Nines an Injury Fest

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Mals said:
For a tournament like this 2 days is probably too short. Especially for teams that reach the finals.

Hope Wolfie is ok, the poor fella needs a change in luck!

From NRL website:

"Manly winger David Williams is facing the prospect of missing much of the 2014 Telstra Premiership as he awaits the results from scans on a knee injury and David Stagg had to be taken up the tunnel in a wheelchair after suffering a knee injury in the Broncos' win over the Eels but it is believed to be a medial ligament and not the dreaded ACL.":(

Eagle Rock said:
Ralphie said:
The players bodies are cooling down and heating up multiple times a day. It's a killer. That injury list is just not normal. If we had a toll like that every round of the NRL season we would have no players left for the finals.

This is NOT worth it to promote the game.

I think your on the money Ralphie ! Maybe they could change players at half time rather than switching on and off players during the game, it is a killer when the body cools down and then your back out running at full speed again not good for Muscles and Ligaments, maybe this way has Contributed with the Big Injury Toll.

I don't think it's the interchange that's the issue, players are interchanged in NRL without these problems. I think it's the cooling down then warming back up between games that's the problem.

Two games per day is probably enough. The finalists played 4 yesterday. If it get's expanded, maybe have groups of 5, with two games each on Friday and Saturday, then the finals on Sunday.

It was clear a lot of teams didn't know how to approach the tournament tactically, and perhaps this was also the case from a medical and recovery perspective. I would expect an improvement from clubs in both areas next year.

tookey said:
Disco said:
Injuries will happen, its worth it to promote the game

The tune might have been different if it was DCE who suffered an ACL injury.

Not really, DCE could have done and ACL in the trial against the sharks, he could have done one on the Kangaroo tour, he could do one next week against parra (touch wood)

Should we not play trials or rep footy.

Its a good concept and whilst the appetite is there for it and it promotes the game then i support it.

That said i agree with the the squad Manly picked, sprinkling of top players (as contractually obliged) then some 9s suited fringe players and some exciting youngsters, plus of course a marketable retiree!

Sharks should be looking at peachey, titans rogers, panthers Campbell, Broncos Lockyer, Knights Johns (doubt those last two)

Related article:

Griffin pleads for fewer Nines games

By Tony Webeck
NRL.com
7:50pm Sun 16th February, 2014

Broncos coach Anthony Griffin has called for a review of the number of games played throughout the Dick Smith NRL Auckland Nines as a host of teams come to grips with serious injuries to key players.

Click here to read the full article at NRL.com

Disco said:
tookey said:
Disco said:
Injuries will happen, its worth it to promote the game

The tune might have been different if it was DCE who suffered an ACL injury.

Not really, DCE could have done and ACL in the trial against the sharks, he could have done one on the Kangaroo tour, he could do one next week against parra (touch wood)

Should we not play trials or rep footy.

Its a good concept and whilst the appetite is there for it and it promotes the game then i support it.

That said i agree with the the squad Manly picked, sprinkling of top players (as contractually obliged) then some 9s suited fringe players and some exciting youngsters, plus of course a marketable retiree!

Sharks should be looking at peachey, titans rogers, panthers Campbell, Broncos Lockyer, Knights Johns (doubt those last two)

Suer players can get injured in any game but they train for an eighty minute game not to play 18 minutes then cool down and stiffen up and play another 18 minutes of fast paced football.

The NRL needs to allow clubs to select whichever players they want to

Well it looks like there might be a chance of more regular first graders getting injured next year if what is being reported at NRL.com. They are saying that "Tournament organisers might even force clubs to bring more of their stars - this year each club was required to bring one of its top five salary cap players, next year that could be upgraded to two or three as the NRL looks to grow the tournament."

Related article:

NRL superstars set to play 2015 Nines

By James MacSmith
AAP
9:16am Mon 17th February, 2014

Rugby league's biggest names, including Greg Inglis, are set to commit to next year's NRL Nines after the stunning success of the inaugural event.

Click here to read the full article at NRL.com

Injuries happen no matter what, but it clearly needs a bit of tweaking. You can't put the whole competition down just because of that.

maybe it should be on earlier. That way it gives them a few more weeks/months to recover. If they are out for 6 weeks.. they may make round 1.

I heard the cricket world cup or something or other is on in February so it may have to be in January next year.

Manly To Win! said:
Injuries happen no matter what, but it clearly needs a bit of tweaking. You can't put the whole competition down just because of that.

The only competition that matters is the NRL Premiership.

I wouldn't swap 20 Nines trophies for just one Premiership. I would be happy as a pig in mud for Qld to win the next 20 SOO series as long as Manly won at least five of the next 15 Premierships.

Sure injuries happen and can and do happen in trials, but no event has ever produced the carnage of this tournament. Would you feel the same if it had been DCE with a season ending injury?

Ralphie said:
Manly To Win! said:

The only competition that matters is the NRL Premiership.

I wouldn't swap 20 Nines trophies for just one Premiership. I would be happy as a pig in mud for Qld to win the next 20 SOO series as long as Manly won at least five of the next 15 Premierships.

Sure injuries happen and can and do happen in trials, but no event has ever produced the carnage of this tournament. Would you feel the same if it had been DCE with a season ending injury?

Wouldn't change my mind at all if DCE got injured running up a sandhill pre season, or on the field in a training session, or in a trial match or at the 9s

Players can get injured anytime, and as for the amount from this tournament, put together a list from all the trials played and it will be a fairly hefty list as well

To me the NRL seem to have forgotten their core business, namely the NRL Premiership.

All they seem to focus on is SOO, All Stars and now the Nines. The income to the game generated by the Premiership proper is what drives the business and yet it is being neglected with poor referees, poor scheduling and a salary cap that simply isn't working.

I have seen many businesses falter because they had neglected their core business to chase other opportunities. This feels like it's going the same way.

Yes and no Ralphie. Sometimes you have to diversify in order not to get left behind. The NRL needs to take precautions not to hurt the core business but what we are talking about are minor deviations to the core which I believe can enhance the product as long as it is managed properly. Just my thoughts but I do see your point and they do need to be cautious.

Its a tough call, personally loved the 9's as a spectacle but to start the season the injury chances are heightened with this frantic style of game.
There will always be injuries early after the off season, no doubt more again from the trials this w/end.
The stop start cooling down, then back into the action no doubt is tough on the players & especially around the joints with such high impact to start the year.
Must confess as I watched a disjointed, sluggish Seaeagles getting knocked out of the finals was saying to ppl at the time we should have Lyon , Snake, Foz & Watmough & would win easily...but if we lost 2 of those stars for 6 weeks, would be pretty p***ed off about now.
Theres no easy solution but heres a format.....
Make it a knockout, where teams just play 1 game each on day 1.
Then day 2 its only a case of a top 8, with 7 games in total to decide the champions....
It seems there would be less footy but with unlimited interchange is it possible to stretch the halves from 9 minutes to 12 minutes??
Just a thought but IMO the 9's is a great event.

I don't think the stop/start thing is a massive issue really, all sides were out at least 25mins before there games going through a pretty thorough warmup

The 9s to me is a concept which has legs, and perhaps each of the clubs has learnt a little more than they knew before the tournament. I mean from listening to different coaches etc, they didn't know how the game would be played/tactics etc. This may mean the can better manage any injuries that a little bit more 'explosive'. But as for some things, ie Lachlan Coote's ACL, well that could be done anywhere including training.

Whilst I think it's important to focus on the Premiership, I don't believe in wrapping players in cotton wool.

I'm sorry, but I find that very shortsighted. Rugby League is NOT just about the NRL. Just focusing on the NRL is detrimental and doesn't give the sport a chance to grow, which is the only way it will survive. Just my opinion though.

Newcastle playmaker Jarrod Mullen is likely to sidelined for up to four months after sustaining a hamstring injury at the weekend's NRL Nines in Auckland.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-19/mullen-out-for-four-months-with-torn-hamstring/5269388

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6