Menzies career over after Catalan defeat

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SwornEagle

Reserve Grader
Catalan Dragons coach Laurent Frayssinous admitted the disappointment over his side's first-round exit from the Super League play-offs was compounded by the precipitated retirement of Steve Menzies.

Read More

Catalan Dragons coach Laurent Frayssinous admitted the disappointment over his side's first-round exit from the Super League play-offs was compounded by the precipitated retirement of Steve Menzies.

A 14-4 defeat to Hull FC in Friday night's elimination play-off ended the Dragons' season and signalled the end of the road for popular Australian second-rower Menzies, who hung up his boots and trademark headgear after 21 years as a professional.

"It's an emotional dressing room," Frayssinous said."It's disappointing that we say goodbye in that way.

"He has been one of the best overseas players we've had at the Dragons, if not the best, and we wanted to give him at least one more week."

Menzies had a late try disallowed to compound his misery as the Dragons sorely missed the creativity and kicking game of former Newcastle Knights halfback Scott Dureau, who pulled out with a quad muscle injury.

Hull coach Peter Gentle paid tribute to Menzies, who is to return to his NRL club Manly Sea Eagles to take on an ambassadorial role.

"He's held in high regard throughout the world," Gentle said. "I've nothing but admiration for him.

"He showed tonight he can still play at this level. He could play for another couple of years."

Gentle claimed his side put the lessons from their recent Challenge Cup final defeat to good use as they stayed alive in the play-offs.

The Black and Whites failed miserably to cope with a greasy ball at Wembley, where they lost 16-0 to Wigan, but adapted to the wet conditions at the KC Stadium by defending superbly.

Hull fullback Jamie Shaul provided the highlight with an 80m opportunist try, collecting Leon Pryce's towering kick on his own 20m line and sprinting through a fragmented defence for his sixth touchdown in just seven Super League appearances.

21 Seasons - Wow :exclamation:

I still remember him as a white string bean in the Under 23s:)

Hope we see Beaver around Manly ASAP :angel:

GF Waterboy position would suit him just fine :idea:

SwornEagle said:
"It’s an emotional dressing room", Frayssinous said."It’s disappointing that we say goodbye in that way.
"He has been one of the best overseas players we’ve had at the Dragons, if not the best, and we wanted to give him at least one more week..."
...Hull coach Peter Gentle paid tribute to Menzies, who is to return to his NRL club Manly Sea Eagles to take on an ambassadorial role.
"He’s held in high regard throughout the world," Gentle said. "I’ve nothing but admiration for him.
"He showed tonight he can still play at this level. He could play for another couple of years."
What an amazing career, congratulations Beaver.

I can't believe it is 5 years since that fairytale grand final finish with Manly. It's great that he'll be back involved with our club.

*reflecting* - The word champion gets bandied around a lot these days.....this guy, is one of the very few, who actually fits the bill.

I can't believe I'm 33 and my childhood sports idol is just finishing his career.

Will be great to have him back at the Sea Eagles!

The Great Beaver Played his last game

I just sat and watched with a sense a pride as the great Beaver Menzies played his last game of football. And as if chanelling his 2008 performance in our 08 GF went within a wisker of scoring in the dying minutes. I thought he scored but the bastard video ref denied him claiming he didn't have control of the ball as he pushed 4 players out of the way to go over!

What a legand of a man and player! Has to go down in histroy as one of the greatest players to come out of Brooky to ever lace a boot on! What a peformance almost 40 years old and right to the bitter end his powers as a player were seen at there very best! Catalan were pretty ordinary all but for one player looking for hip passes and tackling blokes right to the final wistle!

I and every Manly fan salute you Steve Beaver Menzies! A legand!

:D

What a champion......still think he could have played a few more years at NRL level BUT when Manly didn't want him he didn't even think of going to another club, I can't tell you how much respect I have for this guy.

I hope he features heavily in the structure of the club for years to come, just his presence on the dressing sheds would be enough.

Maybe the Eels will make another play at him now. The funny thing is, he'd probably turn them into a genuine contender. :)

One Beaver Menzies, there's only one Beaver Menzies. Coongratuations on a wonderful career and providing Manly fans with great memories. The combo with Cliffy that brought you try after try, the bone rattling defence that shook up idiots like Crocker and the coup de grace scoring a try in your last game in the 08 grand final that always sends a shiver up my spine and a tear to my eye. Now you will tell the kids at Manly what it means to play for the club and our club will be even stronger.

this is from today's tele,

OLD BEAVER BOWS OUT A TRUE HERO

WHAT a legend. Steve Menzies has finally hung up the footy boots at the age of 39. Beaver, who played 349 games for the Eagles, bowed out of the game when his Super League club, the Catalan Dragons, lost to Hull FC in the first round of the play-offs — ending a remarkable 21 years as a professional footballer.

Hull coach Peter Gentle said what we all think of Menzies, who will return to the Manly Sea Eagles to take on an ambassadorial role.

“He’s held in high regard throughout the world," Gentle said.

“He can still play at this level. He could play for another couple of years."

Well played, champion.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/whats-the-buzz-angry-clubs-turn-against-nrl-boss/story-fni3fbgz-1226719119105

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4