Non-Manly Games [Round 2, 2016]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Refs were good last night I thought. Ill discipline from the Cows.
Unbiased perspective on the Eels is that their defence has improved. Their forwards ran hard. Jennings has received so little ball yet it is incredible. Gutho is proving why he fell back in the pecking order, and Foz looked rusty in all facets except defence.

That is a summary of a pretty entertaining game I thought!

Sorry MWSE but Horsehead was far from good last night.

I almost fell off my chair laughing when he told Thurston that he was being consistent.

No argument about Gutho. He needs to work on his positioning as a winger.

Last edited:
MEMO

Yes the bad news is the Eels won.

There's far more good news than bad.

1. Firstly, You've got lol@referees & lolnot@NRLfix to keep the logs burning on the lol@parra mantra.

Which fortunately, also means at no point is there any genuine mandate to give much credit whatsoever (except token) to the Eels for showing backbone, attitude & determination, 2 weeks in a row & not waning in the 2nd half being the reason for any success.

2. Secondly, It also sets up a great platform, for the future. A win-win.

When the Eels lose - You can say, the Eels don't really have backbone, same story all over & the refs didnt help them, which also valides current opinion, as icing on the cake.

When the Eels win -
it was a ref &/or NRL fix.

3. Thirdly, the fringe benefit, here, in particular, re the lol@referees & lolnot@NRLfix business, is it validates & inspires the famous Eagles seige mentality in case Manly's season goes pear shaped.

It's a brillant & safe strategy. Well done ;)
Hey Electric, just need to let you know this is a Manly forum not Eels one, sorry! I know with some local Manly juniors and has been's in your team you must feel a little maroon and white sometimes I actually enjoy some of your posts but hell mate I do not give a flying poop about Parramatta and do not want read about them on this forum. Only a little LOL every now and again. So I am now selecting the ignore option on your profile. Honestly I think your beloved Eels have some potential as much as I hate to admit however I do not think you have the right coach. Dalai can certainly get a team up for a game or two and can bring out the intensity in a team.The problem is it is not sustainable!!. After another few rounds and some injuries the eels will be back where they were last year( Just out of the top 8)
Farewell Electric I suspect we will cross paths again when you reincarnate into your next Silvertails profile.

Hi @Mark from Brisbane , I enjoyed reading this thread. Entertaining, Witty, sarcastic & made me laugh.

However, I'll agree to disagree with most of the sentiments here that we won because of the ref or fixing. I don't think so.

We won because of the Eels attitude, built primarily on great defence, that was determined & desparate enough to win & also better composure. Didn't see the ref make any tackles.

Sure the Eels had the rub of the green penalty wise, but possession ended up only 51-49% in the Eels favour. Not a huge advantage, partly because the Eels made plenty of errors themselves at very inopportune times.

Sure, the penalties, helped with possession but the Eels attack didn't have the fluency to take full advantage of the penalties (9-4) & made plenty of errors themselves to ensure they didnt capitalize on the advantage.

Our attack was average, at best. Semi & Jennings had very limited opportunities. The Cowboys attack was far more fluent than ours, especially in the second half, when the Cowboys refused to surrender even until the dying seconds, throwing whatever they could at the Eels desparate defence.

Even accounting for the Cowboys large error rate (15-11), which in part was caused by the pressure the Eels defence asserted.

If you look at replays of the Eels tries, it was attitude again that lead the way. Peats determined run out of dummy half to burrow his way under a mountains of defenders. Edwards & Taka's determined bulldozing runs. It wasn't due to fluent well constructed movements. It was due to attitude & determination.

It should be noted that the final penalty the ref gave the cowboys in the last 5 minutes to win.

It helped piggy back them up towards the Eels line & they took advantage to score & even an opportunity to miraculously win the game in the dying minute.

Didn't notice anyone blowing up about that , did you ?

It's too early to say whether the Eels have turned the corner, permanently, but the signs are positive.

So we'll agree to disagree, but it's all good I've got no issues with anyone's differing opinion.

I agree that the eels had a good attitude last night. But in a game where the result was determined by two penalty goals - dubious ones at that, it makes for interesting thinking. Don't get me wrong though, I'd celebrate and probably have a list of extremely valid reasons if Manly had won in that manner.

I put out a thread in the off season questioning whether the eels were the Nrls next fairytale premiers. This was after their favourable draw came out. There's plenty of reasons to support this theory. What team that finishes 10th gets so many televised matches the next year? -donkeys not included.

The Nrl needs the eels to be successful. The eels have a very large Western Sydney supporter base but the code is in serious competition with the Wanderers and the Giants. It's been a long time since a Western Sydney team won the comp. The Nrl supports the eels with stadium funding where teams like Manly, tigers, panthers get blot.

Why have they been allowed to get away with cap cheating and continue to buy and field big money players?

As for last night the late penalty to the cowboys was with 3 minutes to go, not five. It was also penalty number 4 for the entire match unlike your blokes who had a feast of them. It would have taken more than a miracle to score twice and kick two goals within that time.

At least Semi's got a career in acting after footy. Poor little fella must have been seriously hurt on both those occasions. I think he's been hanging out with GI.:p

Party hard Eelectric.:party:

I agree that the eels had a good attitude last night. But in a game where the result was determined by two penalty goals - dubious ones at that, it makes for interesting thinking. Don't get me wrong though, I'd celebrate and probably have a list of extremely valid reasons if Manly had won in that manner.

I put out a thread in the off season questioning whether the eels were the Nrls next fairytale premiers. This was after their favourable draw came out. There's plenty of reasons to support this theory. What team that finishes 10th gets so many televised matches the next year? -donkeys not included.

The Nrl needs the eels to be successful. The eels have a very large Western Sydney supporter base but the code is in serious competition with the Wanderers and the Giants. It's been a long time since a Western Sydney team won the comp. The Nrl supports the eels with stadium funding where teams like Manly, tigers, panthers get blot.

Why have they been allowed to get away with cap cheating and continue to buy and field big money players?

As for last night the late penalty to the cowboys was with 3 minutes to go, not five. It was also penalty number 4 for the entire match unlike your blokes who had a feast of them. It would have taken more than a miracle to score twice and kick two goals within that time.

At least Semi's got a career in acting after footy. Poor little fella must have been seriously hurt on both those occasions. I think he's been hanging out with GI.:p

Party hard Eelectric.:party:

@niccipops appreciate the post.

Lol, I didnt know Semi had it in him. He's probably been skyping with Fui Fui Moi Moi taking tips, lol.

Hey Electric, just need to let you know this is a Manly forum not Eels one, sorry!

Farewell Electric I suspect we will cross paths again when you reincarnate into your next Silvertails profile.

Fairwell to you too, Red Pill. Good luck with the season.

Last edited:
ABC Offsiders program this morning analysing Eels salary cap. Looking at it from outside the NRL circle, they didn't have anything good to say about the Arthur & the Parranormal board.

I don't actually want you to leave. I enjoy the odd non-manly fan showing up here honestly, as long as they.... you know can actually spell. And you seem like a nice enough bloke.

@KeithSheldon , thanks . I do find this community enjoyable , witty & intelligent. Not fully what I was expecting, when I dipped my toes in a few weeks ago.

I've started to realise, though, just got to come on more sporadically , in much smaller doses, to avoid becoming a nuisance as the case with Red Pill & one or two others - as it's a good community here.

Appreciate the intelligent thinkers such as yourself who think beyond the predictable tribal mass herding mindset.

Thankfully, there's an abundance of intelligent thinkers here who are also passionate die hard Manly supporters.

Catalan just on Fox now 2pm v Warrington

Hozza, Gifty, Mase going great. Carney, Taylor, Richards,Sandow, Inu, Gidley and other Oz players on show

Last edited:
Finch and Johns at their best before the game picking St Merge to win.

Couldn't see it happening then and can't see it now.

ABC Offsiders program this morning analysing Eels salary cap. Looking at it from outside the NRL circle, they didn't have anything good to say about the Arthur & the Parranormal board.
John Stanley reckons Arthur has performed well, the board are a local 'cabal' who are wrecking that club. It's looking more and more likely that they will be docked competition points.

Storm Team News - Slater and Welch out Hampton bench Curtis named at FB will play Centre with Munster at FB

I thought Slater had the best off season ever. He's been out longer than Snake @:cool:

Cronulla play better without Gallen hogging the ball.
They are a good side now they addressed their weakness (halves) with some good signings. Great pack, decent backs now with Bird in the centres. They have to take advantage of the 5 minute window of Barba playing well.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8