News: Bulldogs and Dragons both target Hopoate

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Buhrer isn't a local.

We all knew that other clubs will target him, it comes with the territory. Having "Manly looking into resigning promising young player" isn't exactly a headline that will get papers flying off the presses so we are only going to hear about other clubs trying to get him. I'll start worrying when he is actually going.

Always good fun when dealing with the bred not bought mob.

I don't think I have been as excited about a junior as Hoppa in the last decade.
He will be on the level of Inglis and Folau within a couple of years - for certain.
Thankfully, Snr Hoppa is a Manly boy through and though and that gives us a big edge to signing him.

i dont know what will happen with hopaa. It reminds me of the early 90s when ridgey was out for an extended period through injury and ivan cleary came into the side and killed it. Ivan was never going to keep ridgey out when fit so he left for other opprtunities. I hope we see a different result in this instance. I recall hearing a whisper years ago that manly continued to give john chance after chance to keep in the good books with the Hopoate family because they new even then that will would be something special, and he was only 12 at the time. That tells me that manly wont let him go without a fight and that the hoppas should be really keen to stay if we can get in the same ball park as any other offers

is hoppa sr. on the support staff?

god knows what he would do, but i thought i remembere dreading he had a paid affiliation with manly?

that would go a long way to re-signing him..

What ever happens we will only ever know a limited amount.

With back ending / front loading of contracts it is next to impossible to ascertain what is available at anyone time (this is my theory as to why players are signing 5 year deals - you can not tell me Idris is going to get the same pay every year)

Throw in player managers i.e. spin doctors and the truth will rarely comeout. Like it or not this is professional sport - players will move for more money. Just like we are able to be players like buhrer or hodgko as we paid overs when they were juniors people will try and do the same

joeboy said:
is hoppa sr. on the support staff?

God I hope not.

I think that Will is going to stay though. Many will probably go quite high to match offers from other clubs. They have shown that they are willing to pay overs for him.

He is more than likely to start for the majority of this year & is almost guaranteed a spot from then on. He grew up on the northern beaches, his friends are here, his family are here, he is familiar with the coaching staff & senior players at Manly & his coach is a friend of his fathers. I'd say that we are good odds to hang onto him.

Wolfpack said:
Buhrer isn't a local.

We all knew that other clubs will target him, it comes with the territory. Having "Manly looking into resigning promising young player" isn't exactly a headline that will get papers flying off the presses so we are only going to hear about other clubs trying to get him. I'll start worrying when he is actually going.

Always good fun when dealing with the bred not bought mob.

He is a penrith junior from my old club and the hills at some point in his career

I may have started the rumour about Junior Sau, and I'll stand by it only because my mate is a pretty reliable source, (I personally think he'll be with us, even though i dont agree on it) but I will be devasted if we lose Hoppa. Out of all our young guys (Hoppa, Buhrer, Oldfield, Harrison) Hoppa is the 1 guy we may have to pay overs for. He is on good $$$ at the moment only because we signed him up when he was 15. Who was the last local junior we signed for the that amount??? Also, where has Snake been? The last 3 weeks he has been a late omission because a supposed "hammy twinge"...sounds a little suss to me and I hope to see him on the park this Friday!

EagleRock40 said:
I may have started the rumour about Junior Sau, and I'll stand by it only because my mate is a pretty reliable source, (I personally think he'll be with us, even though i dont agree on it) but I will be devasted if we lose Hoppa. Out of all our young guys (Hoppa, Buhrer, Oldfield, Harrison) Hoppa is the 1 guy we may have to pay overs for. He is on good $$$ at the moment only because we signed him up when he was 15. Who was the last local junior we signed for the that amount??? Also, where has Snake been? The last 3 weeks he has been a late omission because a supposed "hammy twinge"...sounds a little suss to me and I hope to see him on the park this Friday!

I honestly believe for a talent like his there is no such thing as overs. You can rest assured if we do manage to keep him he'll have better offers from another club.

As for his old man, I don't believe he works for the club in any capacity but he is a director in a player manager company that specifically looks after the affairs of polynesian players with his son being a client. Which is kinda unfortunate for us because he'll be looking after his sons best interests and I think keep playing for manly because I did will be behind $$$$ and then permanent first grade spot.

the mauler said:
Apparently Hoppas already on big coin 4 an 18yr old(150g),and has been for a couple of years.Id let wolfman and robbo go, freeing up money 4 hoppa and oldfield.I rekon dessie has had a plan in place for retaining the young guns 4 a while.If Boyd stays with saints and Graham signs with dogs,wel keep Hoppa 4 sure.

Hoppa is on less than $100k

Wasn't his contract $200k over 2 or 3 years or something, That is big coin for an 18 year old but not massive. If he plays the way he has been playing and we have a place for him every week then he is certainly worth a little over $100k but if his price starts creeping up into the 150k + then you need to question the value

Daniel said:
Wasn't his contract $200k over 2 or 3 years or something, That is big coin for an 18 year old but not massive. If he plays the way he has been playing and we have a place for him every week then he is certainly worth a little over $100k but if his price starts creeping up into the 150k + then you need to question the value

Makes you think about the comparitive value to say someone like T-Rex. Isnt he on $200K or similar.

$100K a year over three years according to the reports at the time, not bad for a 15 or 16 year old. He'll command at least double that this time around.

Chip and Chase said:
$100K a year over three years according to the reports at the time, not bad for a 15 or 16 year old. He'll command at least double that this time around.

thats right thats what was printed but the sign fee was $50k with incentives that by playing NRL he will could earn up to $100k or close to it for this season

Ernie, what does your son Gary Riccardi get?
I'm not trying to be smart, I'd just love to know what an NYC 1/2 would get???

the danger club that we could lose Hoppa to isnt the dogs or the saints. It's the club that would offer to pay his father's legal bills and offer him a job.

ERNIE FOR NO7 said:
the danger club that we could lose Hoppa to isnt the dogs or the saints. It's the club that would offer to pay his father's legal bills and offer him a job.

Yes I agree...Dee Why RSL club must be stopped

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4