News: Max: Time for peace and harmony

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Mark from Brisbane link said:
Possible peace Plan.

Max Delmege to step aside from the board appointing another Delmege person (not neccesarily another Delmege) in his place, still retains his share of voting BUT potentially takes away the drama's attached for a new CEO.

Scott Penn steps down as Chairman but retains board position, again same reason as above.

Football Club rep to take position of Chairman of the new board.

AND here's the \"curved ball\".

The Football Club person to be a woman......seconded to the board to replace Kerry Sibraa who has resigned.

Some have suggested Sarah Murdoch but that won't happen (she doesn't have the time nor is in the country enough)......perhaps one of the high profile \"Eagles Angels\".......I don't have a full list of them, maybe a Layne Beachley or Melinda Gainsford????

We'd be the first club to appoint a woman as Chairman........AND, if anyone can \"broker a peace\" it might be one of those ladies!!!

Just an idea......any thoughts everyone???
what about we start by having two seperate chairmans of the Leagues club and football club. Its absurb that one person who ever they are have influence over 3 votes when the blokes who are the owners and foot the billes only have influence over 2 votes each.

That would be a great start.
Before anyone jumps on me this isnt a personal attack on Bob Reilly id be saying it about anyone, it's just crazy.

Mata's it's an \"idea\"

Apart from knocking the crap out of me what's yours?????

I think it's a very good idea Mark, it will be difficult for the 2 egos to give away power they currently have. By their own admission they know the infighting is hurting the club. The club that they love so much ::)

It's about time the settle their differences and come to a compromise for the betterment of the club.

It definitely has merit Mark, but the new people on board would and should be able to think independently. The problem with that, is that as long as Max is around, you had better do what he says or thinks, or it's out you go.

Doesn't matter WHAT side of the fence the person sits on - Max power ego will shut anyone down with a different view to him, and if he STILL can't get his way, Max will drag the clubs laundry through the media again like he does so well.

We just can't win, unless it's all Max's way.

I have sat on a board of an organisation - 10 man board, not seven - and I can tell you that two rival factions will not work long term. An independent chair may help somewhat but in the end, power struggles end up consuming time and effort that could otherwise be devoted to better things. Always trying to compromise or be seen not to favour or support one side or the other leads to problems. (This would seem to be the reason why Mayer is going now rather than at the end of the season.)

Ryan, if I'd poured millions into the club I'd want it my way.  A CEO needs to be just that, a CEO, not a faction player.  We'll see who gets the nod, and meanwhile, sit back, go to the games and support the club.

DSM5 link said:
Ryan, if I'd poured millions into the club I'd want it my way.  A CEO needs to be just that, a CEO, not a faction player.  We'll see who gets the nod, and meanwhile, sit back, go to the games and support the club.
  So it makes sense to you that the FC representatives have jumped to the tune of the guy who failed to pay his bills and clearly can't contribute to any future losses (which are probably inevitable with an interim CEO in place) according to his equity share?

DSM5 link said:
Fair enough.  You want the CEO to be seen as independent of factions.  And what of the League Club and Football Club directors?

Matabele link said:
[quote author=DSM5 link=topic=180789.msg228394#msg228394 date=1245461826]
  So it makes sense to you that the FC representatives have jumped to the tune of the guy who failed to pay his bills and clearly can't contribute to any future losses (which are probably inevitable with an interim CEO in place) according to his equity share?
[/quote]

Do any of us really know the current state of Mr Delmege's financial situation? Are any here on this website Max's accountant or working in Max's business? We can well imagine that Max, being a resourceful and competitive person would be have been moving heaven and earth these past several months to improve his cashflow situation.

We all know that Max is asset rich and has a strong business, so it might not take someone of his determination and skills very long to turn things around.

Mata, are we only relying on rumours and innuendo, or does someone have hard evidence that Max Delmege cannot contribute his equity share to the Sea Eagles now and into the future?

Personally I am very appreciative of Max's great support for Manly over the last 6 years and are willing to forgive the battle of egos between him and Mr Penn as long as both of them are now willing to grow up and put the mistakes of the past 6 months behind them and work together.

The idea I "floated" (and thanks for the positive reponses to everyone that did so) I think has some merit.

The Football Club HAS to be on that board, otherwise the owners can do anything they want with their company.

The board need a 75% vote for (or against) to squash a plan or move a plan...that's 6 of the 7 votes (well actually it's 5.25 but it means that the board cannot vote 5-2 and make a major change).

Having an "independant person" such as the ladies mentioned (and yes sorry I forgot Wendy Harmer she would also be good) would not only be a "token" female but someone coming in WITHOUT any loyalties or ties to either the Penn Group of the Delmege group.

In essence they would need to be tied to the Football Club (as that's pretty much the only place they can come from).

Someone would still represent the Leagues Club leaving two spots for the Football Club, the proposed female and one other person.

Look it's JUST an idea.....but if you want "peace and harmony" then some faces have to change, and this plan is as ghood as any I have seen on this thread!!!

The idea I \"floated\" (and thanks for the positive reponses to everyone that did so) I think has some merit.

The Football Club HAS to be on that board, otherwise the owners can do anything they want with their company.

The board need a 75% vote for (or against) to squash a plan or move a plan...that's 6 of the 7 votes (well actually it's 5.25 but it means that the board cannot vote 5-2 and make a major change).

Having an \"independant person\" such as the ladies mentioned (and yes sorry I forgot Wendy Harmer she would also be good) would not only be a \"token\" female but someone coming in WITHOUT any loyalties or ties to either the Penn Group of the Delmege group.

In essence they would need to be tied to the Football Club (as that's pretty much the only place they can come from).

Someone would still represent the Leagues Club leaving two spots for the Football Club, the proposed female and one other person.

Look it's JUST an idea.....but if you want \"peace and harmony\" then some faces have to change, and this plan is as ghood as any I have seen on this thread!!!
change is a good idea mark.
i would like to see this
2 penn (scott penn exc director meaning he becomes the new CEO)
2 delmege
1 Football club
1 Leagues club
1 Indeptant Voting Chairman

Possible peace Plan.

Max Delmege to step aside from the board appointing another Delmege person (not neccesarily another Delmege) in his place, still retains his share of voting BUT potentially takes away the drama's attached for a new CEO.

Scott Penn steps down as Chairman but retains board position, again same reason as above.

The Football Club person to be a woman......seconded to the board to replace Kerry Sibraa who has resigned.

Some have suggested Sarah Murdoch but that won't happen (she doesn't have the time nor is in the country enough)......perhaps one of the high profile \"Eagles Angels\".......I don't have a full list of them, maybe a Layne Beachley or Melinda Gainsford????

We'd be the first club to appoint a woman as Chairman........AND, if anyone can \"broker a peace\" it might be one of those ladies!!!

Mark from Brisbane - great suggestion.  I'm JEF's wife, Mary - Manager of the Eagles Angels...may I suggest one or all of the following Angels....Sarah Murdoch, Melinda Gainsford Taylor, Nici Andronicus, Anne Sargeant, Zali Steggall, Kerri Pottharst or Tracey Spicer.

JEF link said:
[quote author=Mark from Brisbane link=topic=180789.msg228270#msg228270 date=1245390656]
Possible peace Plan.

Mark from Brisbane - great suggestion.  I'm JEF's wife, Mary - Manager of the Eagles Angels...may I suggest one or all of the following Angels....Sarah Murdoch, Melinda Gainsford Taylor, Nici Andronicus, Anne Sargeant, Zali Steggall, Kerri Pottharst or Tracey Spicer.
[/quote]
hi mary
defintely some impressive women you have named then and please don't think i'm being critical of you or them at all. I just hope who ever we put on the board has to be put there because they have the business skills to help push the club forward.
I'm sure they do but from a business point of view the only i know anything about is Sarah. I'm sure you know them all alot better than i do. If possible can you fill us in.

Love your articles at MWSE keep up the great work.

Hi Mary

I'd also echo Cliffy GC's comments I love those aticles you do on MWSE!!!

Thanks for all those names I just mentioned 2 or 3 of them but you have a motza there to consider.

Someone would need to canvas them to see if they are interested.

I think it would be absolutly fantastic to have the first female Chairperson of a Football Entity......and I'll tell you what....I bet they'd handle the factions a LOT better than what's happened the last 6 months!!!

Anyway it's (as I say) just an idea........I came down last weekend and attended the Panthers V Sea Eagles game and the PINK inspired me!!!!

Hi Mary

Thanks for all those names I just mentioned 2 or 3 of them but you have a motza there to consider.

Someone would need to canvas them to see if they are interested.

I think it would be absolutly fantastic to have the first female Chairperson of a Football Entity......and I'll tell you what....I bet they'd handle the factions a LOT better than what's happened the last 6 months!!!

Anyway it's (as I say) just an idea........I came down last weekend and attended the Panthers V Sea Eagles game and the PINK inspired me!!!!
I don't believe in Santa but I do think the idea has tremendous potential. In the end it will be a case of the best person for the job but I hope for the reasons above that some women put their hand up and if we get the right candidate who knows. It could be a marketing and peacekeeping masterstroke?? (by the way I do believe in the easter bunny I've seen it)

Thank you SER8!!!

I am NOT by any means saying this is the answer BUT....it's an idea that might just create some "peace and harmony"...and after the last six months I think we all need some of that????

BUT I agree the RIGHT person must be chosen, that person (male or female) needs to not only be a "peacemaker" but a visionary who can lead us forward out of this mudhole we have slipped into.

quality CEO's are very thin
thats why i think not keeping grant was short sighted.
This isnt a time where i think we will get away with not having a sharp CEO

Cliffy Gc link said:
quality CEO's are very thin
thats why i think not keeping grant was short sighted.
This isnt a time where i think we will get away with not having a sharp CEO
Agreed, but having a functional board is more important than hanging on to one individual even when he seemed to have plenty going for him as CEO.

The problem for any incoming CEO is that the conditions which eventually made Grant's job impossible - that is the 2 major shareholders and their respective agendas -will still remain.

Therefore the push to make the football club membership more actively involved and its board more responsive to its members (hopefully a growing number of) is very important. In fact the FC (and Leagues Club) are the only potential buffers to reduce the dependence of the management on the whim of  majority owners.

Agree SER8

BUT

Everyone needs to be very aware of the 75% situation.

A 75% majority needs to be obtained to make major changes, empy CEO's, sack CEO's etc etc.

MUCH has been said of the 5-2 vote, BUT I have been told that for anything to happen on that board you need a 75% majority.

Seventy five per cent of seven is actually 5.25 (not possible of course) so you actually need 6 votes out of the 7 for something to happen.

So either owner can in fact veto each other with major decisions.

The 3 other votes could (for example) vote with the Penn's and still be defeated, vice versa they vote with the Delmege's and it's still 5-2.....result ...nada!!!

SO

What needs to happen for peace and harmony is to get some new faces in there, and if a suitable female wants to step up I would be all in favour!!

The most important part of any GM / CEO, is his ability to create awareness for his brand, and to sell product. For the 1st time in ages, our club was moving forward under Grant in this area.

Whether they are male / female is trivial and irrelevant. So, too, the votes and who is on the board.

All that matters is that we get more investors into our very saleable product.

The retreads on the board have gone out of their way to halt that. The Mongs they are !!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8