Money-spinning move as Manly plays 'home' game at Suncorp Stadium in 2011

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Not that anyone will care much but I love the games at Bluetongue 'cause my mum, who used to sit on the hill at Brookie with my dad through all three games for years before he died, now lives up there and we get to go see our beloved Eagles tohether a couple of times a year.

vidmar link said:
[quote author=Duff link=topic=184324.msg279234#msg279234 date=1280239443]
Vid, regardless of the ladder, we know what a big game is & what a dud game is crowd wise.
Tigers is a big game, as is any Sydney team really.
If we go up to losers paradise, it's for the money, so give them something we know we're not going to make money on. Easy to pick, even before the season. Tits & Cowbs, maybe ther Riff or the Raiders.

What are they goingto do next year? Throw away the Parra game? Maybe Melbourne or Saints?

You take home games away for cash purposes, that means they should be devoid of emotional connection. Manly v Wests is one of the most emotional games of the year. Even if Wests are a bunch of merger sellouts.

My point was that at the moment we don't know who we will be playing at home as we don't play each team twice?

How can we plan to take a Cowboys, Titans or Penrith home game to an alternate venue if we don't know if we will have a home tie against them and if we do when?

If it's going to be planned for a double header then the problem is componded as other teams fixtures haven't been released so there is nothing to work with at the moment?

I'm guessing nothing will be finalised until the draws are closer to being finalised?

Shane - Re Bluetongue nobody has said that there would be no game there? Again, My guess is that there can't/won't be a definite decision until the NRL are closer to finalising the 2011 season draw
[/quote]

That's easy. All the club has to do is rate teams as a priority to play at Brookie. Parra, Saints, Tigers & Melbourne would probably be the top of the list. Doggies & Souths would probably be near the top too. All you do when the draw comes out is pick the two lowest priority teams that we actually have home games against & move those fixtures to the highest bidder.

Yes Duff, and the simple fact is that, Cowboys, Brisbane and Titans don't add much value as far as extra ticket sales, so if moving one game for money a Titans game to Suncorp, or a Bronco's game to Skilled Park (or even Suncorp) makes great financial sense.

As I said above I was at the double header in Brisbane in June, a great night, over 50,000 people attended and a huge windfall for the two "home" clubs which were Bronco's and Bulldogs.

Mark from Brisbane link said:
Yes Dudd, !!!

Was that intentional?! I know he has a few left of centre views but probably a bit harsh mate. ;)

and Mark, I would disagree about Brisbane - we have generally had good crowds at Brookie for those matches.

Bradza link said:
[quote author=Mark from Brisbane link=topic=184324.msg279305#msg279305 date=1280287578]
Yes Dudd, !!!

Was that intentional?! I know he has a few left of centre views but probably a bit harsh mate. ;)

and Mark, I would disagree about Brisbane - we have generally had good crowds at Brookie for those matches.
[/quote]it was just a typo budza  like that 1 ;D

Now changed, sorry Duff you are NOT a Dudd my friend!!

Was just munching down a sandwich and typing one handed...so OOPS

DSM5 link said:
We could play the Sharks at Taupo.  I hear they are offering 200K per game.

From a selfish point of view that would be ideal for me as I generally stay at a mates place just south of Taupo and combine a spot of fishing there before heading to Auckland for the game when we play the Warriors over there!!

ERNIE FOR NO7 link said:
[quote author=ayjay007 link=topic=184324.msg278994#msg278994 date=1280187699]
From a post I put on another thread here....

Just an aside to my original post.While Cent Cst Leagues probably loved the game,I wonder how Manly Leagues went for a crowd turning up for post match drinks.What about the caterers at Brookie,the Brookie Maccas,the Brookie Hotel,the bus drivers that didn't get additional shifts,Manly Travelodge,and the other businesses that got nobody at their establishments?It would be interesting to see how much revenue was lost to the Brookie area!Maybe then these figures could be shoved under the recalcitrant councillors noses as proof of what Manly does for the local economy.

Spot on plus the loss of council revenue from less game day rental,and Graham Lowe hasn't costed this and tabled this as a report to the council - then we need a new CEO
[/quote]

Come on... lets stop with the pot shots at Lowe already.

There are plenty of reasons Lowe would be very very wise not to rush into putting such figures to council.

1. They would be impossible to get correct. So much would have to an estimate, either we go high and then the council would discredit the information and release it to the press saying it was rubbish and we were trying to lie to council, or we go low and the council says 'oh thats not so bad after all.'

2. This would invite the council to release figures (Which are obtainable) about the cost of holding a game at brookvale, including the cost of extra police, the street sweepers, stadium cleaning and maintenance etc. They would then use this as justification that we should be paying more.

3. The council would then use the figures we provided to justify other alternate uses of the ground such as boot sales and markets instead of NRL matches, showing that they would bring in significantly more... A smart person would note that the two are not exclusive but some of the councilors are not so inclined.

I am not saying don't put the figures forward, but seriously if you think Lowe would be remiss in not rushing forwards to do so you are mistaken, plenty of political reasons to wait. Further more have you thought of the cost of obtaining such info. Having to survey the local businesses, the school who profit from parking, the pub, the leagues club, the taxi companies, etc. Most of whom would not release the info.

Then there is the issue of not rocking to boat, perhaps now is the time to remain quite, especially with the potential change in two out of three levels of government coming up....

Mark from Brisbane link said:
Now changed, sorry Duff you are NOT a Dudd my friend!!

Was just munching down a sandwich and typing one handed...so OOPS

I missed it, you'd changed it before I got here.

Put it back the other way, I'm easy to rile up. I'd be going off like a nutter. Yet still confused at the combo of agreement with abuse. It's just abstract enough to work with.

And for the record, I'd have no probs taking Qld games up there as we have a good supporter base. I still wouldn't mind catching the Broncs at Brookie every now & then. It's usually a pretty good game, usually.

Except for this year in the rain, and the only time I made it (so far) for a game in NSW...oh and happy to call you Dudd any time you like (if you prefer)...Duff, Dudd, Rudd...all the same to me

OK we got 20K at Blue Tongue. Would we have got any less at brookie. The crowd was 50/50 there - as many tigers supporters as us.

Does Brookvale put traveling supporters off? I love going to grounds like Leichhardt oval which is very similar to Brooky.

Makes me wonder if I'm an island.

Just change their name to the Sydney Sea Eagles and be done with it.  I'm sick of Northern Beaches parochialism holding the club back.

Sydney - now there is the parochialism - Should be the New Zealand, Qld, PNG, Central Coast sea eagles. 

:)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8