Middletons Team of the Decade

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
From his Rugby League Annual

1. Billy Slater (Melbourne 2003-09)
2. Brent Tate (Brisbane 2001-07, Warriors 2008-09)
3. Greg Inglis (Melbourne 2005-09)
4. Mark Gasnier (St. George Illawarra 2000-08)
5. Hazem El Masri (Bulldogs 2000-09)
6. Darren Lockyer (Brisbane 2000-09)
7. Andrew Johns (Newcastle 2000-07)
8. Petero Civoniceiva (Brisbane 2000-07, Penrith 2008-09)
9. Cameron Smith (Melbourne 2002-09)
10. Shane Webcke (Brisbane 2000-06)
11. Steve Menzies (Northern Eagles 2000-02, Manly 2003-08)
12. Nathan Hindmarsh (Parramatta 2000-09)
13. Brad Fittler (Sydney 2000-04)

Gee Brent Tate is a big call. And did Fittler really do enough in his last 4 seasons to justify a spot?

How the hell can BEN KENNEDY miss out?

Other than that, pretty right I reckon.

Steve Price unlucky to have Petero and Webcke in front of him.

Druggies will argue til their blue with Buderus missing out, I rate Smith better.

Tate probably the luckiest but who else is there? Folau? Tuqiri and Sailor had a couple years, Ryan Girdler had some good years, I was a massive fan of Matt Sing also.

I reckon most NRL sides would fancy their chances against that side.  Some selections are made on headlines, not merit - El Masri, Fittler, Gasnier.  And the merits of Johns are nebulous.  What did he do after 2001 except break the hearts of Newcastle supporters every April with a season ending injury?

Drug tests would have seen Johns hunted from the game before the decade began.  St George kicked on after Gasnier left, El Masri let in more points than he scored, Tate is ordinary, Lyon played all over Inglis in the 08 GF,  The rest of them are shmucks.  Even with Orford, our 08 team would have belted this bunch of pussies.

El Masri let in more points than he scored,

You are kidding right? I would say he was one of the better defensive wingers out there

Lyon played all over Inglis in the 08 GF

I love Jaime by Inglis is in another world

El masri was crap.  Slow and no vertical leap.  Most of his tries were fall over from 5m jobs, set up by the bruising forward pack inside of him and he always had a tall centre stationed inside him to jump for the high ball and el masri would crumb off that.

I'd stick by my assessment of El Masri.  The Dogs had a habit of carrying goal kickers no matter how poor their defenses were.  And I consider Lyon ahead of Inglis.  Inglis's OK when surrounded by excellent players, but fades when pressure is applied and everything is created for him, he doesn't create.  .

Have seen El Masri save plenty of tries over the year by making the right decision to come in and cut off a movement. Not a top liner by any means, but not anywhere near as bad as some make out either. I may have had Sing or Blacklock ahead in this side, but all are worthy imo

I understand how they want to have Fittler in the side somewhere, but a team of the decade should be picked on what they did and where they played, and Freddie played 4 games at lock in the 00s apparently

Not a Tate fan at all, but I am picking his rep efforts would have him in this side

Freddy was great in his time but hardly ahead of Kennedy over the whole decade. Tate should not be there, especially on the wing and El Masri would have hardly been a first grader had he not been an excellent kicker. Apart from those three the side has great merit.

Tate has played enough wing to know his way around the position, don't worry about that. However he must be the most injury prone player in the NRL over the last 4 years. It speaks volumes about the quality of wingers these days if Tate and El Masri make a team of the decade. El Masri is at best a solid first grader, he just happens to have an exceptional goal kicking boot. Also the fact that he is a devout Muslim affords him more publicity and praise than his actual ability entitles him to. The only thing in his favour is that he has been consistent over that 10 year period, you can't argue that.

What lock are you going to pick over Fittler ?? Kennedy has claims probably, but not many others. Ricketson, Johnson, Carroll, Flannery, Hill, O'Donnell, Gallen.....not likely to pick any of them over Fittler.

Anyone who played for Australia in that position in the 10 years can feel dissappointed at getting pipped by a 4 gamer

I wouldn't have that fat plodder Hindmarsh in the side.  Even the dumb arses on the NSW selection panel woke up to that one years ago.  Kennedy is twice the player of Hindmarsh.  As much as it surprises me to say it, blue arsed would have to feel stiffed at missing out on a spot in that back row,  The only decent player is Menzies.

Mata be serious. Would you not have had Dallas Johnson in the QLD side all these years. I'd rate Hindmarsh and Johnson on par. Anyone who can make over 50 tackles in a SOO game is worth their weight in gold IMO.

clontaago link said:
Mata be serious. Would you not have had Dallas Johnson in the QLD side all these years. I'd rate Hindmarsh and Johnson on par. Anyone who can make over 50 tackles in a SOO game is worth their weight in gold IMO.

I agree but what with the price of gold and the size of hindmarsh's arse that is a bloody expensive idea. 

I would play both, They add balance. If you have hard running attacking style backrowers then a bloke that makes 50 tackles allows them to use their energy where it is needed.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8