Matty Ballin

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
One thing I have noticed about Matty's game in the past few weeks, and its happened more frequently since the Sharks game when Hodges came back into the side, is that he is trying to run more from dummy half. The problem is that he is fairly slow and not a good dummy half runner. Its not his natural game and quite frankly, its not working for him.

Credit to him for trying to adjust, but running simply isn't his go. It never has been.

Realistically though, the only thing that Hodges does better is dummy half running. His passing and tackling aren't as good as Matty's.

After the depressing day we have had it's great to read something uplifting like this...

image.jpg

Another Manly Legend!!

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/premiership-hooker-matt-ballin-admits-hes-been-told-by-manly-sea-eagles-hes-not-wanted/story-fnp0lyn3-1227463057508

Premiership hooker Matt Ballin admits he’s been told by Manly Sea Eagles he’s not wanted

• BEN GLOVER
  • FOX SPORTS
  • JULY 30, 2015 11:52AM

MATT Ballin has confirmed he is one of the 14 players reported to be out of favour at Manly, but says he’s not going anywhere.

Reports emerged last week that Ballin was one of five contracted players the Sea Eagles were keen to get off their books and the premiership hooker on Thursday told Fox Sports News he had been given the tap on the shoulder.

Asked if it had been communicated to him that he was not wanted, Ballin replied: “Yeah it has. I’m fully aware of that.

“I disagree with what their reasons are and I’m going to stand up for what I believe in and what I believe is best for the club and myself.”

Ballin played a key role in the Sea Eagles premiership teams of 2008 and 2011 and seemed to be a big part of the club’s vision for the future when he was re-signed until the end of the 2017 season back in May.

A lot’s changed since then, with club legend Bob Fulton taking a consultancy role to oversee Manly’s rebuild and Penrith assistant Trent Barrett signed to take over the coaching role next season.

Those major changes, with the Barrett signing unconfirmed until Geoff Toovey was formally sacked by the club on Monday, ignited speculation that a player clean out was on the cards, but only this week has it come home to roost.

With a two-year contract still to serve, the ball is in 31-year-old Ballin’s court if he wants to stick around, and that’s exactly what he intends to do, despite the arrivals of emerging young hookers Api Koroisau and Matt Parcell, who have both signed on for next season.

“I decided to stay at the club at the start of the year when things weren’t good and I wanted to make the club a better place,” Ballin said.

“I’m still of that same belief and nothing’s changed for me.”

Ballin’s fate was sealed by the unseating of one of his biggest supporters, Toovey, so the veteran rake was naturally disappointed with the way his coach had been discarded.

However, like Toovey, Ballin refused to take pot shots at the club or Barrett, saying he would continue to give his best while he was at the Sea Eagles.

“Tooves has handled himself with the utmost respect and the utmost credibility that anyone could ever handle themselves with I think,” Ballin said.

“He’s set a great example for the rest of the side on how to handle ourselves in this situation and we really see the qualities of a person when they’re faced with this sort of adversity.

“He’s handled himself in this way and said nothing about the club, he’s only supported them. “And for players, I respect him so much and I just think we can take his lead for how he’s treated the club and when he walks away from the club he knows he’s done everything he can and that’s all anyone can really do.

“He can be proud of himself about that.”

Ballin was cool on Barrett’s arrival at the club but said the former St George Illawarra star would have the benefit of a clean slate when he arrives.

“I haven’t seen him at the club, and I’m not sure if he’s contacted players,” Ballin said.

“In regards to myself, I know he hasn’t contacted me. I’m not sure about other players, I can’t speak on their behalf.

“I don’t really know Trent. I’ve met him a few times on the field and he seems like a really decent guy.

“His coaching record, I don’t know what that is. I know he’s been at Penrith for a little while but I can’t really judge him.

“He’ll start at Manly and then he can be judged on his performance there. We’ll see how the club goes next year under him.”

I don't know what the club are thinking trying to turf out Ballin. Even if he isn't up to first grade in their eyes he is too good an influence to just get rid of.

Ballin is a Manly general through and through!
Can see Api playing 5/8 next year with Parcell and Ballin sharing hooker.
Hodges will be let go.

Ballin reminds me a lot of Beaver: in that he's a well spoken man with very few negatives in his vocabulary. I admit that I think he's struggled somewhat this year (the game vs the Cows, there was a MASSIVE difference between MB and Granville) but he's still got so much to offer and always contributes 40+ tackles. I hope that come what may these young fellas coming here have to work bloody hard to steal his run on spot.

Ballin should stick to his guns like Toovey and get some sort of payout. They only just re-signed him during the club melting down earlier this season.

If the management goes on acting this way then the dollar will be the only motivator, and that will be expensive.

A contract is a contract is a contract.
EDIT: Seems like my post was not liked. Maybe I should clarify the intent of my post.
If MWSE agrees to a contract extension than that is it. It is a contract extension.
If Joe or the guy who formerly had the fashionable stubble now comes along and says "I had my fingers crossed when I signed it" then anything done on behalf of MWSE is not worth a rat's arse.
Matt Ballin should play until the end of '17 or be paid in full for it.

Last edited:
another manly great getting the wrong end of the pinapple.

I felt there was a bit of anti management inference there but maybe I am reading too much into it.

Really hope he forms a partnership with Api, Parcell or Hodges and plays 4 more years.

I have the utmost respect for Matty. He is in a position where he may be dropped next year. If this was to happen it would send a bad vibe through the Club ..similar to Gifty situation (of course not as bad). I wonder if they can shift him out of the playing roster and on to the staff. He appears to have the great credentials for a assistance role. (that is an assumption what looks good on paper does not always translate to real world). This would make him a very highly paid member of coaching staff.
The alternatives of him on team selection outer may be high price to pay.

@Ryan - here's the proof that Ballin is being forced out by the club. Straight from the horses mouth!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10
7 3 4 17 8