News: Orford is leaning towards staying at Brookvale until the end of the 2011 season.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Chip & Chase link said:
Let's spend our money and energy on a halfback who will offer us something going forward, Orford won't. Let some suckers in the ESL pay his superannuation, not us. I really can't see him staying for $200K as season, can you ?

And Ryan I seem to recall you being a massive Monaghan fan, guaranteed us he would play halfback at SOO level if I recall. Same with Dorn, whose departure was lamented by many despite the fact the guy couldn't tackle or break the line and at best had adequate passing and kicking skills. Was going to set the world on fire at Roosters and would come back to haunt us. Thing is that they weren't that good, neither is Orford anymore. I suspect that whoever replaces Orford will be the next big thing and Orford will be consigned to the scrapheap of previous halfbacks who you once loved.

Bottom line is that Orford is consistently inconsistent. On his day he is probably above average in terms of NRL halfback standards, the problem is that his days are few and far between, and many may argue he left those days behind in Melbourne. On average this year he has been below par and I can't see this improving over the next 2 years as he gets older and slower.

Matty, take your Premiership Ring and retire gracefully to England where the wet pitches might help your grubbers pull up before the deadball line.

Michael Monaghan WAS being looked at for State of Origin if you listen to Gould and co. My point was, when Monaghan was 1/2 back, we weren't playing finals football - ok - once - against The Eels - but lets never speak of that again !

Dorn was a decent player. Not great, but decent. He'd probably be as good as Bailey at 5/8 if you ask me. I would have never said Dorn is SOO material.

FFS - The Ox is our captain, Dally-M winner, Grandfinal winner and captain. Read the stats comparing our for and against for the past years he has been with us, compared to not. We are generally (not withstanding this year) one of the best in the comp. Funnily enough, so was Melbourne.

I don't know what you guys expect. Johnathan Thurston to just drop at our feet?

Ox is our current 1/2 back, and may be for the next 3 years. Get used to it. 3 years of threads whingeing about him just aint gonna be cool in anyones books (not directed at specifically you C&C).

I really, REALLY hope we go on a massive run of victories. The strange thing I see with that though, is regardless, Matt Orford apparently won't be playing well in any of those. I mean, he's just the bloke that steers us around the park, right?

Fro link said:
Who's Holdsworth Ryan?

(and no I'm not having a dig, its a serious question)

Wayne "cracker" Holdsworth.  Fast bowler from bankstown who played for NSw and Australia. 

Sorry - I meant Hollingsworth sorry. Gah - it was something like that, but you get my drift ! Hahahaha

hollingsworth was a hooker, back up for randall before dunley came back from parra

Ryan, if you were to look at the other 16 players in those teams for all the others you would be lucky to find more than 2 that would outplace the players orford had around him and i belive that is showing this year, gifty is not creating on the right, brett is not there to make everything happen and like last year we have a 5/8 who needs to adapt big time to orfords different approach, a common theme here.

I for one would not see 2 years as a bad deal, as long as its below 300K however there is a risk that his groin gives up permanently. 3 years would be too long for our juniors.

Ryan, who are you to tell me I can't whinge about Orford this year, next year, the year after and the year after that.  Fascist.  And Benito, to be perfectly honest Orford is not steering us around the park at the moment, Lyon is.   

I can't see Orford accepting anything less than $350k

If that were the case he'd save $150k which is what, a winger?  And only if Williams doesn't cash in on the hubbub about being an Aus rep player etc

with the possibillity of the sharks not surviving beyond this season, a new player for orford could emerge. If the bears gain admission in cronullas place they would love nothing more than to bring a local in at halfback. And orford has always liked the idea of that happening

DSM5 link said:
Ryan, who are you to tell me I can't whinge about Orford this year, next year, the year after and the year after that.  Fascist.  And Benito, to be perfectly honest Orford is not steering us around the park at the moment, Lyon is.   

Gotta pull you up there.

Orford is definately the one steering us around. Lyon wouldn't be able to steer anything around but his winger out in the centres. I recently went to the Broncos V Manly game and all you could hear out there was orford screaming orders.

I'm no orford fan myself but honestly their isn't much else out there in the way of halfbacks.... I hear thurston won't be at the cowboys after next year.... He's looking for a big deal to finish his career. He'll be about 28/29 by then and still have some good years in him. I think we hold on to/put up with orford til a young bloke steps up. Orford has some ability... he put a nice ball on for rodney's try last sunday. Hopefully he can find a little more consistency with his kicking game.

Nutz, OK, one more year, but please, not three.  And this year bring on a young bloke from within our ranks.  Now I am sounding like a broken record, CD or whatever music's put on these days.  Sounds like you like Thurston for us, yes?  Can't see it happening, and I'd really like someone young and eager.

just to put it out there but lets say hypothetically that the Sharks do fold (which is a possibility) & then lets say the Bears go to the CC (which is also a possibility).

Well all those Orford haters would be happy to know that Orford in fact has a get out clause if there is ever a CC team, so who knows in a couple of years he might be playing against us if the cards fall that way.

DSM, it's the old story that happened wih Andrew Johns... Would you take Johns if he was offered?? Of course you would... same goes with Thurston.

He's the best 7 going around in the comp... you'd be mad to knock him back... with our roster and thurston in the comp we'd be near unstoppable IMO. But, I agree... thurston will be asking too much and we have a TEAM we are not one of those teams that would pick up a thurston and build a team around him... we don't build a team around anyone.. we build a team! That's what makes manly so great... no real superstars just a great team.

Keep orford til Foran,  Cherry Evans, Hodkinson are ready to step up.

Nutz, I'm with you.  However I disagree somewhat on buying a player to build a team around.  I think we did that with Kennedy and now with Lyon.  However, Thurston would be very costly and I really need to be consistent.  A young gun from our own sides needs to be encouraged.   

DSM5 link said:
I'm consistent Ryan, not a broken record.  He's to old to go around again, and again, and again.  Most good players know when to let it go, he obviously doesn't
  Mark this down that once DSM5 said Matt Orford was a "good player".

'Most good players know when to let it go, he obviously doesn't', ipso facto he's not a good player.  Can we let this one go please?

You have grouped him with other good players.  there is no way around this.  No wonder you want it let go.

Are you on the Friday night turps early Matas?  Where have I put this dwarf alongside good players?  The mention of Kennedy and Lyon was in reply to Nutz about building a team.  If Matty can ever build a team, then he can do it with the CCBears, and he'll still be ordinary.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6