Merged Thread: Noel 'Crusher' Cleal, follows Des Hasler to the Bulldogs

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
RE: Noel Cleal to the Bulldogs

bones said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:
bones said:
kingoftherodeo said:
I'd love to see what our fellow forum posters would do if they were offered a motza. Oh yeah, that's right no one would take it.

There is one huge difference. Supporters pay money to support. Cleal was paid money. I have spent thousands of dollars supporting Manly in 2011 alone because I love the club. Cleal was at manly not for the love of the club but because he was getting paid. Big difference. If the bulldogs offered me $250k to be a supporter of their club and I had to attend every bulldogs game in 2012 I would not take it. I would still want Manly to win and I couldn't miss going to watch Manly play. As paying supporters we are entitled to, and have earned the right to be filthy.

I agree with a lot of your ideas but not this. You are saying anyone who ever comes to work for Manly, in a paid career/employment type capacity, can never leave until the club sacks them. If they do they will be despised and abused as traitors or similar...
Is that really what you mean?

Not at all. The question was raised 'what would we do if we supporters do if we were offered a motza?' , and I was simply trying to point out that it is different for supporters because we are not employees. Supporters pay.. Employees are paid. Dessie, crusher and any player are free to go to which ever club they choose. That's their right. However it is also the right of a supporter to be filthy about it if they want.

Filthy meaning furious. I'm disappointed, but not angry with them.
For starters, Des & Crusher have put so much of themsleves into Manly the decision to leave would not have been made lightly, as someone else pointed out.

Those who are filthy with Des & Crusher would be just as filthy if they stayed put in their jobs but did not produce the same outstanding results every year. In this case we just weren't ready to spit them out yet.

If your point is that it is a fans prerogative to be angry with this and angry with that, you are probably 100% right. However I actually get a lot of enjoyment out of being a Manly fan, and I can't recall ever feeling angry with a player or coach. (Spose it might just be my memory playing tricks)

Who's next? Maybe if Penn sells his shares to URM he could be on the way to the dogs aswell.

I can't help but think this deal with both Des and Crusher were done ages ago as some have suggested. I also think that when Des took up the option for an extra year it was calculated move as he knew if sacked players with "the clause" will follow him. I also think when Penn offered him more dollars he'd already signed with the dogs.

Pretty poor form overall and if Des and co loved the club so much why do this?

I hope Tooves turns out to be as good a coach, but he'll be doing it without the support that Des had re. crusher and some coaching staff.

BTW Who won the GF, that's right we did, but once again celebrations have been overlooked with the departure of many.

Just heard that Bailey is now tipped to be signed by the dogs. :)

bones said:
MK Eagle said:
A poor decision Cleal will regret. Hope the cancer stops with him because if Des can influence Cleals decision it makes good sense others will be in 2 minds also.
The part about chasing business opportunity does not wash well for me as the wind blows both ways & these guys have been handed a pretty good footy team to look after & wages that most would be content with. If you change jobs & Westpac offers more wages then Commonwealth its fair game to do the best for family & personal growth but in footy its different - its tribal & unites people far & wide. It involves mateship & the bonding of all those loyal supporters who have backed these guys in the sunshine & the rain. There is still some honour & loyalty in this world & this is why Beaver knocked back twice the carrot to stay at Manly & I have little doubt Toovey would never coach against the Seaeagles in the future.
Des & Noel will be remembered as people who done their jobs professionally & got results but for mine - the stigma of Manly legends was gone the moment the ink left the pen.

Well said mate.

X2

If Tim Bailey joins the dogs, I'll be shattered. Jogging around
Longreef headland at 5:55 won't be the same without his channel 10 truck there.

Where is the 'challenge' for Des if he is just relocating those he can to Bellmore ? :huh:

Let's clear out the rest of the infidels and get the new mob in.

My other stipulation as a Supportah, is that Manly Club will not have me donating to any Staff Member's charities/personal problems in the future as they have clearly shown their lack of respect for the Manly Fans. A simple message on the MWSE site from Des and Crusher would have been the courteous thing to do.:dodgy:

In today's paper that Crusher is starting at the Dogs in a few weeks time.
Really can't see how it's goin to work with Des next year.
I don't give a **** how professional he is there's no way he can give 100% to manly.
Hel be coaching us and recruiting for the Dogs for the following year. Just a recipe for disaster IMO.

the mauler said:
I don't give a s**t how professional he is there's no way he can give 100% to manly.
Hel be coaching us and recruiting for the Dogs for the following year. Just a recipe for disaster IMO.

you're spot on. Will be possible for Des not to learn who Manly want to recruit and retain for 2013 and how much Manly will be prepared to offer them.

I cannot comprehend how a successful club on the field is now being ripped apart so easily.
Des and Crusher will have more loyalty to Manly then our current crop of players. They have played for many, worked and lived in the area alot longer. If they can leave so easily to another club so poorly reputable as the dogs. What makes you think the young talented players we have wont have a reason to leave for as little as 10k more.

I have been a Manly fan since '96 and when we came out out of the hole we had dug in the NE period and early 00's. I couldn't fathom that we would be poised to return so quickly.

I enjoyed the '11 premiership for 2 days before it was taken away by the news of Des and the impending fallout that would follow. I feel it will be another decade before we win a premiership again.
1987, 1996, 2008, 2011, 202?

My best wishes go out to Tooves as he surely has the odds stacked against him. The club will be in a terrible position for a rookie coach to take over. I hope that no one especially board members blames Tooves if the success on field does not continue.

Noel Cleal to the Bulldogs

the mauler said:
I don't give a s**t how professional he is there's no way he can give 100% to manly.

Maybe the solution is to keep him on full pay and let him count paper clips for 12 months while Toovey coaches.

This is a bad situation but worse is to give the Dogs an even break.

ERNIE FOR NO7 said:
the mauler said:

you're spot on. Will be possible for Des not to learn who Manly want to recruit and retain for 2013 and how much Manly will be prepared to offer them.

In honesty guys i expect Des to be released sometime this month. I just can't see how Manly or the Board can be confident of keeping Des for a year with staff out the door and Des and Crusher close, you know they will work for the Dogs in future what is the point of holding him for a year?

He won the title, you would be better of saying thanks, cutting your loses now and throwing Toovs in, mightin win you the title in his first year but he will bond closer with the players and stop the bleeding in my opinion rather then letting them have a average year and some of them feeling like they want to follow Des. I'm sure he will have a few players who want to but i think its much better for Manly overall now then later.

thedogs88 said:
ERNIE FOR NO7 said:
the mauler said:

In honesty guys i expect Des to be released sometime this month. I just can't see how Manly or the Board can be confident of keeping Des for a year with staff out the door and Des and Crusher close, you know they will work for the Dogs in future what is the point of holding him for a year?

He won the title, you would be better of saying thanks, cutting your loses now and throwing Toovs in, mightin win you the title in his first year but he will bond closer with the players and stop the bleeding in my opinion rather then letting them have a average year and some of them feeling like they want to follow Des. I'm sure he will have a few players who want to but i think its much better for Manly overall now then later.
If we release him we have to pay out his contract and the players will be pissed off.

I suggest any ground swell of anger, should be aimed at the people responsible and not the people leaving. I would have thought the movement against the board would have had more affect given it is obvious this is the issue. However as usual there was a whole lot of talk and no action. Strike whilst the iron is hot or sit back and reap what you sow.

Too many talkers and not enough action men, really is the problem with our fan movement.

#OccupytheFC or get used to this sort of crap

Why didnt Cleal just announce this when Des did as it was obvious he had already made that decision at the same time. Why say im going on holidays i will decide when i get back. Its like they are drip feeding the announcements to cause maximum damage at Manly. Who ever is going players included will they just announce it and feck off. Doesnt say much about these blokes in the way they have handled this i expected more from them to be honest. Really scummy way to treat our club regardless of the board.

Daniel said:
I suggest any ground swell of anger, should be aimed at the people responsible and not the people leaving. I would have thought the movement against the board would have had more affect given it is obvious this is the issue. However as usual there was a whole lot of talk and no action. Strike whilst the iron is hot or sit back and reap what you sow.
Too many talkers and not enough action men, really is the problem with our fan movement.

#OccupytheFC or get used to this sort of crap

Mate its very hard when they have a 3 year timeframe on being able to vote. I have been a paid member of footy club for 2.25 years and only after i realised my 5 years of supporter membership wasnt worth a wank. Feelin pretty powerless to be honest as im sure most fans would.

Ceagle said:
thedogs88 said:
ERNIE FOR NO7 said:
the mauler said:

If we release him we have to pay out his contract and the players will be pissed off.

Todd Greenburg has already come out and said if Des does become available for 12 he will do what he has too to accomodate Des. I personally don't think if its 12 or 13 that it will change the players opinion if they are dirty now they will be more so after another year.

You don't honestly believe that do you?

Best solution is for Des & Manly to come a mutual agreement assp
If Des wants to go now release him from his final year

Berkeley_Eagle said:
Best solution is for Des & Manly to come a mutual agreement assp
If Des wants to go now release him from his final year

This is what i see happening sometime this month, i mean seriously if they cut it loose now, Toovs at coach the players will bond with him as Manly wil have the back against the walls and will feel they owe it to the club and fans to dig deep.

I think it would stop more players following Des.

On the other side of the coin, say you keep Des he has one eye on Manlys season, 1 eye on dogs setup and then what? He also has a year to think who would fit and he is in a perfect spot to talk to them about 2013... I don't like that sort of stuff being done consider it shady as. However its true look at Wayne with Boyd, Cuthbertson, Green? etc.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 3 5 -55 8