News: Fears that Kite may fly Sea Eagles' coop to England

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
DSM5 link said:
You all pilloried me when i didn't genuflect at the alter of the Great Ox.  Now some of you have come around to looking at the team with more reality.  Kite has given us his best and needs to move on.  He's not the force he was and people should admit it.  No good comes of hanging onto players who are on the decline.   

What was your view on Menzies through 2003 and 2004 DSM ?

His form was ordinary those few seasons, yet a few years later was playing some of the best football of his career. If we played you theory on Kite out on Menzies, we wouldn't have seen those years

Kite still has plenty of top quality footy left in him imo

OK Kiwi, you're entitled to your opinion, as am I.  I'm like Dan.  Back to back seems just to difficult in this day and age.  If you accept this, then a broom needs to be swept through the playing stock to look two to three years down the track.  Princess, Kite, Ox, hall, LeStrange and a few more fringe dwellers need to be looked at without the rosey glasses of 08.  On Beaver's contribution in 02 and 03.  Certainly his form would warrant a non-jaundiced look.  However there wasn't the pressure of young guns coming through which we might have liked to keep.  Our reserve bench was limited, as was money.  Therefore he was worth persisting with.  Just as I would be loath to resign Monas or Beaver for 09, we must look to the future and give the young guys a go, or we will lose them.  Simple really.       

Always enjoy posing a question to you DSM, and you always respond well

I may be wrong here, but I still think of Kite being 27 or 28. There is an old saying props don't hit their straps until they are around 30, so the best of Kite may be still coming, like it has with Petero and Price, so looking 2-3 years down the track, I can still see him playing a big role

We have young blokes coming through, and personally I see Kite as the bloke to take them forward and show them the ropes both on and off the paddock. I still think King has plenty to offer us as well

Hall, we have gotten good service from but if he made way to free space I wouldn't mind, same with Heath

exactly right. I can handle a few years of hanging around 8th spot for 2 solid years of being near the top.

To be honest I enjoyed the seasons where we were almost there but just not good enough as much as last year. It was great not being 100% sure of the outcome of the game but seeing a team on the build and with guts a plenty.

If we lose JWH it will be tragic, because back to back is just too hard, and not worth the shot. There are so many arguments for trimming the fat straight away and looking for some youngsters. IMO Ox is getting on, sign him cheaply for another year or two, but let him know he will not be in first grade every week, or let him know he is there to mentor younger players coming through.

there are a few players that are starting to get on in years and whilst their contribution in the past was great, it was in the past and we should be looking to hit back for another win in 2011 to 2013 with the intervening years of some testing out a few key new players

Meanwhile Kite’s manager Daryl Mather has labelled talk his client was looking to get out of the final two years of his Manly deal and move to the English Super League as “ridiculous”.

Reports emerged on Monday that English club Hull were circling the Clive Churchill medallist for next season but Mather categorically denied those claims.

“It’s absolute nonsense. He will be fulfilling his deal with Manly,” Mather told the Daily.

“It’s a ridiculous story, he’ll only be playing (at Manly), end of story.”

Sea Eagles coach Des Hasler on Tuesday night named both his Origin stars in the team for Saturday’s must win clash against the Roosters at Brookvale Oval.

And Manly backrower Glenn Hall has announced he has signed a three-year deal to join English Super League club Bradford next season.

The 28-year-old will join up with former teammate Steve Menzies at the Bulls.

“When I came to Manly I was just looking for a chance and they’ve turned me into a first grader and I’ve won a premiership,” Hall said.

Dan what you are saying makes no sense at all.

You are suggesting that after winning a premiership, you look to offload half of the team that got you there and start from scratch. That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

We have had some shocking decisions this year, combine that with the off field board dramas and with the Stewart incident at the start of the year and we have been set back from the outset.

This team went to England and won a game that very few Australian teams have been able to, and did it in very similar fashion to last years Grand Final, with the exception of getting tired late in the game which is understandable.

If we had Stewart early on, I have no doubt we would have beaten the Warriors, Penrith and possibly Newcastle. Throw in the Gold Coast game and we are currently on 18 points in equal 1st place and everyone is praising the team and talking about how well placed we are to go back to back!!!!

I have to agree with clon. There is no way a victorious team management thinks that was great but lets clean out all the players and reasons for our success because we need to plan 3 years ahead. If you want a serious mutiny from the fans at the Board this would be a greater reason than the current farce we are looking at.

I never said offload half the team. I said you should immediately start looking at the people that are coming through and the people that are on their way out. Your half back unless he is young probably wont see you through many grand finals. For instance you can see Orford is nearing hsi use by date. He is off contract at the end of the year. Rather than persisting with him, we should have been shaping up for a new half back or one of the younger kids to start getting some time.

It just makes more sense to be looking to the future rather than dwelling on the past

It's naive to think that Stewart, by him self would have that much effect

I think having Stewart on the field, would have given us wins over the Panthers, Warriors and Titans, 6 more points.

Would put us on 16 points, nicely in the 8.

I doubt that. Nueman lost us those games by dropping balls consistently which led to repeat sets and tries. Stewart wouldnt have saved them

I have a feeling another 5 year plan has just begun - Kite going?  hall gone

Dan link said:
It's naive to think that Stewart, by him self would have that much effect

It's not just the fact that Stewart was out for those games earlier in the season but the mental effect the whole situation had on the playing staff.

Had the pre season function not got out of hand the whole season WOULD have been different for manly. I'm not saying we would go back to back but we would be in a totally different place then we are now.

I've mentioned plenty of time that Kite has been below par this year but to get rid of him would be a huge mistake. He is our forward leader and no doubt will recapture his form.

Also agree with the emphasis on signing up JWH... he looks like a good promising front rower and no team should let them go it is so hard to find a decent front rower especially in NSW at the moment.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4