News: Points system to combat NRL cap cheating

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I think in theory a points system is a good idea, but as in the article getting it to work in practice is difficult.

Firstly, how and by who are the points decided, this could become very controversial, and I can guarantee there would be many people arguing that certain players have their points too high or too low.

And there are many, many different ways in which points can be decided / allocated but getting agreement on the best system would be hard.

Finally, how will a points system effect a player and his club over his contract period. For example some club signs a few young players on contracts for 3 years, if they all become superstars and get their points upgraded drastically, then what happens.

Currently clubs can advance plan around keeping within the salary cap and deciding how to spread the money to get a suitable team, but under a points system it would be tricky to advance plan as players points would presumably vary year to year.

So supercoach is such a success they are going to make the whole game work like that?

Let the market decide and just police the salary cap better.

Wouldn't be hard to devise a system which prevents large hidden payments outside the cap. If there was the will.

A form of the draft. Player nominates term of desired contract. All teams bid for players and the highest bid wins. All bids made through the central body. The player doesn't have the option to not accept the highest bid, except for some percentage allowances for specific situations (e.g. say 10% allowance if player wants to remain at current club, allowance for very-long serving players).

Rex said:
Wouldn't be hard to devise a system which prevents large hidden payments outside the cap. If there was the will.

A form of the draft. Player nominates term of desired contract. All teams bid for players and the highest bid wins. All bids made through the central body. The player doesn't have the option to not accept the highest bid, except for some percentage allowances for specific situations (e.g. say 10% allowance if player wants to remain at current club, allowance for very-long serving players).

Don't like the highest bid wins. A player could then be forced to move to a different city or even country, or play under a coach he doesn't like. The current method is pretty good, just needs to be policed better. We already have one of the most even professional sporting competitions in the world so I don't think it needs to much tweaking, let alone a major overhaul like a points system.

I have advocated a points sytem for years.

The "Newcastle Rugby League" has a point and salary cap running in conjunction with each other.

Simply put a team's points cannot exceed a certain level based on representative service and length of time served at a club alonng with an appeals system for players to challenge their points allocation if needed.

Reasonably simple transparent and easy to monitor.

If the NRL would simply do their job this could be done easily and simply.

Rex said:

If that was mandatory you can kiss goodbye to ever seeing a one club player like Beaver again.

Simply adopt the same draft system as the AFL.

It has worked for them for so long so why not try it?

If you cheat and get caught in a draft system it takes years to recover.

Not like what's happened to the Storm at the moment.

Why on earth would people want what the AFL have with their draft? Do you really believe the AFL is a more even competition than the NRL?

Being a supporter of a club who aren't doing well and being happy you are losing because you get a good draft pick? Then having to wait down the bottom for 5 years so you can get enough good players to have maybe a premiership window of 3 years before you have have to rebuild your list again?

The AFL need a draft because clubs don't have juniors and it funnels kids into clubs. Your also delusional if you think having a draft stops salary cap cheating.

I think the main area for improvement is that the system should encourage players to stay with their present club. Movement between clubs should be discouraged and the incumbent club should have an advantage in negotiations. I know there are concessions for long serving players etc, but I would like to see this broadened. For example, if a player resigns with his current club perhaps 5% or so of their new deal doesn't count towards the salary cap. The percentage could even be indexed against years of service. I don't think the concession should be so huge so as to discourage any movement of players between clubs, but I think a small concession is appropriate and may make the difference in some cases.

Fans want to see one club players and this proposal would also encourage clubs to spend more money on junior development.

How good is it to see a bunch of young players coming through the ranks herre at the moment, and how good would it be to see most of them stay for many years?

MadMarcus said:
I think the main area for improvement is that the system should encourage players to stay with their present club. Movement between clubs should be discouraged and the incumbent club should have an advantage in negotiations. I know there are concessions for long serving players etc, but I would like to see this broadened. For example, if a player resigns with his current club perhaps 5% or so of their new deal doesn't count towards the salary cap. The percentage could even be indexed against years of service. I don't think the concession should be so huge so as to discourage any movement of players between clubs, but I think a small concession is appropriate and may make the difference in some cases.

Fans want to see one club players and this proposal would also encourage clubs to spend more money on junior development.

How good is it to see a bunch of young players coming through the ranks herre at the moment, and how good would it be to see most of them stay for many years?

And the dumb ideas stop dead with sense,i like this post and believe it should be implemented

Why can't the NRL allocate a $ value against each player with a salary cap against the clubs. The clubs can pay the player what they like. No need to investigate anything.

Don't like the draft system. Anyway they tried in once before and Tezza challenged it and won, so the whole thing was thrown out. It only works in the AFL because the players association endorse it and all the players agree to the restriction of trade it effectively places on them.

I think that the salary cap just needs better concessions for long service at one club and also some sort of concession for long term injuries. However I would hate to see the NRL a total free market though, like the MBL, where players are traded in at post season once a side is out of finals contention. That sort of cheapens the whole process IMO

Chip and Chase said:
Don't like the draft system. Anyway they tried in once before and Tezza challenged it and won, so the whole thing was thrown out. It only works in the AFL because the players association endorse it and all the players agree to the restriction of trade it effectively places on them.

I think that the salary cap just needs better concessions for long service at one club and also some sort of concession for long term injuries. However I would hate to see the NRL a total free market though, like the MBL, where players are traded in at post season once a side is out of finals contention. That sort of cheapens the whole process IMO

Under their next agreement the AFL players are pushing for a level of free agency as well.

Narly said:
Why can't the NRL allocate a $ value against each player with a salary cap against the clubs. The clubs can pay the player what they like. No need to investigate anything.

It would give the NRL way too much power, and there would be constant arguments that players have been undervalued/overvalued by the NRL. The other big problem is that a substantially overvalued player wouldn't be able to get a gig at any club.

I don't think this is the system our club should be pushing for. With our relationship with the NRL, they would probably value our players at $20m so we had to let them all go!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4