News: Blindside: Lowe's Successor Awaits

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Phantar said:
Although David Perry appears to have had no previous connection to the Club as a player, as the article suggests, unlike Teevan and Ponissi.

Do you know that he didn't play second of third grade for us in the past? Or Presdeints cup could be classified as lower grade? Flegg, Ball, matthews as well?

Looked him up on the St Geo-Illa site. Went to Marist school at North Sydney (danger danger -didn't Mayer go to school there?) and apparently played grade cricket. Nothing about a footballing career. But he may have just left that out of the resume because some Dragons supporters still think they wuz robbed in the 1996 GF!

ManlyBacker said:
Masked Eagle said:
People are making a lot of assumptions about Toovs ability to do the CEO job if offered. I'm guessing none of you have dealt with him in a business sense, I can understand people thinking he mightn't be but your opinions are hardly based on any actual evidence.

I have met him numerous times and there is no doubt he is a great guy and loves the club. He was wanted by the Board after Grant left and turned it down. He may have changed in the last year but deep down I am guessing he doesn't see himself in that role because he likes who he is and the life he leads without the massive pressure and having to change the way he is to fulfill the role. If he does get it he will have my support like Lowe and we see whether he can deliver. I don't believe he is the front candidate.

I don't believe he will do it either. I just think people are making some claims about his credientials without knowing. I'm not saying I know, I don't. That's my point. I've also had the pleasure of meeting toovs on a few occasions but my conversation was more along the lines of a gushing fan as opposed to a job interview.

My opinion is that he wants to be our next coach. I'm fairly certain that the job will be his when Des decides he doesn't want to do it anymore.

Phantar said:
Looked him up on the St Geo-Illa site. Went to Marist school at North Sydney (danger danger -didn't Mayer go to school there?) and apparently played grade cricket. Nothing about a footballing career. But he may have just left that out of the resume because some Dragons supporters still think they wuz robbed in the 1996 GF!

i think the forans went to marist, so don/t hold that against him.

Daniel, I never bagged Meyer on this forum, it's just that I didn't quite see the rosy halo as others did. Lowe did a good job and that should be acknowledged for it. Whoever comes along will get a settled board, a good playing roster, a good position on the ladder of success and a growing membership number. All good. If he/she acquires another major sponsor, outside our owners businesses, then all the better.

I went to Marist College too so don't hold that against anyone. Dave Perry was a year behind me but was the same age. We played a fair bit of junior cricket together. He played grade cricket for Norths (not 1sts)and was a decent footballer but I have no knowledge of him playing lower grade footy for Manly. He may have played quite young junior reps for Norths and even Manly. He at least played for Brothers in the Norths and (later) Manly junior leagues.

His family were Bears supporters but I don't remember him being as vocal about it as some of the others. He was no genius but he was a personable bloke. I haven't seen him for about 10 years so it sounds like he has kicked on pretty well. He must have been kicking some goals with the Dragons over the last 4 years and I would think that the 8 years at J Boag was probably in sales. The paper wouldn't have had his name in the story on Sunday if he wasn't the bloke being targeted.

An interesting parallel is that Mick Watson, the former Warriors CEO played cricket with Dave for a number of years at Brothers.

no cross him off the list his family background disgusts me

Bears supporters they are lower than boat people imo ;)

Having said that im pretty sure grant mayer told a few of us he was a bears supporter growing up

I have a cunning plan.......let's offer the Manly CEO role to David Gallup.

When he inevitably accepts (It would be irresistible) and resigns his current role we sack him and split the cost between the 16 clubs.

It's fool proof isn't it?

Cambo said:
Bears supporters they are lower than boat people imo ;)

Cambo you would obviously support Pauline Hanson's proposal to publicly execute all boat people who are north sydney supporters?
:D

Pity Rose doesn't have an I'm full approach to life.

Maybe Cambo would prefer to send all norths supporting boat people to Zimbabwe instead?

tookey said:

Maybe Cambo would prefer to send all norths supporting boat people to Zimbabwe instead?
They'd have fun sailing up hundreds of kilometres of the Zambezi River and past Caborra Bassa Dam. Would remind them of North's futile search for Premiership glory.

Matabele said:
tookey said:

They'd have fun sailing up hundreds of kilometres of the Zambezi River and past Caborra Bassa Dam. Would remind them of North's futile search for Premiership glory.

Maybe the central coast bears recruitment team is already there looking for new players?

tookey said:
Matabele said:
They'd want to enforce the blood rule carefully then.

Not a problem as not many norths players have ever spilt blood for their team.

The Bears problem was that (apart from Josh Stuart) they were always too nice. They always had 13-15 nice guys, and that doesn't work. You need a few grubs. You need a few nigglers. You need a few intimidators.

I could tell you plenty of players who bled for that club, like Gary Larson, Greg Florimo, Glenn Morrison, Mark O'Meley & a few others.

Ryan said:
tookey said:
Matabele said:
They'd want to enforce the blood rule carefully then.

Not a problem as not many norths players have ever spilt blood for their team.

The Bears problem was that (apart from Josh Stuart) they were always too nice. They always had 13-15 nice guys, and that doesn't work. You need a few grubs. You need a few nigglers. You need a few intimidators.

I could tell you plenty of players who bled for that club, like Gary Larson, Greg Florimo, Glenn Morrison, Mark O'Meley & a few others.

Being used as a punching bag does lead to the occasional bleed I guess.

In the old days simply being tackled on bear "concrete" park caused massive bleeding. And the grazes always become infected. A truly nasty ground in the seventies.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4