News: RFL in talks over Walker's Bradford deal

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
weev link said:
We won the premiership last year and I am hearing lots of whining.

I wouldn't want to play for manly with some of the whinging fans you have to put up with. I just hope the lads don't bother to read this forum.

I support my team but of course we will never know much *better* we may gone if we didn't have Orford ... maybe we would have three in a row, ha ha ha.

Even then someone would still whine.

I suggest to these whiners they find a video of the Northern Eagles inaugural season and watch every game in its entirety... to get some perspective.

Right on

weev link said:
We won the premiership last year and I am hearing lots of whining.

I wouldn't want to play for manly with some of the whinging fans you have to put up with. I just hope the lads don't bother to read this forum.

I support my team but of course we will never know much *better* we may gone if we didn't have Orford ... maybe we would have three in a row, ha ha ha.

Even then someone would still whine.

I suggest to these whiners they find a video of the Northern Eagles inaugural season and watch every game in its entirety... to get some perspective.

I'd suggest to you that Communist China may suit you better

Fro link said:
I'd suggest to you that Communist China may suit you better

Let me remind you of the past, since you seem to be accepting our great leap forward as the norm..

Northern Eagles Club Records

Biggest Win
28 points, 30-2 against Cronulla Sharks at Brookvale Oval on March 18, 2000

Biggest Loss
58 points, 10-68 against New Zealand Warriors at Ericsson Stadium on April 14, 2002

Most Consecutive Wins
2 matches, February 21 - February 26, 2000
(and five other occasions of two in a row)

Most Consecutive Loses
4 matches, March 25 - April 15, 2000
4 matches, July 9 - July 30, 2000
4 matches, August 25, 2001 - March 30, 2002

I suggest you head to re-education camp, practice some self-critism and atone for your less than double-plus-good outlook.

And remember ... Orford is OK (repeat).

Anyone saying Orford isn't a good halfback doesn't know much about Rugby League tbh. Apart from the Shane Perry exception, teams don't win Premierships with kooks in the 7 (Perry had Lockyer anyway).

Laugh the Dally M away all you want, but when was the last time someone won it who was piss poor?

No one is saying he is piss poor, but you'd hardly call the Dally M medal an accurate yardstick of the best player in the competition. If it was then Jarryd Hayne wouldn't have won it this year, he was bloody ordinary at 5/8 at the start of the year and then did nothing in the finals. It just goes to players who happen to string some good performances together in a successful side. Manly were a dominant side in 2008 and Orford made the most of that by playing pretty well.

He didn't poll too well this year, but of course that'll be because the side whose coat tails he rode to get the last one let him down.

I remember how much we wanted Orford back when Robson was playing half and we were struggling big time. He isn't Andrew Johns or Geoff Toovey but he did some very good things. Who will forget the Brett Stewart try to beat the Tigers on the bell from an Orford butterfly kick. Robbo's second try in the GF was from a beautifully weighted kick as well. His hit on Kafusi in the GF was a big moment too, in getting a turnover and setting us up for a second try.

Orford, when good was very, very good. He was inconsistent at times, he seemed to struggle under pressure and he carried a serious injury last season.

Most importantly his style complemented our game last year. Maybe some of our players made him look good, but the last time I checked League was a TEAM game and he was an important part of the team. He wasn't the only star but he did enough to be holding that Trophy on the greatest day in Manly's history. That will do me.

Repeat after me, I'm typing slowly for some of you sycophants.

Value for money = not Orford.

Orford wishes that he was 4 feet taller so that he could join the western sydney AFL team who are throwing around big money for NRL players

Chip & Chase link said:
No one is saying he is piss poor, but you'd hardly call the Dally M medal an accurate yardstick of the best player in the competition. If it was then Jarryd Hayne wouldn't have won it this year, he was bloody ordinary at 5/8 at the start of the year and then did nothing in the finals. It just goes to players who happen to string some good performances together in a successful side. Manly were a dominant side in 2008 and Orford made the most of that by playing pretty well.

He didn't poll too well this year, but of course that'll be because the side whose coat tails he rode to get the last one let him down.

Who would you say played better than Hayne C&C ?

He had a massive year for at least 2 thirds of it. You won't find a player in the comp that was superb every week of the season. Nothing in the finals is also trying to stretch things too far as well, played a big role in the win over the Dragons including an amazing try, and was crucial in the win over the Dogs as well

The coat tails line is pretty average as well tbh, every halfback I have seen with the exception of A Johns weren't playing anywhere near their best behind a pack going ordinary

Fro link said:
Repeat after me, I'm typing slowly for some of you sycophants.

Value for money = not Orford.

We had to pay overs, when you are a team on the rise that happens.  You must also remember he was the only decent half on the open market.  Maybe we could have just thrown Groom into the fray.  

Fro link said:
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=182053.msg246269#msg246269 date=1259036266]
Value for Money = Premiership

By that rationale we would have won this season as well.
[/quote]

Are plenty of ways of looking at it

Basically teams don't win comps without a decent halfback. We paid decent money for 1 and achieved the ultimate goal that was desired when signing him up.

Was Orford the sole reason we won the comp last season ? No
Was Orford the sole reason we went backwards this season ? No
Did signing him play a big piece in solving the premiership jigsaw puzzle ? Some will argue No, but the answer has to be yes, so for me, that is value for money within a squad

I would say Thurston would be getting more than Orford was, and has yet to win a comp so for me we got better value out of Orford

Kiwi Eagle link said:
Who would you say played better than Hayne C&C ?

He had a massive year for at least 2 thirds of it. You won't find a player in the comp that was superb every week of the season. Nothing in the finals is also trying to stretch things too far as well, played a big role in the win over the Dragons including an amazing try, and was crucial in the win over the Dogs as well

The coat tails line is pretty average as well tbh, every halfback I have seen with the exception of A Johns weren't playing anywhere near their best behind a pack going ordinary

I was being facetious with the coat tails comment. I don't understand how people claim when he wins Dally M in 2008 it's because of his individual brilliance and him being the stand out player in our side, yet when he fails to even register in the top 10 of voting in 2009 it's because the rest of the side let him down. Look at Thurston for example, he polls strongly every year regardless of how his team is travelling. Cowboys didn't even make the finals and don't have anywhere near the talent we do.

As for Hayne, he won the medal on the back of a golden run into the finals where every chip bounced his way, every miracle ball found a target. That's sport, and good luck to him, but it was pathetic to read and hear the media lining up to crown him the new world's greatest player and the next immortal on the back of a dozen games. They were falling over themselves to blow sunshine up his nether regions. How did he go in the Grand Final ? pretty bloody ordinary IMO. Did you think he dominated the recent 4 nations competition ? certainly didn't look like the best player in the world to me. Didn't even make the final list for the Golden Boot award. He can play, don't get me wrong, but greatest ever ? let's see.

For the likes of Thurston, it is a bit easier to pick up points in a side like his, because if the Cowboys win, he has usually played the biggest part, so is an automatic 3. Even an average game gets him points on reputation, much like this years GF with Billy winning the Churchill

Orford and every other key Manly player has more competition for points, with the likes of Lyon, Watmough, Both Stewarts etc all battling for the points they become harder to pick up

On Hayne, 4 Nations played out of position without a role where he could roam and find the ball. IMO he was far, far better than Slater all season who made that Golden Boot list

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6