Next Years Backline

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Mataiforever

Bencher
So what do we do? The stock at the moment is:
Tom, Jorge, Harper, Miski, Parker, Garrick, Funa, Suli, Walker, Hopoate (resign?), Cust, Schuster, Metcalf, Cherry-Evans, Croker.

Croker, Miski, Metcalf all off contract? They probably go. I would’ve liked to give Metcalf more of a go... but who knows.

I think theres a few certainties in the 17 from my perspective: Turbo, DCE. Schuster we need to stick with, and then Cust and Suli in some way.

It all depends on what happens with Walker. I would like to keep him considering we probably won’t sign anyone of quality... and he has taken ‘unders’... if he stays, Suli becomes a winger for me. I think a centre competing spot of Funa / Harper is too good.

1 Tom
2 ? - Signing: should be Saab
3 Vacant: Funa/Harper compete. Garrick & Hopoate compete too.
4 Walker (if he stays, if leaves, Suli and Garrick/Hoppa compete for wing).
5 Suli (whole off season to get position ready. His defensive reads in centre are speculative at best - a position that is far harder to master in defense)
6 Schuster
7 DCE
14 Cust

Schuster will go two ways: turn into a Dylan Brown type five eighth (ie a gun) or transition into a backrower. Either way need to keep Cust in the mix whether it is off the bench in a hooker role, at hooker until Nase comes back or playing 15-20 mins five eighth at end of match.

Schuster will go two ways: turn into a Dylan Brown type five eighth (ie a gun)
I think he is a five eighth - don't temember seeing a forward step as well as Josh. Maybe later he can transition into a back rower.

From the current squad, I think our best backline would be

1. Turbo
2. Suli
3. Funa
4. Walker
5. Hoppa (potential only at this stage)
6. Schuster
7. DCE

An imported fast winger would strengthen this backline

Backups Harper, Miski, Garrick, Parker

So what do we do? The stock at the moment is:
Tom, Jorge, Harper, Miski, Parker, Garrick, Funa, Suli, Walker, Hopoate (resign?), Cust, Schuster, Metcalf, Cherry-Evans, Croker.

Croker, Miski, Metcalf all off contract? They probably go. I would’ve liked to give Metcalf more of a go... but who knows.

I think theres a few certainties in the 17 from my perspective: Turbo, DCE. Schuster we need to stick with, and then Cust and Suli in some way.

It all depends on what happens with Walker. I would like to keep him considering we probably won’t sign anyone of quality... and he has taken ‘unders’... if he stays, Suli becomes a winger for me. I think a centre competing spot of Funa / Harper is too good.

1 Tom
2 ? - Signing: should be Saab
3 Vacant: Funa/Harper compete. Garrick & Hopoate compete too.
4 Walker (if he stays, if leaves, Suli and Garrick/Hoppa compete for wing).
5 Suli (whole off season to get position ready. His defensive reads in centre are speculative at best - a position that is far harder to master in defense)
6 Schuster
7 DCE
14 Cust

Schuster will go two ways: turn into a Dylan Brown type five eighth (ie a gun) or transition into a backrower. Either way need to keep Cust in the mix whether it is off the bench in a hooker role, at hooker until Nase comes back or playing 15-20 mins five eighth at end of match.

From what I've seen, Suli should never ever ever be on the wing. Someone with his size and ability to easily shove off defenders, he would be completely wasted on the wing.

For mine, the back line is:

1. Tom - our best FB option by far. Moving him to centre would be a mistake.

2. Hoppa/Funa - either one of these two on the wing, but whoever it is needs to be the FB backup option so they have fitness

3. Walker - provides that x-factor and can slot into 6 if needed. Funa to slot straight in if Walker is released.

4. Suli - needs to get more involved, however putting him on the wing is not the answer. If he struggles, Harper to slot straight in as he looks like a right centre.

5. Garrick - has plenty of pace and can be a quality finisher with decent ball which we lack and will be the best goal kicking option in the squad

6. Schuster - first player to take plenty of pressure off DCE since Walker was at 6. Long term option at 6.

7. DCE - has at least another 3 seasons left in him, however club should start looking to the future to see who's our next long term 7 so we're ready when DCE's time is up.

1 - Turbo for 4 or 5 matches per year, Hoppa the rest.
2 - Funa
3 - Walker
4 - Ben Turbo
5 - Suli or Morgan or Hoppa
6 - Schuster
7 - DCE

1.TURBO
2. SULI
3.WALKER
4.HARPER
5.SAAB
6.SHOE
7.DCE

Foz now out of the equation
Garrick swap for Saab
Backups - Parker & Hoppa & Cust & Funa

Suli is not a winger. I think we go after Saab or AJ or develop Hoppa or Funa. We have plenty of centre stocks with Walker, Funa, Suli, Harper, Parker.

Tom
Garrick
Walker
Suli/Harper/Funa
AJ/Saab/Hoppa Jr/Funa
Schuster
DCE

Turbo
Garrick
Walker/Parker
Funa/Suli/Harper
AJ/Hoppa Jr?
Schuster
DCE

For me Wingers are the biggest question mark for next season. Garrick is ok but is a shirt grabber in defence. If we don't sign AJ then we are very skinny, I'm not convinced that Hoppa Jr is first grade standard yet.

Big call dropping Parker and Suli. Suli may play his way back into the starting side but history has shown that his injury is hard for athletes to recover from and gain back athletic performance. We know Suli is not the most fleet footed, disciplined guy so I have large concerns for him next season. Parker is solid even though he had a terrible game last night, he isnt going to let you down much but lacks the strikepower to do much on his own. Having someone like Walker and Funa in the centres means defenses will be more on their toes and provide more space for the halves to operate with.

The only thing I'm certain on is the 1, 6 & 7. All other positions are up for grabs and will come down to form.

Suli would be a good wide running second rower.
Yeah I'd bring him off the bench in a similar role to Jetski. He can cover the backs in case of injury but also make an impact going forward. I think it will be the best position for him next season with his agility likely to take a hit.

Suli is not a winger. I think we go after Saab or AJ or develop Hoppa or Funa. We have plenty of centre stocks with Walker, Funa, Suli, Harper, Parker.

Tom
Garrick
Walker
Suli/Harper/Funa
AJ/Saab/Hoppa Jr/Funa
Schuster
DCE
I would argue Funa isn’t either. Looked great at centre, solid at fullback and pretty poor at wing. Suli needs to get up off his arse and provide... if we keep walker, i think suli should be considered as wing over funa.

why has everyone gone off cust? He has been great and created a try or so most games he’s played. Past few weeks he’s been playing injured.

Cust has to be in 17

Turbo
Garrick
Walker/Parker
Funa/Suli/Harper
AJ/Hoppa Jr?
Schuster
DCE

For me Wingers are the biggest question mark for next season. Garrick is ok but is a shirt grabber in defence. If we don't sign AJ then we are very skinny, I'm not convinced that Hoppa Jr is first grade standard yet.

Big call dropping Parker and Suli. Suli may play his way back into the starting side but history has shown that his injury is hard for athletes to recover from and gain back athletic performance. We know Suli is not the most fleet footed, disciplined guy so I have large concerns for him next season. Parker is solid even though he had a terrible game last night, he isnt going to let you down much but lacks the strikepower to do much on his own. Having someone like Walker and Funa in the centres means defenses will be more on their toes and provide more space for the halves to operate with.

The only thing I'm certain on is the 1, 6 & 7. All other positions are up for grabs and will come down to form.
Problem with AJ is he is a similar player to garrick, hes a small body, and still poor at defense. Just more experienced and versatile.

Saab is who we need to bring in. We have no big bodies bar suli, time to get one.

I would argue Funa isn’t either. Looked great at centre, solid at fullback and pretty poor at wing. Suli needs to get up off his arse and provide... if we keep walker, i think suli should be considered as wing over funa.

why has everyone gone off cust? He has been great and created a try or so most games he’s played. Past few weeks he’s been playing injured.

Cust has to be in 17
Cust can take Croker's role as backup 9 and cover for halves.

Problem with AJ is he is a similar player to garrick, hes a small body, and still poor at defense. Just more experienced and versatile.

Saab is who we need to bring in. We have no big bodies bar suli, time to get one.
I have a feeling Des will groom Funa as a winger for next year as he will want someone strong to get our sets going.

Oddly enough Funa is listed at 93kg and Parker at 100kg but you'd assume those numbers would be the other way around.

I think we must consider bench first.
2 props, hooker/half and a large back or a fast backrower.

The backrower / back must be able to cover centre or wing at a push and big enoigh to hold there own in the second row if needed.

Suli could do that role maybe a good role for Schuster if Des is still going to go with Walks at 5/8

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8