract to a lumbering, big sized forward who we have no idea when he'll return (forget potential setbacks). That sets us behind the rest of the league cap wise by say 7-8%. We can't afford that.

People claiming Tommy is the answer to all the problems are off too. We were at 40% win rate when he was injured yet again. I also have no faith he'll remain healthy.

Anyways, yeah, unless I see a FEW marquee forwards brought in, we should all temper our expectations. We are going to so much closer to disaster in the event of injury given the depth we've lost (and lack of replacements).

Paseka - always injured
Aloiai - always injured
Lodge - always injured
Schuster - always injured OR out of form
etc etc etc...

So a mix of all the above mate
I think you're exaggerating a bit saying Paseka is "always injured". Yes he's had some injuries but not many players don't get injured now and then. For the last four years he's played; 18 games in 2020, 24 games in 2021, 11 games 2022 and 18 games in 2023. I'd hardly call that "always injured". And the injury this year was due to pretty ****ed up foul play - not really a problem with his physiological make up (like, for example Turbo). Likewise with Lodge, I don't recall him being injured all that often. I think suspension is more his issue, which is far more fixable. I'm not saying we're necessarily going to be world-beaters next year, but I'm not prepared to write us off like you seem to have, as this early stage.

I think you're exaggerating a bit saying Paseka is "always injured". Yes he's had some injuries but not many players don't get injured now and then. For the last four years he's played; 18 games in 2020, 24 games in 2021, 11 games 2022 and 18 games in 2023. I'd hardly call that "always injured". And the injury this year was due to pretty ****ed up foul play - not really a problem with his physiological make up (like, for example Turbo). Likewise with Lodge, I don't recall him being injured all that often. I think suspension is more his issue, which is far more fixable. I'm not saying we're necessarily going to be world-beaters next year, but I'm not prepared to write us off like you seem to have, as this early stage.
It's when he gets injured, usually at the business end of a season with semi final prospects or when he's hitting peak form.

2023: Played 18 of 24 games (missed 25% of the season)
2022: Played 11 of 24 games (missed 54% of the season)
2021: Played 24 of 24 games (missed 0% of the season)
2021: Played 3 of 3 finals games (missed 0% of the finals)
2020: Played 18 of 20 games (missed 10% of the season)
2019: Played 13 of 24 games (missed 45% of the season)
2019: Played 0 of 2 finals games (missed 100% of the finals)
2018: Played 13 of 24 games (missed 45% of the season)

In total: Played exactly 100 games (including finals) of 145 games. That means, in his career, he is missing 31% of the time (or one in every three games).

To me, that's always injured. Pinning your hopes on a player that's there 66.6% of the time is a concern.

I'm actually shocked there is so much support for Lodge on here. I hope those views are right and he proves me wrong as a Manly fan.

However, If I owned a business, there would be zero chance I would hire someone with a history of performing well for a short period of time, and then down the track those same employers paying him out because they no longer want him in their business. This not just happened once but 3 times! He is toxic.

If we want a rehabilitation project, then pay him minimum wage. But to sign him for a decent size contract and then also to move on good eggs like Keppie as well is just crazy in my view. On the back of that Lodge is ageing and coming off a serious injury.

By the way, who are we actually bidding (competing) against when offering him a decent-sized contract? No one else wants to touch him. The Roosters, Broncos, and Warriors actually paid for him NOT TO PLAY FOR THEM!

Anyway, this is my last post on Lodge for now as I've probably said enough.

paseka, lodge, jake starting middles
sipley, bullemor, aloai bench middles
james, navale cover
connor watson would be the perfect signing to play the dylan walker role of a 60 min lock coming on after 20 mins and will help manly drastically
Watson hasn't been sighted much since he left the Knights, similar to Lawton very injury prone, no thanks.

I'm actually shocked there is so much support for Lodge on here. I hope those views are right and he proves me wrong as a Manly fan.

However, If I owned a business, there would be zero chance I would hire someone with a history of performing well for a short period of time, and then down the track those same employers paying him out because they no longer want him in their business. This not just happened once but 3 times! He is toxic.

If we want a rehabilitation project, then pay him minimum wage. But to sign him for a decent size contract and then also to move on good eggs like Keppie as well is just crazy in my view. On the back of that Lodge is ageing and coming off a serious injury.

By the way, who are we actually bidding (competing) against when offering him a decent-sized contract? No one else wants to touch him. The Roosters, Broncos, and Warriors actually paid for him NOT TO PLAY FOR THEM!

Anyway, this is my last post on Lodge for now as I've probably said enough.

Sign him on close to min wages for 2024 and upgrade his contract if he stays fit and plays nice with his teammates / employers.

As you said, there is no demand for the guy. However we are throwing signed players out of the club to accommodate him.

Very strange

2023: Played 18 of 24 games (missed 25% of the season)
2022: Played 11 of 24 games (missed 54% of the season)
2021: Played 24 of 24 games (missed 0% of the season)
2021: Played 3 of 3 finals games (missed 0% of the finals)
2020: Played 18 of 20 games (missed 10% of the season)
2019: Played 13 of 24 games (missed 45% of the season)
2019: Played 0 of 2 finals games (missed 100% of the finals)
2018: Played 13 of 24 games (missed 45% of the season)

In total: Played exactly 100 games (including finals) of 145 games. That means, in his career, he is missing 31% of the time (or one in every three games).

To me, that's always injured. Pinning your hopes on a player that's there 66.6% of the time is a concern.
Not quite -
You forget that it took him a while to be regular first grader...

In 2018 he also played 6 reserve games for Blacktown, so a total of 19 games
in 2019 he played 5 so a total of 18 games
2022 also played 4 so a total of 15

So more like 115 games out of 145 ... which is 79.5% ... meaning he plays 4 of every 5

Agree the higher he can get that percentage the better for us, but it's not as bad as you thought. At Panthers JFH and Leota probably average more like 90% and it does make a difference.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 3 5 -55 8