News: Wembley in Warringah

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The is a Fraggle in Fraggle Rock called Wembley. Maybe he's coming to Brookvale.

Mata, I've always thought the Brookie crowd operates under the "mediocrity will not be tolerated" credo. It's as if they are saying "you perform for us and we'll make a heap of noise".

As with most things our expectations are higher than many other team's supporters so we're not just going to cheer for nothing or to get the players going. That's not always a good thing but it has an element of integrity about it.

manlyborn link said:
[quote author=Dan link=topic=182450.msg251877#msg251877 date=1266276863]
Wheel, tell us more of this Steve the boomerang Thrower....

I always had a crack up watching and cheering on the kids half time games, especially when there was one fat little bopper who ran over every little kid he saw to score a few tries
Steve was a Koori who used to throw his boomerang through or around the goal posts as half entertainment. From memory he used to catch about 9 out of 10, it was a good family atmosphere.
How old must you be wheel, on second thoughts don't answer that.lol
[/quote]

Wheel is so old he can remember when Zorba weighed only 98 kilos and the skull used to come to Brookie oval when saints played and walked around the ground giving nazi salutes to everyone.  

Don't let the Gen-iPod get to you,Wheel.Old age and trechery will always overcome youth and skill! For the record,I'm 40-something,so you young fellas should remember that back in my day....oh,bugger it. Make Brooky like Wembley and put seats on the hill.Old hobby horse of mine,I know,but wadd'ya gonna do? :p

larry tate II link said:
Don't let the Gen-iPod get to you,Wheel.Old age and trechery will always overcome youth and skill! For the record,I'm 40-something,so you young fellas should remember that back in my day....oh,bugger it. Make Brooky like Wembley and put seats on the hill.Old hobby horse of mine,I know,but wadd'ya gonna do? :p

Damn you Larry Tate II, Damn you !!!!!!!!!!!

Leave my hill alone.

manlyborn link said:
Steve was a Koori who used to throw his boomerang through or around the goal posts as half entertainment. From memory he used to catch about 9 out of 10, it was a good family atmosphere.
How old must you be wheel, on second thoughts don't answer that.lol

Steve Dodd is his name. He was a good bloke from what I remember of him. Back in the mid 60's he lived and worked as a ranch hand at Smoky Dawson's Ranch at Ingleside and my sisters and I used to go there quite a lot as we only lived across the road from the entrance to the ranch on Mona Vale Road. He was always good to us and let us around the horses and showed us how to be around them. He still sticks in my mind, not only for the numerous times that he popped up in local movies and TV shows over the following years, but for the time that he found our dog dead on the side of Mona Vale Road one day and picked him up and buried him just outside the ranch gates. My parents also knew him as a friend at the pub at Mona Vale over the years back then and the 70's as well.

Sorry,Duff.Didn't realise that you owned it! Seriously,just imagine if Brooky was revamped to a similar design to the SFS,with a capacity of 20,000 or so.Atmosphere would be great and we would all be comfortable.A pipe dream perhaps,but it could be possible. And Jethro,well done.I'd forgotten that Steve came from Smokeys Dawsons.Is he still alive? (Steve,that is.)

larry tate II link said:
Sorry,Duff.Didn't realise that you owned it! Seriously,just imagine if Brooky was revamped to a similar design to the SFS,with a capacity of 20,000 or so.Atmosphere would be great and we would all be comfortable.A pipe dream perhaps,but it could be possible. And Jethro,well done.I'd forgotten that Steve came from Smokeys Dawsons.Is he still alive? (Steve,that is.)

But you're just wrong Larry.
If people felt the hill to be uncomfortable, they would simply place themselves somewhere seated, which is over 50% of the stadium.

The atmosphere would suck because people sitting in seats sipping lattes don't create atmosphere. Idiots jumping around, beers in hand do create noise & buffoonery.

If you like stands, sit in one.

And we all own the hill, it's a piece of everyone.

Bradza link said:
Mata, I've always thought the Brookie crowd operates under the \"mediocrity will not be tolerated\" credo. It's as if they are saying \"you perform for us and we'll make a heap of noise\".

As with most things our expectations are higher than many other team's supporters so we're not just going to cheer for nothing or to get the players going. That's not always a good thing but it has an element of integrity about it.
  I have no problems with the concept of Manly fans being discerning and hard to please.  Though I have seen it that if they get revved up by loud mouths on the Hill when we're behind they do seem to lift the team (example the first official silvertails get-together in a game where we came from a long way back to beat the Panfers). 

With most rugby league crowds they seem to have an attitude that they have paid their money so they will make whatever noise the ground announcer tells them.  This is especially so with Broncos supporters.  I hope the Reds supporters aren't the same this Friday night.

How the hell did lattes get into this??? One of my points is that the hill has served it time.Keep the hill and Brooky is still a ****house.No improvements and it won't be long before we end up going to Gosford for a home game.

larry tate II link said:
How the hell did lattes get into this??? One of my points is that the hill has served it time.Keep the hill and Brooky is still a S**thouse.No improvements and it won't be long before we end up going to Gosford for a home game.

Goose.

Ask anybody who actually stands on the hill on a regular basis if they'd rather be stuck in a plastic chair in some concrete cavern.
I don't think you'd have much support.

Gosford is a sh1thouse. Uncomfortable, no atmosphere & you get stuck behind the posts. Parra is the same. Not appealing at all.

The big issue Duff is trying to get people to attend that do not regularly at the moment. I like the hill but on a wet arvo give me cover and a seat anytime. A stand with grass in front of it would be ideal for me - but we do have to move into the 21st century. I like the look of the stand the club was passing around a year or so ago.

It's interesting that there's a concerted fan-based push up here for the Qld Reds to leave Suncorp and go back to Ballymore.  The facilities at Ballymore would be worse than Brookvale from a fans' perspective. 

We were at the Reds vs Crusaders game on Friday with a crowd of 17,000 and the atmosphere was pretty poor, despite the Reds' unexpected victory. 

The play the Blues at Ballymore this weekend and I bet it will have similar numbers but will be a cauldron.

Hill all the way for me

I live just down the road from a world class sporting venue, 38,000+ fully seated, and always enjoy my time on the hill a lot more than my usual seat down at AMI Stadium

Duff link said:
[quote author=larry tate II link=topic=182450.msg252300#msg252300 date=1266801309]
How the hell did lattes get into this??? One of my points is that the hill has served it time.Keep the hill and Brooky is still a S**thouse.No improvements and it won't be long before we end up going to Gosford for a home game.

Goose.

Ask anybody who actually stands on the hill on a regular basis if they'd rather be stuck in a plastic chair in some concrete cavern.

Gosford is a sh1thouse. Uncomfortable, no atmosphere & you get stuck behind the posts. Parra is the same. Not appealing at all.
[/quote]I thought you had some intelligence,Duff,but you should write for Sydney Confidential,taking things out of context like that.I never said anything about a "concrete cavern." Just seats on the hill,no grandstand,that's all.And if you think that Gosford is worse than Brooky then don't get into selling real estate.HONK,HONK!!

larry tate II link said:
[quote author=Duff link=topic=182450.msg252308#msg252308 date=1266804599]
[quote author=larry tate II link=topic=182450.msg252300#msg252300 date=1266801309]

Goose.

[/quote]I thought you had some intelligence,Duff,but you should write for Sydney Confidential,taking things out of context like that.I never said anything about a "concrete cavern." Just seats on the hill,no grandstand,that's all.And if you think that Gosford is worse than Brooky then don't get into selling real estate.HONK,HONK!!
[/quote]

I don't quite understand seats on the hill. It's either seats or a hill. Seats = Grandstand.

Real Estate? So a place with history & character is worth less than a modern, soulless box then?
Location, Location, Location !!! One forces the GA people behind the posts, one allows everyone a shot at the half-way line. You tell me where it's more preferable to watch League from.

Try another tact Larry.

Basically I (and most people I watch footy with) can't sit during a game & like to be able to move around a lot. It's more atmospheric, sociable & basically fun to be on a hill.
We have people who don't particularly even like footy that come to games with us because they find the live experience such a hoot. You talk about attracting new people to the game, well, chalk that example up.

larry tate II link said:
Sorry,Duff.Didn't realise that you owned it! Seriously,just imagine if Brooky was revamped to a similar design to the SFS,with a capacity of 20,000 or so.Atmosphere would be great and we would all be comfortable.A pipe dream perhaps,but it could be possible.

To be fair, the best atmosphere i've ever experienced at the SFS is at Sydney FC games, where majority of the supporters stand for the entire game anyway. Chairs don't help to make people more comfortable in this situation (although they do make handy beer holders), which I can attest to, coming home more than a few times with shins that look like they've had divets taken out of them.

I'd like to see Brooky dramatically changed, but the hill has to stay. It's so quintessentially Brookvale that taking it away would be like the ripping the soul out of Brooky. The Fulton/Menzies, Jane Try, Western Concourse etc. all need to be redeveloped & the I think the northern end of the ground could stand to be redeveloped to have a grand stand as well, very rarely see that area packed out even at big games.

Now if you were to suggest a grand stand behind the hill perhaps, or a similar idea, yeah i'd be all for it. Destroying the hill though? You're dreaming. To quote Vid;

Brooky on a good day has a very special feel about it, there are many that have a long history with the place, have sat or stood in the same part of the ground for years and there will be many people who have cut their teeth (and probably various parts of their bodies) sliding (or falling) down the back of the Hill over the years.

As far as i'm concerned, take away the hill & you may as well give Brooky to Clr. Kirsch to build her nature walk, may as well just go to the SFS instead.

With Duff on that one.....

Same reason I enjoy going to Shark Park, can stand on the hill mixing it with the locals.. much more atmosphere.

Parramatta is like walking into an abattoir, a big bogan filled one at that.  

One line from Wolfy says it all, "It's so quintessentially Brookvale".

How can anyone argue with that?

I also like Mcatmos' abattoir comparison.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8