News: Official View: Video referee dropped

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Mata, it's worse than that. They have basically given him a free one week holiday. Ridiculous.

Why can't they make it 4 weeks, and during that time, he has to referee NSW Cup or something?

I call this The Matt Cecchin moment. Manly seems to have a Matt Cechin moment every year:-

+ Simpkins absolute shocker this year

+ The two metre forward pass last year against The Eels

+ Matt Cecchin the year before against The Titans where the opposition players and coach said he was wrong

+ Year before Clarke sends Beaver to the sin bin for 10 minutes in Nth QLD for saying, "how is that, sir?", but in the same match, Clarke laughed off Thurstin asking him how much Manly had paid him?

All Matt Checchin moments. Either Manly are very, very unlucky, or something very, very fishy is going on.

Ryan, you forget about Bill Harrigan himself missing a ball dropped cold by Gasnier in the Saints game last year.

Matabele said:
Ryan, you forget about Bill Harrigan himself missing a ball dropped cold by Gasnier in the Saints game last year.

Cripes....I did too !!
Another Matt Cecchin moment (or MCM).

The difference with all those examples Ryan, was that the silence from Finch was deafening. Business as usual in his eyes. What sort of message did that send the fans and the morons making the mistakes. At least the idiot responsible this time has been publicly called out as having made a mistake, something I doubt anyone would find a comfortable experience.

I hate it when we get Checcined though.

Billy gave himself a weeks rest after he Checcined Gasniers try last year.

All those Cechin moments drove us mad. I don't watch all the other teams play, but my suspicion is that we are not the only team that gets dudded from time to time. A difference may be that we have had a really competitive team in the last few years, and the howlers have tended to be crucial to the outcome of important matches. Kind of ridiculous though to imply a conspiracy, which is another reason why Ryan is not CEO material, despite his many credible ideas.

It just happens too much to us at crucial times during matches that turn the game to be just mere coincidence. This has got Gallop's inframata all over it.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
All those Cechin moments drove us mad. I don't watch all the other teams play, but my suspicion is that we are not the only team that gets dudded from time to time. A difference may be that we have had a really competitive team in the last few years, and the howlers have tended to be crucial to the outcome of important matches. Kind of ridiculous though to imply a conspiracy, which is another reason why Ryan is not CEO material, despite his many credible ideas.

Mate, I am completely bias. Completely, and proud of it :)

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
The thing that gets me with the video refs is that the onfield refs might ask "can you have a look at the grounding,I'm happy with everything else?"So the on field ref is happy with onside,obstructions,and everything else,but the upstairs "ring" of the circus looks at everything.Almost as if to say the on field refs are incompetent!The video ref should look at what he's asked to,or EVERY video ref call should just be "look at the lot"!

I think they need to adopt some sort of similar format to the 3rd umpire in cricket. The on field ref should have an opinion which is articulated to the video ref and then the video ref needs to come up with enough evidence to overturn that decision. For example they say I think that was, or wasn't, a knock on back there can you give me a reason to change my mind. This blanket checking of the whole pre try movement just invites them to find reasons not to award tries. Generally speaking in most cases the only things that will need to be checked are knock ons, on side from kicks, obstructions, touchline/deadball lines and groundings. The on field ref should state his case and make the video ref change his mind.

The other thing that has been lost in this whole thing is that I thought they instituted a policy of a second person in the video ref box as a fail safe against howlers like the Lyon decision. If that was the case, who was the other moron in the box with Simpkins and why haven't they been outed. More importantly what does that say about the standard of officiating if two of them couldn't determine that the ball went backwards after 10 replays, when it only took one look by every one else.

Bill harrigan this afternoon admited on 2sm talking sport the ref got it wrong add a further 6 points manly win.We should automatically receive the 2 points in my view.

I can't believe that I've been having an argument with a deadset idiot on another forum who thinks that Harrigan was wrong and he is right and that it was a knock on.

I agree with C&C on everything he has written. If it was Finch there would have been justification for the error, not an admission that it happened. We wuz robbed and it happens. I'm mad as hell but if we hadn't played like crap for close to 50 minutes we wouldn't have been in that position. Every game, and I mean every game, is going to have a major error somewhere. That said this one was a howler and 1 week off just isn't the right punishment for the crime.

ManlyBacker said:
Every game, and I mean every game, is going to have a major error somewhere.

I can cop errors when they are made in the general run of the game but when the idiot gets to watch the replay 5 or more times and it is clear as day what happened only for them to come back with the wrong decision. That is bloody frustrating and shows gross incompetence. There is no excuse for that.

Simpkins is a fool,Harrigon an ego maniac and it was the worst decision in many years.To extrapolate that we would certianly have won the game is also silly.The game travels a different course if we score.To just add 6 points is not a given.We lost the game primarily because we allowed ourselves to get behind 22-4 with lazy football.You dont win many from that situation (at away venues in particular) over the years.Overall the cowboys were a better side on the night IMO.We have a couple of weaknesses that were exposed again and we paid for it.The prop rotation is not good enough to win big games right now.

We lucked in against the sharkies.We lucked out here.Good sides get over it and Im sure we will.

All very well to focus on the things you have direct control over susan. All very well to expect Manly to be perfectly dominant. But it was a contest, and the contest was decided, not by luck, not by merit, but by totally incompetent refereeing, as admitted by Harrigan. All other things being equal, that decision cost Manly the game. Not the only thing, but certainly the decisive turning point at the pivotal time in the game and those missed points ultimately decided the game.

What astounds me is that Harrigan has given the green light to the Slater-type feet first (or knees first) slide in tackles at the head of opponents if the opponent is going for the ball rather than in possession of the ball. That's like saying you can do a Les Boyd-style forearm to the head of an opponent if it helps you win a contest for the ball or causes the opponent to make a mistake. Poor decision, Harrigan. Encourages this tactic for sure.

Garts said:
I can cop errors when they are made in the general run of the game but when the idiot gets to watch the replay 5 or more times and it is clear as day what happened only for them to come back with the wrong decision. That is bloody frustrating and shows gross incompetence. There is no excuse for that.

Too right and that is why I reckon that Simpkins (and all the others that screw up majorly) should be given a copy of the rule book and have to resit and re-pass the referee's exam (at a later date after the initial time out period) before he is allowed to officiate another game. Like somebody else mentioned elsewhere, he should also have to make his comeback through the lower grades. They need to learn that if they screw up (just like anybody else) that there are consequences and not just a slap on the wrist with a feather duster type punishments. Maybe a financial hit as well might make them think twice too.

I think to say it cost us the game is wrong.

What it did was cost us an opportunity to win the game.

Worst case scenario, we don't convert and we are 4 behind. We then have to score again to level it.

Who knows whether we would have scored again had the game pivoted around that try. But with 8 minutes left we certainly would have had ample opportunities.

Really look at it this way guys.

We lost by 2 points, we missed two conversions (or was it more) If we convert those tries we win. So we lost it more than it was taken away from us

Staff online

• Dan
    Kim Jong Dan
  • Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8