News: Points system to combat NRL cap cheating

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
MadMarcus said:
Narly said:
Why can't the NRL allocate a $ value against each player with a salary cap against the clubs. The clubs can pay the player what they like. No need to investigate anything.

It would give the NRL way too much power, and there would be constant arguments that players have been undervalued/overvalued by the NRL. The other big problem is that a substantially overvalued player wouldn't be able to get a gig at any club.

I don't think this is the system our club should be pushing for. With our relationship with the NRL, they would probably value our players at $20m so we had to let them all go!

No the problem is the Broncos would win everything.

At the moment a player costs what he is worth to a club, under this system the Broncos would be able to pick the best players who were undervalued say, and pay them twice as much so they don't even consider other clubs.... dumb idea.

I have thought about this points system idea, and have come to the conclusion that it will not work, it can't work. The NRL would screw it up and use the system to guarantee premierships for the Storm and Brisbane.

My thoughts is that clubs should not be allowed to pay players anything. Nothing. Zip. Nada.

If the NRL grant is going to cover the salary cap, then the Club should have to register its players worth with the NRL, and then the NRL pays them what the club designates. Then any payment from the club directly to the player is illegal. Any left over moneys is simply paid to the club.

Add to this concessions for long service with 1 club, or coming from a clubs local area. Give every SOO and test player 20k more a year, and count it outside the cap.

This way contracts don't need to be public, but they do need to be on the books at NRL HQ, and it would be fairly easy to spot if a player was getting side payments if the club was not meant to have any financial dealing with them at all.

Won't work

Some of the best players (Idris, Choc, Hayne, Lewis and Weyman) Can't even crack the NSW Origin team.

Rusty said:
My thoughts is that clubs should not be allowed to pay players anything. Nothing. Zip. Nada.

If the NRL grant is going to cover the salary cap, then the Club should have to register its players worth with the NRL, and then the NRL pays them what the club designates. Then any payment from the club directly to the player is illegal. Any left over moneys is simply paid to the club.

Add to this concessions for long service with 1 club, or coming from a clubs local area. Give every SOO and test player 20k more a year, and count it outside the cap.

This way contracts don't need to be public, but they do need to be on the books at NRL HQ, and it would be fairly easy to spot if a player was getting side payments if the club was not meant to have any financial dealing with them at all.

I don't see how changing the source of the legitimate payments would make it that much easier to spot illegitimate payments compared to the current position. Such payments are unlikely to be made directly by the Club to the player.

I would also be concerned that this model would make the players employees of the NRL rather than their Clubs and that the NRL rather than the Clubs would have control over the players as a result.

Jatz Crackers said:
Rex said:
Wouldn't be hard to devise a system which prevents large hidden payments outside the cap. If there was the will.

A form of the draft. Player nominates term of desired contract. All teams bid for players and the highest bid wins. All bids made through the central body. The player doesn't have the option to not accept the highest bid, except for some percentage allowances for specific situations (e.g. say 10% allowance if player wants to remain at current club, allowance for very-long serving players).

If that was mandatory you can kiss goodbye to ever seeing a one club player like Beaver again.

Not true. A current club salary cap discount, plus the forcing of all clubs to automatically and genuinely comply to the salary cap through the bidding process, may increase the number of one-club players.

If, on player appeal, the current club had right of last refusal at the going rate (as discounted to them only), would that allay your concerns? So the current club publishes their offers to their current players, other clubs have the opportunity to overbid, and the current club (on player request) has the right to match the bid (after allowing for their discount - say 10% not counted towards the salary cap).

Funny that Murdoch supports the Broncos. Broncos have had plenty of origin stars for years but only now that they got lots of good first grade talent that have not represented do we hear publicly that a points system may be supported.

Get the CEO or their delegate to rank the top 30 players each year from Darren the superstar down to the lowest scoring NRL player. Darren gets 30x16 equals 480 points. The 480th ranked player gets 1 point. Add up points from each club submission, and voila, you have a points system.

The thought of using representative status as the main criteria makes me sick in the stomach.

silvertail said:
Get the CEO or their delegate to rank the top 30 players each year from Darren the superstar down to the lowest scoring NRL player. Darren gets 30x16 equals 480 points. The 480th ranked player gets 1 point. Add up points from each club submission, and voila, you have a points system.

If somebody does do it I pray to God it isn't David Gallop. It should be at least somebody who knows enough about rugby league to know a good player. That would rule out anyone who has been a NSW selector in the past 5 years as well.

But my preference would be that it wasn't done at all. The thought of anyone actually attempting this scares me...

Sorry, Marcus, I meant to say that the CEO of each club gets to rank the top 30 players from each other club. David Gallop or the NRL should collect and publish rankings annually but they should not have a say in where the players ranks.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6