Mundine.....again.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The AFL boys stood solid.
Andrew Fatita is the only one I think that would succome to Mundines wishes.

14441214_1117277818325677_8876765166142399028_n.jpg

A total non event, much like the instigator of the idea!!
It's funny watching all this really.

To me Mundine is just another Joe, no more or less important than anyone else out there. To those who hate him, he gains tremendous power in their lives. His hate incites hate in those who hate him. It's a contagion. They become Mundine-like.

The media LOVES Mundine because of the irrational fears he incites in some. The media dotes on every controversial thought he says. These people don't see that it is their fixation on hating Mundine that effectively gives him disproportionate voice, and through that, disproportionate power.

It's like the hyperventillation about terrorism. If people didn't react with over-the-top fear, what value in even performing acts of terrorism? No extreme fear reaction means no media coverage, no media coverage means little or no benefit in terrorism. Ironically, it is the extreme fear reaction that is directly feeding terrorism, giving it power, and making it grow.

Mundine is a show pony. He thrives on controversy. He did it when he played League claiming he was the best. He did it in his boxing career claiming he was the best. He did it putting opponents down to increase the gate hoping to see him lose. He's a poor man's Ali, without the finesse. He does it to gain the publicity, draw attention to himself. And the more bizarre his comments, the more he likes it because he knows the reaction it will cause. If he's mouthing off at the moment, he must be wanting another boxing match to increase his kitty.

Mundine is a show pony. He thrives on controversy. He did it when he played League claiming he was the best. He did it in his boxing career claiming he was the best. He did it putting opponents down to increase the gate hoping to see him lose. He's a poor man's Ali, without the finesse. He does it to gain the publicity, draw attention to himself. And the more bizarre his comments, the more he likes it because he knows the reaction it will cause. If he's mouthing off at the moment, he must be wanting another boxing match to increase his kitty.

He has an upcoming rematch with Danny Green.

The AFL boys stood solid.
Andrew Fatita is the only one I think that would succome to Mundines wishes.
lol. That's quite a stretch.

There was no "standing solid". There was, however, the usual succumbing to social pressures to conform. Like every single time the national anthem is played, there was herd following. Standing for the national anthem, like religions, are time-worn methods for social control.

People, generally, are herd followers. They conform. Watch animals under threat. They flock. Just like people do. Stand alone, for whatever reason, and you are the target. The vast majority of people don't have the courage to be a target. Ask Galileo what happens when you stand alone, however valid the reasons.

Personally Mundine disappoints me because I think he is in a unique position to unify the country. He is supremely talented, anyone who can compete at the highest level in boxing and rugby league is a very good athlete, is he great? not in my opinion.

As an indigenous sportsman he could really be a positive force in Australian sport, and I don't think he he has been. Now I'm not saying he should be a mouth piece for mainstream Australia, in fact if he sacrificed something and made a stand I would be impressed. Let's say his fight against Green he was going to collect 10m and he gave it up to make a stand I would go 'wow, that's pretty amazing' but instead he has used race relations as a wedge to purely self promote.

I read Mundine as deeply insecure. The insecure frequently boast and put others down. Their apparent confidence is all show, no substance - a protective veneer.

Being ridiculed when young (victims of social prejudice, autocratic parents, or whatever) may effectively ingrain these insecurities for life. Not their fault.

Mundine and Trump may seem to many as being at the opposite ends of the political spectrum, but IMO they are almost identical in this respect. Clones almost.

i am once again in awe of you ability to get inside the minds of people you don't know, in this case the 35 or so players in the AFL grand final, and deduce what they are thinking, what their motives are, and what they believe in. You are truly enlightened.
lol. Didn't say anything about what they were thinking Terry. Just about what they were doing.

If you can't see patterns, then you can't see patterns.

If you think cattle flock by pure chance, then you think cattle flock by pure chance.

Just so I am clear is the common feeling that there is no actual issue with indigenous people in Australia or is it more the person who it is coming from?

For me once you look past the source or the suggested call to action and look into the statistics of the situation it is pretty much definitive there is an issue with how indigenous people live and, by that reasoning, how they might be treated.

As for Mundine it is clear as day he has an agenda over this however what I always find ironic is the sugges that free speech (which I thought was only an implied right in Australia) is only for people who you agree with. For me, much like most of what has been posted so far in this thread, it means I can respectfully agree to disagree rather than descend into sill name calling.....but I guess that is how us "lefties" are...

I read Mundine as deeply insecure. The insecure frequently boast and put others down. Their apparent confidence is all show, no substance - a protective veneer.

Being ridiculed when young (victims of social prejudice, autocratic parents, or whatever) may effectively ingrain these insecurities for life. Not their fault.

Mundine and Trump may seem to many as being at the opposite ends of the political spectrum, but IMO they are almost identical in this respect. Clones almost.

I doubt that Anthony had security issues Rex. He is the son of a formerly very popular boxer, Tony Mundine, who was a very personable and well regarded individual. The Mundines were and I suspect still are a very influential Indigenous family in the Redfern/Waterloo/Newtown area, probably thanks to Anthony's father's positive role in their community, and Anthony would have been a leader from a young age. Anthony also was at one stage quite wealthy with his Boxa sports gear, numerous properties and monies from some other areas such as in music.

Anthony has lost much of his money, not through any personal abuses, but rather because he is far too generous to his friends and relatives. Its estimated he has spent over ten million dollars helping out friends not so well off as himself. He's now struggling a little because of this which explains his desire for another fight against Green.

I've always sensed that Anthony likes to play the bad guy/rebel in the Mohamed Ali style, which I suspect he recognises enhances his reputation and ensures people are interested in seeing him fight. I also think he sees himself as an indigenous leader-representative and this along with his Islamic faith gives him cause to take a stand on issues relevant to those in his World.

Quite an enigma is our Anthony Mundine.

I doubt that Anthony had security issues Rex. He is the son of a formerly very popular boxer, Tony Mundine, who was a very personable and well regarded individual. The Mundines were and I suspect still are a very influential Indigenous family in the Redfern/Waterloo/Newtown area, probably thanks to Anthony's father's positive role in their community, and Anthony would have been a leader from a young age. Anthony also was at one stage quite wealthy with his Boxa sports gear, numerous properties and monies from some other areas such as in music.

Anthony has lost much of his money, not through any personal abuses, but rather because he is far too generous to his friends and relatives. Its estimated he has spent over ten million dollars helping out friends not so well off as himself. He's now struggling a little because of this which explains his desire for another fight against Green.

I've always sensed that Anthony likes to play the bad guy/rebel in the Mohamed Ali style, which I suspect he recognises enhances his reputation and ensures people are interested in seeing him fight. I also think he sees himself as an indigenous leader-representative and this along with his Islamic faith gives him cause to take a stand on issues relevant to those in his World.

Quite an enigma is our Anthony Mundine.
Agree his dad, Tony is personable and highly respected. An impressive bloke. And yep, I could be wrong with Anthony, we only see what we are shown. And being controversial can be financially lucrative, especially in the fight game.

What is more interesting to me in all this is how easily people let him push their trigger buttons.

Thank you for your service Rex, Woodsie and TR, on the freedom (isn't free) of speech front.

Freedom (in fact) costs a buck o'five.

Mundine is not politically correct, he's unsophisticated and he's unpopular. That makes him easy to ridicule - but deriding Mundine is also a very convenient way of avoiding the conversation on racism in Australia.

• 🤝
Reactions: Rex

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9