News: Manly to lock in Hoppa

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Jono said:
I have a feeling his dad will have the last say in regards to this...and John loved/loves this club. William will be staying at Brookvale. He will get a pay rise to 200,000 or more and it won't be as much as the other clubs offer him. However, we will give him the ability to live at home, look after the family, stay in a maroon and white jumper, and most importantly, give him opportunities in the fullback position with one of the best in the history of this game training him on a weekly basis (Brett).

Think about it, of the clubs that want him, only the Dragons will have an open fullback position and even that has been reserved for Nightingale (and he deserves it as well). Parra has Hayne, Dogs have Barba, Knights will have Boyd. He will be pushed into the position of centre or wing at any club...and for 400,000 for a position like that? In all honesty I'd prefer to try to retain Oldfield and Buhrer for 300,000 (overall for both that is) than waste 400,000 on one player. You reserve 400,000 for your internationals, not an 18 year old who in 4 years could be injured like Brett and costing us money.

Pay him 200,000 on a 2 year contract then up it to 300,000 at next negotiations. By then he'll be 20 years old and possibly our full time fullback.

Spot on, and for the record the dishlickers have offer $250k for three years. He will re-sign with Manly for $200-$220k and he will be good value at that price.

I never thought we would keep Hodkinson but ive got a good feeling that we will keep Hoppa. Hasler seemed very confident and im sure the reason we have not bought any big name players is to keep these young guys. Im almost 100% sure that we will let T-Rex go. If i am wrong and we lose him i will start worrying about our financial situation.

ManlyBacker said:
Manly hope to have Will Hopoate signed up on a long term deal about the same time the rookie Sea Eagle is celebrating a shock call-up to the representative arena.

Read the full article

cant belive we can loose this kid, we can do without kite big joe trex,rodney,rose,robbo,wolfie, and lets face it brett stewart wont get back to what we no... we must keep the new genaration or bruer,mouro,tim robson,harrisson,oldfied and of course hoppa

If another team is seriously offering him 400K, why would anyone think that he'd stay here for 200K. Absolutely dreaming. If its a 3 year deal. That's 600K extra, call it a decent apartment and much more income for the family.

Some people said we should keep him at all costs. I totally disagree. If he costs more that 300K (which i already think is overs) then he can go elsewhere. 300K for an 18 year with a handful of first grade games is way too much. Keeping him for 300K will probably result in us losing the wolfman. As much as i like the bloke, Wolfie would probably be on decent coin and not needed. Id much rather hold on to Robbo cheaply. Great under the high ball, great kick returns, great finisher, and still quite quick, and on top of that, doesn't miss games, so you get your moneys worth.

Play Hoppa on the wing, Oldfield as a back up. It sounds like Lyon may be past it for his rep career with Sticky calling in Gasnier for a senoir players meeting, and probably Idris already having locked in the other spot. The only rep backs we'd have would be Matai. Whare as back up should we need more help there.

Get rid of Robbo and Wolf.

Oldfield and Hoppa Jnr are the good and the next gen for manly. When Brett is too old he needs to do a lockyer (provided he actually could) thats when will can move into the fullback roll. (he'd be what) 21 - 22 then?

jabroni said:
If another team is seriously offering him 400K, why would anyone think that he'd stay here for 200K. Absolutely dreaming. If its a 3 year deal. That's 600K extra, call it a decent apartment and much more income for the family.

The biggest offer on the table right now is $250k. For the tenth time, he will be staying.

Ralphie said:
The biggest offer on the table right now is $250k. For the tenth time, he will be staying.

You're absolutely certain of that? I take it you're best mates with tyran smith then?

jabroni said:
Ralphie said:

You're absolutely certain of that? I take it you're best mates with tyran smith then?

Oh groan, I will resurrect these posts after he has re-signed and you can say what you want then. Until then I give up, go ahead and carry on with the shrill speculation.

Just want to say that I like clicking on the 'last post' tab at the top of the page on Anzac Day.

Kiwi Eagle said:
Ralphie, how is your price figure fact while others are speculation ?

The dishlickers offer of $250k ($750k over 3 years) has been published in the media. As I have said before, I'm not making statements of speculation. I have mail from a source that has been extremely reliable in the past and whilst it is possible he is misinformed, I think it unlikely.

Those bandying around figures of $400k are in Disneyland.

400k would be far far far too much for Hoppa. he has played a handful of NRL games and we can't even find a permanent spot for him.

IMO 250K a season is overs as well. If we have a player on that sort of money he better be playing every single week and not sitting in NSW cup

I have to say I find the $400K figure hard to believe. If they have that sort of money for Hoppa you would think they could have retained Idris. I know he looks like a super star already, but at 18 with only 9 first grade games, how could any club justify making him one of their highest paid players at this stage of his career.

400k is media BS. Im very confident of keeping him, the fact we have had him on the books since he was quite young shows he has always been in our plans. If we lose him it will be due to the clubs financial situation or a ridiculous offer from a desperate club like Parramatta.

"The Sunday Mail believes the Bulldogs have tabled the rookie Sea Eagle a three-year deal worth $750,000 while Parramatta and St George Illawarra have also entered the contest for the rising star's signature."

The above was in Sunday's papers.

Ralphie said:
"The Sunday Mail believes the Bulldogs have tabled the rookie Sea Eagle a three-year deal worth $750,000 while Parramatta and St George Illawarra have also entered the contest for the rising star's signature."

Hey ralphie I hope you are on the money answer do keep little hoppa

Cambo said:
Ralphie said:

Hey ralphie I hope you are on the money answer do keep little hoppa

Cambo, as sure as we shared a beer at the Ship Inn, he will stay.

My guess is that we may offer a longer term deal that is back ended to give us time to sort it within the cap, but I'm speculating on that.

Remember what those papers also said about Brett and plenty of other things though, I wouldnt quote them as a reliable source personally

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6