News: Blindside: Lowe's Successor Awaits

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Was Ponissi at the Storm when they were cooking the books? If so I hope he knew nothing about what was going on.

Why do people keep mentioning names of non-ex-lower-grade Manly players? We have that hint to work with. Take it Ironstines.

Maybe we have 'locked up' Gary Winter

Col Bentley maybe??
Safe defensive centre originally from Cudgen. Chosen in the starting line up for the 1991 Grand Final, Bentley was replaced by Brad Izzard prior to half time. Released by the Panthers at the end of 1992, he was promptly signed by Manly. Bentley returned to Penrith in 1995 after captaining Manly's reserve grade side for two seasons. Bentley served on the NRL Judiciary in 1998-99 and was later elected on the Panthers Leagues Club Board. 

Geoff Toovey would make a Great CEO. Didn't he have something to do with the NRMA a few years back? He was well respected from memory

Nice detective work Bones re Bentley.
Of course for the silvertail club someone named Rolls would be preferable.

Seaeagle63 said:
Geoff Toovey would make a Great CEO. Didn't he have something to do with the NRMA a few years back? He was well respected from memory

He's a qualified accountant who was a boardmember for the NRMA.
Not qualified at all for CEO.
It's a much bigger job than that.

Duff said:
Seaeagle63 said:

Not qualified at all for CEO.
It's a much bigger job than that.

The CEO doesn't do all the book work. These days the CEO is just the leader of a team. They have finance nerds, commercial managers, football managers. He really is just a coordinator. Of course its good if they know how to read a balance sheet, but whats more important is someone who knows how to lead and to surround himself with good people. They don't necessarily need business contacts but they need to be able to present themselves and the club well to get their foot in the door and to represent us.

I hope the club looks for someone with business acumen, not an ex lower grade footballer. We have already made that mistake.

Duff said:
Seaeagle63 said:

Accountants are bean counters and historians. They are not managers.

Masked Eagle said:
These days the CEO is just the leader of a team. He really is just a coordinator. They don't necessarily need business contacts

Disagree on that ME. In the sporting world a CEO needs to have those contacts in the commercial arena for sponsorship. Manly need that more than most at the moment.

Jatz Crackers said:
Masked Eagle said:
These days the CEO is just the leader of a team. He really is just a coordinator. They don't necessarily need business contacts

Disagree on that ME. In the sporting world a CEO needs to have those contacts in the commercial arena for sponsorship. Manly need that more than most at the moment.

Sure contacts can help but not every single sponsorship deal is worked out because there are mates involved. Its more important you are able to communicate with businesses and be able to sell the club, in this day and age no one is going to tip in close to a $1m per season because they are mates.

Look at what Todd Greenberg has done with the Bulldogs. Now I don't think he is as good as what some people believe, but he took over the Bulldogs when their brand couldn't have been held in any worse regard. He started to do things differently, gave away the naming rights sponsorship to Canteen and 12 months later he has changed the brand of the bulldogs in the corporate world to an extent where they have built up an impressive list of sponsors.

His career resume doesn't speak of someone who came from the business world either. Its a myth to think that someone with business acumen is an automatic better CEO than someone who doesn't, just like thinking someone with a degree is smarter that someone who doesn't have one.

As I said it can help if someone has connections but I'd prefer someone with smarts, because if your relying on their contacts to get you the money you're probably already pigeonholed in an area and your scope for growth is very minor.

Matabele said:
Duff said:
Seaeagle63 said:

Accountants are bean counters.

So then why did you edit the bit out of my post that says that?
They aren't managers.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8