News: Fans hand out a $25m war chest

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Harmless27 link said:
I have a confession to make....

I read this site once or twice a week - and i NEVER EVER go to the MWSE site.  I have never heard ONE THING about membership from this club.  I have been going to games since i was 9 years old, went to school across the road, and i get a ferry from Manly to the City EVERY DAY. 

I love my club, i love the area.  I have been a member of the leagues club. 

But there is ZERO incentive for me to join..... Other than to make a \"donation\".  Who the F wants to make a friggin donation????? I don't go to ,y local pub and say \"here is $70, just wanted you to have it because i like you to be here....\"

We live in an age where people demand value for money.  We (I), and more than happy to pay money if i get value from something.  I need to know it exists, and i need to know what i get out of it.  these are cornerstones of marketing......

I feel like i support an amateur club sometimes......

Are you just trying to stir sh1t?

Your local pub is a private enterprise run solely for the profit of the owners. Of course you don't donate to that.

The Football club is more of a community facility to think of in a user pays way.
Every time you feel happy that Manly has won, you're using the facility. Every time you argue footy with someone who supports a different team, you're using the facility.

The fact of the team existing is what you get out of it. That's your value.

Why shouldn't you pay?

Duff - i am not stirring anything - i am a consumer. 

Sport is no longer simply a community endeavour, it is a business.  The Manly Warringah Sea Eagles are a local business.  They are a sporting team who compete in a national competition.  The true nature of their competition is, in fact, to generate more money than the other clubs, and other sporting teams.  Rugby League is no longer an amateur sport - people get paid VERY good money to play for Manly.  You cannot simply expect supporters to shell out money (hard earned) without receiving a benefit.  If the beneit is a "feeling", then it is hard to quantify, and tehrefore hard to sell to potential members!

This is not a discussion about whether or not i buy tickets to a game - i regularly buy tickets to watch the eagles, and wil continue to do so...... this is about purchasing membership.  I am honestly struggling to understand why i should become a member, when i can buy tickets at the ground. 

If someone can clearly state the benefits to me of membership, in comparison to what i get in my currebnt situation (being a dedicated supporter, buying match tickets when i can make games) ui would greatly appreciate it.

Harmless27 link said:

Sport is no longer simply a community endeavour, it is a business.  The Manly Warringah Sea Eagles are a local business.  They are a sporting team who compete in a national competition.  The true nature of their competition is, in fact, to generate more money than the other clubs, and other sporting teams.  Rugby League is no longer an amateur sport - people get paid VERY good money to play for Manly.  You cannot simply expect supporters to shell out money (hard earned) without receiving a benefit.  If the beneit is a \"feeling\", then it is hard to quantify, and tehrefore hard to sell to potential members!

This is not a discussion about whether or not i buy tickets to a game - i regularly buy tickets to watch the eagles, and wil continue to do so...... this is about purchasing membership.  I am honestly struggling to understand why i should become a member, when i can buy tickets at the ground. 

If someone can clearly state the benefits to me of membership, in comparison to what i get in my currebnt situation (being a dedicated supporter, buying match tickets when i can make games) ui would greatly appreciate it.

The clubs main focus is season ticket holders ATM which is shown through the NRL big season ticket drive (note nrl website ticketed club camparison). The benefit to the consumer would be if you bought a 6 match flexi pass or a season ticket holder and therefore saved money in the long run if you were going to go to that many games anyway, I think they are also classifying these members now as ticketed members. happy to be corrected.

I agree to the $60 donation that for the average joe on the streets of Manly who is not a die hard supporter would say where is the benefit? Other supporters would say well hes not a true supporter, well the fact is these types of supporters make up the majority of our club.

Harmless27 link said:
I have a confession to make....

I read this site once or twice a week - and i NEVER EVER go to the MWSE site.  I have never heard ONE THING about membership from this club.  I have been going to games since i was 9 years old, went to school across the road, and i get a ferry from Manly to the City EVERY DAY. 

I love my club, i love the area.  I have been a member of the leagues club. 

But there is ZERO incentive for me to join..... Other than to make a \"donation\".  Who the F wants to make a friggin donation????? I don't go to ,y local pub and say \"here is $70, just wanted you to have it because i like you to be here....\"

We live in an age where people demand value for money.  We (I), and more than happy to pay money if i get value from something.  I need to know it exists, and i need to know what i get out of it.  these are cornerstones of marketing......

I feel like i support an amateur club sometimes......

ZERO incentive?  You've got to be kidding me.  Having a team to support is and should be incentive enough especially if you are lucky enough to live in the district and be able to go regularly attend games.  Your comments sound very greedy but everybodies financial situation is different so their may be some reason why you would be hesitant to donate money to the club that you say you love and have been going to watch since you were 9 years old.  You say that you need to know that it exists and that you need to know what you get out of it, well, the club exists because of membership payments and company sponsorships.  Without these payments and sponsorships, the club would not exist.  What you get out of it is that you will have a team to support and to enjoy and celebrate when they win etc.

As for your comments about never hearing one thing about membership from this club then I can partially agree with you.  Unless you have access to a computer with the internet then other means of them speaking up about membership is scarce.  As I don't live in the area or Sydney, I don't know whether they advertise anywhere else such as the Manly Daily, major Sydney newspapers, letterbox deliveries or local television but if they don't then I think that they should.  I remember a couple of years ago when I was living down on the Gold Coast and had Foxtel and was watching one of the NRL games on FOX Sports, during one of the breaks, there was an advertisement for Bulldogs (I think or was it St George) membership.  I think that Manly should look at doing something like that as well to promote membership to people outside of the district.

Harmless27 link said:

Sport is no longer simply a community endeavour, it is a business.  The Manly Warringah Sea Eagles are a local business.  They are a sporting team who compete in a national competition.  The true nature of their competition is, in fact, to generate more money than the other clubs, and other sporting teams.  Rugby League is no longer an amateur sport - people get paid VERY good money to play for Manly.  You cannot simply expect supporters to shell out money (hard earned) without receiving a benefit.  If the beneit is a \"feeling\", then it is hard to quantify, and tehrefore hard to sell to potential members!

This is not a discussion about whether or not i buy tickets to a game - i regularly buy tickets to watch the eagles, and wil continue to do so...... this is about purchasing membership.  I am honestly struggling to understand why i should become a member, when i can buy tickets at the ground.  

Well, I guess if you feel like that about it you wouldn't be too upset if the "franchise" was forced to relocate.

For me, I don't support a franchise. I support my local team so it's a little less of a quantifiable matter.

If Manly relocated, I'd no longer support them, so it's in my interest to do what (little) I can to help avoid it (in a small way).

Harmless, I would have thought that a six match flexi pass would be perfect for your circumtances. It gives you value in dollars saved and makes you a ticketed member.

There have been membership ads in the Manly Daily recently as part of the overall drive.

I've got the day off today and am at the mall. Jamie Buhrer and Cherry-Evans just wondered past. If DCE could just bulk up a bit more he might make it as he's got a heap of attacking skills and a good boot.

The article states we only have 2500 as members, if this is the case something is definitely wrong somewhere! A major marketing overhaul is what is needed, marketers must be a the pub all day if this is the best they can do.

I find the never having heard anything about membership from this club laughable if you go to the games as you say, every time I have been to Brookie there has been membership stuff in your face and in the paper they hand out as well

Also, as you say, you have never heard "one thing" about membership from the club. Well, how would you expect to hear from the club if you show no interest in finding out as well, 1 visit to the website is all it takes, they don't have someone sitting there ringing random phone numbers hoping to get you on the other end of the line

F\Harmless, for my membership money I guess it's slightly cheaper to get in to the home matches and you don't have to stand at the ticket office and wait in line.  I get a cap and some stickers as well.  No free beer though, but a couple of hours entertainment at the game and hours discussing it afterwards with other like minded people.  I suppose I could just go to the pub, but what the heck, people are social animals and naturally gravitate to a group.  Manly supporters are such a group.  And besides all that, I like the inner warm feeling of being a true supporter.  Putting money where my mouth is.         

Harmless27 link said:

Sport is no longer simply a community endeavour, it is a business. (etc)
If you don't want to join that's ok with me.
However consider this question if you will ... how many businesses or products do you actually stand up and cheer for?
Maybe that is the difference. For many fans there is some emotional connection with the team  - very hard to explain but it is a phenomenon. Joining a couple of years ago has made me feel more connected with the joint, after many many years of being a supporter. I've even got to meet Des and the players and I don't even live in Sydney. But my reason for joining was not because I wanted to purchase a good value product. It probably was more like a donation in my case, although the ticketed memberships I think do confer financial savings. But each to his own.

If I didn't know better I'd think Harmless was a troll..?

However.....As a Manly fan, pay a visit to the official mwse website www.mwse.com.au (It's free and there is all sorts of info about your club, it's players and general team news so is pretty much a "must do" for any supporter especially during the season)

It is without doubt a much better source of club info than the Telegraph.

Whilst you are there have a look at membership details and then see if there is benefit in you joining?

Unfortunately there will be some sections of the site that you don't have access to as a non-member such as chatting on line to players, the forum and MWTV which has some great footage of a variety of games, press conferences, training sessions and trip diaries etc...

If that doesn't persuade you then cast your mind back to the Northern Eagles debacle....?

Aah the Northern Eagles, how much do I pay now????....can I pay more to NEVER see anything like that again!!

If by paying my membership every year REGARDLESS of the value I get helps me experience another 2008 Grand Final I'll pay anything.

Simple..... pay peanuts get monkeys!!

The total take from membership fees couldn't be more than 2-300k, not much even just relative to the salary cap, let alone all the other costs. 

So I don't see membership as being the financial lifeblood of the club, not unless it at least triples. 

Increase the average home crowd by 1000 and you would make more. 

Jethro link said:
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=182472.msg252338#msg252338 date=1266832251]

On the subject of Aaron, I'm not sure how many of you remember the wasteland that was MWSE before he took it over.  Credit to the bloke for lifting the website and other associated areas to an acceptable level.  Before that he was webmaster of One Eyed Eagles which was the largest unofficial supporters site at the time and dwarfed silvertails.  I guess silvertails has inherited that mantle.

But credit where credit is due and many thanks to Aaron.

Totally agree with those comments. Congratulations Aaron on your achievements over at MWSE. I'm sure that they will be sorry to see you go.

(does this also mean that
OneEyedEagle.jpg
may rear it's head again?)
[/quote]  It would be great to see OEE resurrect itself.  Good competition to keep us on our toes.  ;-)

Perhaps the Oracle could be enticed out of retirement.

If it wasn't for OEE there would be no Silvertails. :)

As for harmless, I can see where he is coming from. Not long ago footy was the dominant code, it appeared on free-to-air TV and the game was easily accessible to the fans. Now it is a business, it is competitive with other codes and exploits and the owners/companies etc rate higher than the fan on the hill. Membership has never been a NRL thing - unlike in Melbourne and the AFL. However, times have changed and we need to play a small part in enjoying the privilege of supporting our team. On Grand Final Day 08 there were about 70 000 Manly fans madly cheering on the team. Just get half of them paying  $100 and we have a cool 3 1/2 million extra in the coffers. (Won't happen though!)

Matabele link said:
[quote author=Jethro link=topic=182472.msg252347#msg252347 date=1266845506]

[quote author=Matabele link=topic=182472.msg252338#msg252338 date=1266832251]

On the subject of Aaron, I'm not sure how many of you remember the wasteland that was MWSE before he took it over.  Credit to the bloke for lifting the website and other associated areas to an acceptable level.  Before that he was webmaster of One Eyed Eagles which was the largest unofficial supporters site at the time and dwarfed silvertails.  I guess silvertails has inherited that mantle.

But credit where credit is due and many thanks to Aaron.

Totally agree with those comments. Congratulations Aaron on your achievements over at MWSE. I'm sure that they will be sorry to see you go.

(does this also mean that
OneEyedEagle.jpg
may rear it's head again?)
[/quote] 

It would be great to see OEE resurrect itself.  Good competition to keep us on our toes.  ;-)

Perhaps the Oracle could be enticed out of retirement.
[/quote]

groggo over on MWSE asked Aaron basically the same question that I did just after I did on here and Aaron's response was:

"Definitely NOT. OEE was always intended to be a proof of concept that ended up taking on a life of its own. OEE gone forever."

Matabele link said:
Does the Eagle Rockers site still exist?

Yeah. I just checked it but by the looks of things, it doesn't get used very much.  It may pick up as we get closer to the season start but who knows.  There are also a lot of way out of date stuff on their home page like 2005, 2006, 2007, & 2008 stuff

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2