News: Stewart's exhibition gallop fails to impress officials

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
bones said:
Masked Eagle said:
Why is there so much hate towards Gallop and barely any to the DPP? Gallop suspended Brett for four weeks, DPP tried to make a name for themselves by putting him in prison and ruining his life completely yet I never read anything about people saying they should be held accountable for what they did.

I can understand people being upset with Gallop but an apology from him would mean absolutely nothing to me. People are carrying on like getting an apology from Gallop would be like winning the premiership. I personally couldn't care less what he thinks about it. I'm much more worried about young Hoppas contract, DCE goal kicking, the Titans next monday night, etc, etc.

I honestly mean this, but I hope Brett isn't too hung up on it either. I really hope his main motivation playing footy is to have fun with his mates and to hear the cheers of the fans and to win a premiership, because if his main drive is anger and to stick up people who bagged him its only going to eat him up in side and its not a great way to live your life.

The DPP have no interest in the players, thhe were doing a job. Lowlife Gallop , as leader of the NRL, should have supported Brett until the court case was over.

I'm sorry Bones but the DPP should be held to a higher standard than that. The evidence was so poor it should not have even gotten to trial, they wasted god knows how much of our tax paying dollars and in the process gave a good shot at ruining a young mans life. Not to mention trying to purse the case to make a name for them self and you'd have to wonder what other cases they should have been pursuing suffered as a result.

Gallop made a rash and extremely poor decision in an attempt to win some public support for the game that was taking a battering due to poor player behaviour and he got it badly wrong. Both totally wrong but I know which I consider the far worse.

The blame should be on the media. Everyone was too scared to let it drop because the media turned it into a whirlwind headline.

Had they dropped it the media would have had a field day with headlines about how he was let off and duty of care and not following through.

They were to scared. And to be honest once the media got hold of it and all of the harmful articles were published the best thing was for Brett's name to be cleared in the judicial system. Otherwise he would have always been accused of it and being let of because of his profile.

At the very least this way he has been totally cleared and there is no dispute

Daniel said:
The blame should be on the media. Everyone was too scared to let it drop because the media turned it into a whirlwind headline.

Had they dropped it the media would have had a field day with headlines about how he was let off and duty of care and not following through.

They were to scared. And to be honest once the media got hold of it and all of the harmful articles were published the best thing was for Brett's name to be cleared in the judicial system. Otherwise he would have always been accused of it and being let of because of his profile.

At the very least this way he has been totally cleared and there is no dispute

Absolutely. The media have gotten off extremely lightly in all of this. But the DPP isn't supposed to take their cues from unsubstantiated gossip, of course the weight of public opinion should be taken into account but they are paid to judge cases on their merits and unfortunately boosting public profile seems to be a higher priority. They had all the evidence infront of them and it must have looked flimsy yet they still proceeded with the case, why is that and why haven't they been taken to task because of it?

G-land Express said:
The whole system sux. How can the girl & her old man fabricate the whole story and then not be charged or fined?

Because that was never proven and was never on trial

Brissie Kid said:
I'm tipping this giddy up dance will spread once Storm fans get in on it.

Well here's their website:

http://www.melbournestorm.com.au/default.aspx?s=fancomments

someone wanna gently give them the idea? :p

After today's news they'll be hopping mad to do 'the gallop' each time their players score against Canberra this weekend....

brookiegreg said:
Brissie Kid said:
I'm tipping this giddy up dance will spread once Storm fans get in on it.

Well here's their website:

http://www.melbournestorm.com.au/default.aspx?s=fancomments

someone wanna gently give them the idea? :p

After today's news they'll be hopping mad to do 'the gallop' each time their players score against Canberra this weekend....

On Talkinsport 2SM they're talking more about the Brett Stewart "Gallop" and laughing that "wouldn't it be funny if Brett does the 'gallop' every time he scores for the rest of the year"

Hahaha yes wouldn't it?

They just read out an email from a Melbourne Storm fan which said although he hates Manly as a team that he totally supports Manly and Brett Stewart on this issue of bad treatment by Gallop and the NRL....

I have difficulty with the attitude of News Ltd. They still post responses by morons various along the lines that Stewart was guilty and/or drunk. I would really hope that the Club and/or Stewart's legal team go after them again.

Cambo said:
My challenge to stewy is to now have a crack at Rebecca Wilson after his next try. Might be tough to act out what she really is ;)

Nah its not that hard.Just act like a bush pig sniffing arses and squealing loudly.

I agree with Bones, not too much criticism can be put on the DPP for doing their job. It is true that there was political pressure on them, with Brett being so high-profile, added to the perception that league stars get away with too much (eg no Coffs Harbour charges).

The DPP are there to prosecute if there is a reasonable chance a reasonable jury properly instructed might make a finding of guilt. They always had to run it.

On the other hand, as Dan says, the media have a lot to answer to for.

And of course Mr Gallop. He will never apologise, and so this will forever be the biggest blight on an otherwise mediocre career.

Prediction: The giddy-up will spread like wildfire and Gallop will quickly become a laughing stock in the game and will resign within 12 months.

Maybe the Broncos could help out when we play them. If Snake scores he can do a lap on the Bronco.

SER8 is spot on in saying Gallop is a fool to comment on this, except for the unnecessary "to comment on this" part.

But Gallop has opened up the issue again. Good timing to put another spear in his side.

Gallop severely and repeatedly attacked Brett Stewart unfairly for two seasons, and Brett sucked it in and said nothing. That is composure.

There's a mere suggestion of criticism of Gallop in a try celebration, and Gallop is full-bore whingeing to the media within 5 minutes. That is lack of composure.

A leader without composure?

Don't be too had on the DPP. The world is full of people with mental health issues that make all sorts or false claims. Quite often they believe the delusional stories they tell themselves.

These people need all the support we & our health care systems can give them & hopefully with time, care & support they get better. Mr Gallop obviously has some issues & rather than belittle him we should try to understand & help him seek professional support.

:)

Every time Snake scores everbody is going to be doing the Gallop.Ill be Galloping no matter where im watching it.All we need is the sound of Galloping at Brookie and where all set to go.

Jerry1 said:
Don't be too had on the DPP. The world is full of people with mental health issues that make all sorts or false claims. Quite often they believe the delusional stories they tell themselves.

These people need all the support we & our health care systems can give them & hopefully with time, care & support they get better. Mr Gallop obviously has some issues & rather than belittle him we should try to understand & help him seek professional support.

:)

I understand they are trying to do their job but its one of the most important in our society. They need to be held accountable at all times because if they get something wrong they can destory the lives of individuals and their families, as they came very close to doing in this case.

I agree the mental health issue of the girl should have been taken into account, and the DPP failed her as well in this situation. They did her no favours in taking a case to trial that once the evidence came out looked flimsy to say the least. If that was the standard of evidence they require to take all accused people to court then god help the legal system.

Rodo said:
What I don't understand is why Gallop has never sat down with Brett or any of the Manly officials to discuss what happened. I think that's very poor form from a guy who is running our game. And yet somehow he found the time to talk with Carney after what he did.

Mate were Manly.They hate us with everything short of genocide.Gallop knows all about Manly dont you Gallop??? Remember when you were in court during the war and Arko and Quayle were looking at you like they wanted ur guts.Yeah you really love manly dont you Gallop.

Gallop needs to be put on trial for defamation.Simple as that.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2