Mega Brookie/4 Pines

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Not that long ago we had a NSW state Premier and a PM in power from Northern Beaches electorates, both said we'd get the support for a new stadium. We had all that power from our area and all we got were some new soap dispensers in the mens toilets under the Jane Try stand, painting the benches and a few new toilet lollies for the mens urinals. I wish it would happen but I am old enough to have heard this same **** for a long time and I am sorry to burst the bubble but it ain't happening. Neither party gives a fxxK about the Northern Beaches. Liberals take us for granted and Labor knows they can't win.

If Dean Ritchie’s post is on the money, expect to see some money allocated in this week’s federal budget.
But if that happens only we'll only get it if the Liberals win and that's as likely as Tigers winning the comp.

Well the noise and atmosphere coming across on the TV last night out of the BFS was awesome. Imagine the same over on the hill. It will be like many English rugby league grounds which I just love their atmosphere.
Atmosphere was great in the Fulton stand, much better feel than over in the Arko previously, which often feels disconected because of it's odd design - really well done by the club, can't wait until eventually one day we can (maybe) get that experience all around!

Atmosphere was great in the Fulton stand, much better feel than over in the Arko previously, which often feels disconected because of it's odd design - really well done by the club, can't wait until eventually one day we can (maybe) get that experience all around!
Obviously the comfort levels were on another level compared to my usual spot on the hill, but more so the noise was amplified- it was fantastic!

I love the hill and the nostalgia of it, but sitting in this sensational stand on Sunday night, whilst those on the hill endured torrential rain, there really is no place for it now.

Interesting that the plan is for all an seater stadium. Soccer clubs over here are pushing for "safe standing" areas or even full ends. This idea originated in Germany, where I believe most bundesliga grounds have these areas. I think a lot of clubs are in discussion with fan groups to see whether there is a desire for it and if they should be incorporated when doing re-designs of their stadia

Today:
F7569302-844A-4F17-8AD8-EB9CF6C4F90F.jpeg

Looks great, then you look at the bunged up and butchered hill in the background, and you remember jeez, Penrith (who already has an amazing stadium) gets a complete upgrade and overhaul, within 10-15 year of their last major one.

You then realise we are like the Scottish nobles in William Wallaces time through history, squabbling over the scraps from longshanks table (piecemeal improvements, like buying new boxes of Lego, and adding on as we go), while Penrith is the ruch becoming richer:

Who is building all these stadiums that need complete re-builds after 10 years or so?

I mean the Colosseum is still standing! Sounds like cash for the construction dodgy bros if you ask me.

No one should get funds for a dumb-ass rebuild until all grounds have a top notch one.

More pork barrels than at a boomer bbq convention.

Who is building all these stadiums that need complete re-builds after 10 years or so?

I mean the Colosseum is still standing! Sounds like cash for the construction dodgy bros if you ask me.

No one should get funds for a dumb-ass rebuild until all grounds have a top notch one.

More pork barrels than at a boomer bbq convention.

Come on mate, common sense and fairness play no part in winning votes to remain in ones job.

Looks great, then you look at the bunged up and butchered hill in the background, and you remember jeez, Penrith (who already has an amazing stadium) gets a complete upgrade and overhaul, within 10-15 year of their last major one.

You then realise we are like the Scottish nobles in William Wallaces time through history, squabbling over the scraps from longshanks table (piecemeal improvements, like buying new boxes of Lego, and adding on as we go), while Penrith is the ruch becoming richer:

Sure the hill looks tired.

WRT Penrith, all we have heard is that they are first cab off the rank for a stadium rebuild, one that’s supposed to kick off at season’s end.

Given the size of the project, slated to cost c.$280m, you might have thought advice was in on an architect, tenders were called etc. The season ends in six months and a state election is less than 12 months away. They had better get cracking.

If history is any guide (look at the recent faffing around at Moore Park) I wouldn’t bet on a Penrith rebuild before the end of 2022, especially with the increasingly difficult and expensive cost of finding suitable builders/contractors, in a competitive market for large scope infrastructure work nationwide. Just this week Rob Stokes said as much in the NSW Parliament.

Meanwhile Brookvale has just had around $33m spent on an upgrade - the old ‘bird in the hand is worth two in the bush’ argument.

Let’s roughly extrapolate the money spent in the last three decades at Brookvale (into 2022 dollars) on the:

Ken Arthurson Stand (KAS), approx. $3.5m in 1995 dollars;
Electronic scoreboard and its newer replacement (overall cost unk.); and
TV standard lighting ($1m in 2005 dollars).

Plus in the 2009-12 timeframe:
Seating upgrades across three stands and the western concourse;
Corporate upgrades to the KAS plus a new passenger lift (the latter installed about 4-5 years ago); and
Extension to the Jane Try Stand with accompanying improvements to corporate, food/beverage and toilet facilities.

That last batch of work cost north of $10m at the time and the overall list isn’t exhaustive (did someone mention WHS-compliant upgrades at key points of the ground?). So if you convert it all, including the most recent work, into 2022 dollars, probably well in excess of $50m has been spent at Brookvale Oval in the 1992-2022 timeframe.

That would almost certainly exceed the sum spent directly on Penrith Park in the same timeframe, which consists mainly of extensions to their 1978 western stand, perhaps some corporate boxes fitted to their 1988 eastern stand; and some relatively minor work at the back of their southern hill, incl. a new scoreboard. Plus the ubiquitous TV lighting somewhere along the way, (presumably) courtesy of joining Superleague.

Last edited:

The main reason places like Penrith, and Parramatta get stadium rebuilds is that the current state liberal government wants to buy votes in swinging seats. Sucks but that's how governments do business by pork barrelling.

Not that they are exactly short of venues, however with word out now confirming both the mens’ and womens’ Rugby World Cup tournaments will be played in Australia, that would be an additional selling point for further upgrades.

In other words, as a venue that can be used for minor internationals as well as a training HQ for a visiting team.

The main reason places like Penrith, and Parramatta get stadium rebuilds is that the current state liberal government wants to buy votes in swinging seats. Sucks but that's how governments do business by pork barrelling.
It’s interesting that Penrith will have their second new stadium. I work in community infrastructure and they are way below other other areas in terms of basics. For example there are only 2 public libraries in the Penrith lga, as against 8 in the northern beaches lga. The west only needs nrl right? The blame is with Ayres, who quite happily finds money for panthers whenever they ask.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8