News: David Gallop offers Brett Stewart a chance

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Dan link said:
[quote author=dceagle link=topic=180027.msg218070#msg218070 date=1239067138]

Well Gallop how about you show up to Brooky on Sunday and explain to me and the many thousands that will also be there the reasoning for your persecution of Brett.

Of course you won't , but my invitation still stands.

I would think him one of the bravest men in the world to turn up at Brookie oval anytime within the next few  weeks
[/quote]

"anytime within the next few weeks"

I think you are being too generous there Dan.  Try "if he ever turns up to Brookie for an NRL game & probably for any Manly game be it at home or away".  I think it will be like when John Kerr sacked Geoff Whitlam back in 1975.  He was booed & harassed everywhere because of it for years until his death.  I can assume that most Manly supporters will feel the same way towards Gallop.

If I was Gallop and my star-player who was picked to launch the season and appear in all the ads was charged with sexual assualt, I would give him a 4 week ban (and hide it under being intoxicated at an official fucntion) too.

Gallop must pull his hair out at some of the things that the players do.

I don't rate him as an NRL CEO, but when was the last time a season was launched without a stuff-up on a players behalf?

dceagle link said:
Well Gallop how about you show up to Brooky on Sunday and explain to me and the many thousands that will also be there the reasoning for your persecution of Brett.

Of course you won't , but my invitation still stands.

Only if his new found friend Russell Crowe would be with him then he just maybe game enough show up at Brookie.

You can really see how Gallop has one set of rules for all players / clubs step down Gallop the game doesn't want another News LTD love child there's enough in game already.

CliffyIsGod link said:
If I was Gallop and my star-player who was picked to launch the season and appear in all the ads was charged with sexual assualt, I would give him a 4 week ban (and hide it under being intoxicated at an official fucntion) too.

Gallop must pull his hair out at some of the things that the players do.

I don't rate him as an NRL CEO, but when was the last time a season was launched without a stuff-up on a players behalf?

It was reported that Gallop was strongly advised to NOT risk attaching the game's image to individual players.  That advice makes sense.  Yet he chose to take the significant risk.

Worse still, when he took that significant risk, it seems he had no contingency plan.  Can you believe that?  Any junior manager could work out it is a good idea to have planned options when you take obvious risks.  So it appears the advertising company (or whoever) had him by the proverbials when his flawed plan flopped, and he needed something to screen.  And we now hear the cost is $1m.  So they recoup $100k from Manly, and ban Stewart for 4 weeks? And finger point to protect their sorry rear ends?

Fair dinkum, gallop is that stupid that if he was to organise a meeting with Brett with a view to making peace, he would set the meeting at a pub and offer Brett a dozen beers and a hooker for lunch. 

Re Gallop turning up to Brookie.  I'm sure I saw him in the dressing rooms of one of the winning teams last round, easts I think not sure but he was in one of the rooms.

I'd love to see him walk into the Sea eagles rooms, I doubt he would walk back out..

Ryno link said:
I'd love to see him walk into the Sea eagles rooms, I doubt he would walk back out..

That would be really silly like it or not he's the CEO of the game and snubbing him and shutting him out is only going to make things worse for us.

Had we taken his advice and stood Brett down ourselves he would have been back in one maybe two games.

missing_something link said:
[quote author=Ryno link=topic=180027.msg218167#msg218167 date=1239087217]

That would be really silly like it or not he's the CEO of the game and snubbing him and shutting him out is only going to make things worse for us.

Had we taken his advice and stood Brett down ourselves he would have been back in one maybe two games.
[/quote]

Sorry, but kissing corporate a**e ain't our style , especially this one !!!

dceagle link said:
[quote author=missing_something link=topic=180027.msg218168#msg218168 date=1239087409]
[quote author=Ryno link=topic=180027.msg218167#msg218167 date=1239087217]

[/quote]

Sorry, but kissing corporate a**e ain't our style , especially this one !!!
[/quote]

That’s not kissing arse it's doing what you have to do to get along. Changing the system is a hell of a lot easier from within than trying to do it from the outside and at the end of the day what did Manly snubbing there nose at Gallop achieve – that right nothing it doubled the suspension, Souths are working Gallop from the inside and at least being heard.

Don't get me wrong Gallop needs to go but right now the club HAS TO work with the guy.

Its a tricky one and needs cool tactical heads:

Brett should consider playing Gallop for the dope he is and meeting with him over tea and bikkies and being Mr Nice Guy. This'd shut Gallop down with least amount of effort and pain. War is too much trouble and a distraction to the job of winning the comp!

That way he doesn't allow Gallop to open the door to any further friction. It'd be poor strategy to continue a war with "city hall nrl" and this would definitely result in lose/lose for Stewie and Manly and more games and cash down the drain...

Rope a Dope I reckon  ;D

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/nrl/story/0,27074,25306448-14823,00.html

The NRL continues to seek details of the Stewart case from the player's SC, Geoff Bellew. But Bellew is giving little away.

"We have said anything they can tell us we would appreciate," NRL chief executive David Gallop said.

Anyone who trusts Gallop's words at face value might consider other scenarios.

Rex link said:
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/nrl/story/0,27074,25306448-14823,00.html

The NRL continues to seek details of the Stewart case from the player's SC, Geoff Bellew. But Bellew is giving little away.

\"We have said anything they can tell us we would appreciate,\" NRL chief executive David Gallop said.

Anyone who trusts Gallop's words at face value might consider other scenarios.
This story is a bit weird imo, for starters why would the NRL seek details of Stewart's case from his lawyer? My guess is the NRL have been trying to find out if it would be a guilty plea, and if not guilty, exactly what kind of case the defence could mount. Absolutely crazy for Brett to discuss details of his case with anyone, especially the NRL (News Ltd) in my view.

I reckon that is also why Gallop wants to meet Brett. Otherwise what on earth is there for Gallop to explain in person? He made his views crystal clear to the media at the time.

Lastly, Jethro..."Geoff Whitlam" ??!!

EagleRock, Geoff Whitlam was Gough's second cousin from Tasmania. He was famous for quoting, "Well may they say God save the Queen, because nothing will save the Tasmanian Tiger!"
As for Stewie meeting with Gallop, maybe it's not such a bad idea as a peace making effort. As long as Stewart's lawyer is present and nothing too controversial is exchanged is exchanged it could be a step in the right direction.
I'm not suggesting that Stewart should discuss the case with Gallop, but maybe they should try to get back on positive terms. It can only help things as Gallop's not going away - at least in '09.

If he does come to Brookie they should make him pay for a ticket. General admission ticket only where he can sit amongst the crowd.

SeaEagleRock8 link said:
Lastly, Jethro...\"Geoff Whitlam\" ??!!

Woops, sorry about that.  Yes, I meant Gough Whitlam.  I guess that I should have researched the correct spelling of his first name before I posted.

Jethro link said:
[quote author=SeaEagleRock8 link=topic=180027.msg218238#msg218238 date=1239143622]

Lastly, Jethro...\"Geoff Whitlam\" ??!!

Woops, sorry about that.  Yes, I meant Gough Whitlam.  I guess that I should have researched the correct spelling of his first name before I posted.

[/quote]
On the contrary, well worth it just to get that smiley

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8