Northern Eagles

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
That merger was sad. Greatest day was Manly coming back as a stand alone club, and you can thank Ken A. for that.

Having said that, if the NE was all it was going to be, I would have followed them.

We should have defected across to super league as we would have been stand alone & be cashed up.It would eventually gone back to one competition anyway.

I have never been able to work out any justice in what happened...only a sick irony. Through the whole Super League debacle, Manly emerged as the ONLY major club to maintain a stance of 100% loyalty, honesty and integrity. Never once, during the course of this sorry saga, did the Sea Eagles engage in any of the back-stabbing, double dealing or out-and-out treachery that marked the behaviour of so many other clubs. Manly declared from day one that they were staying solid with Arthurson and the ARL, and that was it. We effectively became the rugby league establishment's flagship club during this time, and the fact that we were destroying SL's so-called "best of the best" teams on the field week in, week out during 1995-96 only added to our sense of moral superiority. The Murdoch forces never once managed even to float a credible rumour that our club was wavering, or thinking of negotiating with the other side. And make no mistake, the Super League people definitely wanted Manly in their camp...it would have lent enormous credibility to their Mickey Mouse competition, which otherwise was simply the Brisbane Broncos Show, with possibly just a hint of a challenge from the Bulldogs or Sharks (was there ever really any doubt that the Broncos would win the SL competition in 1997?).

And our reward for this display of unswerving loyalty and unshakable integrity? Within two years of the end of the Super League War and formation of the NRL, we were pushed into a corner in which our only viable chance of long - term survival was a merger with our bitter northside rivals the Bears. Two clubs who had maintained a fierce and ongoing feud for 50+ years suddenly both lost their cherished individual identities, and were handed instead a compromised "joint venture" identity that satisfied no-one.

And after the inevitable demise of this shotgun marriage from hell, WE ended up getting the blame for the Bears' demise from the NRL. Even today, many Norths fans prefer to hold Manly responsible for their club's extinction from the elite competition, rather than look to where the blame REALLY lies (a combination of the North Sydney club's own irresponsible and incompetent financial management, and the NRL's unfair and inconsistent "criteria", which were never applied evenly to all clubs, and were not applied at all to certain other clubs whom News Ltd decided they wanted in their competition come what may).

The Sea Eagles' phoenix-like rise from the ashes of the Super League fiasco to become once again the most consistently successful club in the NRL over the past 10 years has been nothing short of miraculous...a combination of grit, bloody hard work and the superbly generous financial contributions of great benefactors such as Max Delmege and others. Also the never-say-die, unyielding loyalty of this great club's wonderful supporters. I believe we can all feel proud of ourselves to have come through it all, and come out on top despite everything.

But I still can't figure out the justice behind it all... @:(

Last edited:
2002 was when I first really started getting into and understanding the game (I was 12). I remember the happiness when NorthPower was ditched halfway through that season due to the poor crowds. The last half of that season provided many of my strongest early football memories. Standing under the Southern Grandstand in pouring rain and watching Dunley scoring a matchwinning try to beat the Warriors being a particular highlight. Back then I didn't really understand the whole merger issue, I was just happy we had a team that played in my area that i could support.

Completely disconnected with rugby league at the time. I was already peed off with super league and the rift that happened. Was very into soccer at the time, English premier league.

I have noticed lately that even after 15 years, people on this Forum still often refer to the dark chapter of our great club's history that was the ill-fated merger with North Sydney between 1999 and 2001. It is clear that this distasteful experience left a lasting scar on many of us, and a fierce determination that our beloved MANLY-WARRINGAH SEA EAGLES will never do anything so foolish and misguided again.

So I was wondering...what are other Forum members' memories and experiences of the "Northern Eagles" period (see - even now I cannot bring myself to write their name without putting it in inverted commas, so as to make it seem like a "so-called" type of name, and thus illegitimate)? Did any members readily accept the merger, and become "Northern Eagles" fans for that period? Did you ever really consider it "your team"? Or did you, like me, reject the merger and refuse to have anything to do with it...turning your back on the game of rugby league altogether until Manly-Warringah were back in the competition in their own right, playing at Brookvale Oval under their proper name and wearing their proper colours?
Hated every minute of it but when it ended I bought a shipload of northern eagles memorabilia on eBay to remind my kids of the darkest period in MANLY history.

Honestly, it was pretty gut wrenching for me. My missus and I used to go sit on the fence at North Sydney Oval with a blanket over us, and smash a pie.

Through my step brother, our family knew Josh Stuart, The mascot used to work for NAB, and we used have hilarious banter at the ground when he'd brush me at games and grab my missus.

Greg Florimo on his farewell lap, stopped and thanked Jas and I.

We were part of the furniture, and they were a big part of our lives.

I hated seeing Larson, Buetner, Morrison play for The Eels, and the players all dispurse after they collapsed.

But I love the game (especially how it was back then). It was tougher, and very much more tribal and loyal. Players played for the clubs and fans. Today, it's just a business and all about the money.

I was actually in the process of giving away the game, and focusing on Ice Hockey (as the Internet became much more interactive, usable and accessable).

I logged onto a site called One Eyed Eagle, then joined the break away group called Silvertails.

It was there I met legends like @Dan @Wheel @Canteen Worker @PEPSI @LarryTate @Matabele @ManlyBacker @clontaago @byso and everyone else.

We all met at the games, and hung out, shared a beer, and had a great bloody time.....and the rest is history.

That's why I feel mutual respect, friendship is so important. People need to feel like they are part of the community. If it weren't for the fans at that time, I'd probably not be around.

Of coarse it also helped that Manly is and was a dead set beast on the field, and could actually win games in September, which is something i wasn't used to !!!

couldn't support it but after Super League had lost all interest.. in hindsight Manly got itself well out of the situation that it had found itself in. Would like to see Norths, Newtown, Balmain and even Wests come back into the top tier. The franchise teams are meaningless even if they win the comp.

I was a very early Internet forum adopter, the first one run by Bryan Gaensler ( about 96-7 through to about 2002), then Aaron Markies One Eyed Eagle, then the MWSE official site ( closed by Zorba) and finally Silvertails from 2008 on.

Forums were my lifeline during the NE debacle, I think had I not been able to vent at the time that I may have walked away from the game.

One thing I think is sad is the official
Records for the one and only Beaver are muddied by showing him
playing for two clubs, when we all know it was one!!

Honestly, it was pretty gut wrenching for me. My missus and I used to go sit on the fence at North Sydney Oval with a blanket over us, and smash a pie.

Through my step brother, our family knew Josh Stuart, The mascot used to work for NAB, and we used have hilarious banter at the ground when he'd brush me at games and grab my missus.

I hated seeing Larson, Buetner, Morrison play for The Eels, and the players all dispurse after they collapsed.

But I love the game (especially how it was back then). It was tougher, and very much more tribal and loyal. Players played for the clubs and fans. Today, it's just a business and all about the money.

I was actually in the process of giving away the game, and focusing on Ice Hockey (as the Internet became much more interactive, usable and accessable).

I logged onto a site called One Eyed Eagle, then joined the break away group called Silvertails.

It was there I met legends like @Dan @Wheel @Canteen Worker @PEPSI @LarryTate @Matabele @ManlyBacker @clontaago @byso and everyone else.

We all met at the games, and hung out, shared a beer, and had a great bloody time.....and the rest is history.

That's why I feel mutual respect, friendship is so important. People need to feel like they are part of the community. If it weren't for the fans at that time, I'd probably not be around.

Of coarse it also helped that Manly is and was a dead set beast on the field, and could actually win games in September, which is something i wasn't used to !!!
Those days in the 2004ish days at brookie were awesome, I have such fond memories

What was the reasoning behind logging onto the One Eyed Eagle site when you would of hated Manly for so long, did you log in to vent your anger or were you already in the process of changing colours or at least convincing yourself to.

One thing i admire about you Ryan is being able to support a new club that was an arch rival a few years before, no way in hell i could do it----well i think eventually i would of accepted the Northern Eagles but i could never support another standalone club.

If the Northern Eagles had success and time on it's side it would of eventually worked(as much as it is hard to believe from what went on during this period) the new generation coming through over the last 5-7 years would have no attachment connection or loyalty to Manly or Norths and the club potentially had a more wider appeal in the area.

Me personally i never supported the merger but in the back of my mind the bigger picture and worried about the sustainability of a stand alone club always bothered me.

I was on the One Eyed Eagle site and recall all the crap Ryan received and the predictable "oh you would expect that from a Norths supporter" high five replies but you can tell he is a passionate supporter---still have no idea how you could change to support Manly though.

That's a great perspective Ryan. My wife was bears all the way and switched to eels. The Bears should always be remembered

I have noticed lately that even after 15 years, people on this Forum still often refer to the dark chapter of our great club's history that was the ill-fated merger with North Sydney between 1999 and 2001. It is clear that this distasteful experience left a lasting scar on many of us, and a fierce determination that our beloved MANLY-WARRINGAH SEA EAGLES will never do anything so foolish and misguided again.

So I was wondering...what are other Forum members' memories and experiences of the "Northern Eagles" period (see - even now I cannot bring myself to write their name without putting it in inverted commas, so as to make it seem like a "so-called" type of name, and thus illegitimate)? Did any members readily accept the merger, and become "Northern Eagles" fans for that period? Did you ever really consider it "your team"? Or did you, like me, reject the merger and refuse to have anything to do with it...turning your back on the game of rugby league altogether until Manly-Warringah were back in the competition in their own right, playing at Brookvale Oval under their proper name and wearing their proper colours?

Didn't watch a single game on tv. Attended just one game at Brookvale, to send Toovey off in his final game there. That's the extent of my care factor for them.

Completely disconnected with rugby league at the time. I was already peed off with super league and the rift that happened. Was very into soccer at the time, English premier league.
The EPL is no bloody better than Super League, and was formed for exactly the same reason ie. to make more money by flogging Pay TV subscriptions...in this case Sky Sports who, ever since 1992, have acted as though they invented the game and nothing of note ever happened prior to the Premier League. But some of us have longer memories than that. I can well remember the old Football League First Division, and the thrilling physical contests of the 70s and 80s, when footballers played like they really meant it, with none of the petty cheating, diving and gamesmanship that ruins the game today...

Last edited:
What was the reasoning behind logging onto the One Eyed Eagle site when you would of hated Manly for so long, did you log in to vent your anger or were you already in the process of changing colours or at least convincing yourself to.

One thing i admire about you Ryan is being able to support a new club that was an arch rival a few years before, no way in hell i could do it----well i think eventually i would of accepted the Northern Eagles but i could never support another standalone club.

If the Northern Eagles had success and time on it's side it would of eventually worked(as much as it is hard to believe from what went on during this period) the new generation coming through over the last 5-7 years would have no attachment connection or loyalty to Manly or Norths and the club potentially had a more wider appeal in the area.

Me personally i never supported the merger but in the back of my mind the bigger picture and worried about the sustainability of a stand alone club always bothered me.

I was on the One Eyed Eagle site and recall all the crap Ryan received and the predictable "oh you would expect that from a Norths supporter" high five replies but you can tell he is a passionate supporter---still have no idea how you could change to support Manly though.

Honestly mate, it was probably a last ditch effort to feel plugged into the club for me. I never tried to antagonise or piss anyone off.

Despite what people say, and everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but without The Northern Eagles, we wouldnt be who we are today - a heavy weight.

Through resilience and trial comes strength and experience. Very cliche, I know..but our history made us into the powerhouse we are today.

I loved seeing the rebuild. I think The Bears are a part of us still. Sorry, but I do.

Like I said though, what made this club the greatest of all, was the people. All you guys. The club itself from Max, to Grant Mayer, to the players like The Koala having a beer with us. To Ashley Alberts, and The Stewarts spending their Saturday with us playing touch footy and having a BBQ.

That's what inspired me to support this team. That's why I provided that petition to Grant Mayer with 10k signatures for the upgrade of Brooky.

Love and passion for this place.

That's why I'm so stubborn about everyone trying to show mutual respect, rather than threatening to meet them behind the loos at Brooky.

I understand times change, and they are certainly not like they were in 2004..it disappoints me.

The club through Kelly and The Penns have made being a member less personal, and more business like.

Sacking guys like Toovey, the politics, the treatment of Ballin, the lack of communication from top to bottom. Yikes.

I was a very early Internet forum adopter, the first one run by Bryan Gaensler ( about 96-7 through to about 2002), then Aaron Markies One Eyed Eagle, then the MWSE official site ( closed by Zorba) and finally Silvertails from 2008 on.

Forums were my lifeline during the NE debacle, I think had I not been able to vent at the time that I may have walked away from the game.

One thing I think is sad is the official
Records for the one and only Beaver are muddied by showing him
playing for two clubs, when we all know it was one!!
Bryan Gaensler has certainly come a long way since then Mark, Ive just finished reading his book.

Yes, defection to SL would have been better for Manly, financially, certainly in the short term.

And it would have ensured the game was forever after a mere division of News Ltd, with no financial future. The difference in broadcasting deals now that the scourge of News Ltd ownership has been eliminated is absolutely astounding.

I wish it never happened, but the News Ltd push did finally see Ch9 paying a more appropriate amount for League than they had got away with 'til that time. Remember the arrogance of Ch9 turning Sunday arvo footy into a 1hr highlights replay? It is the only positive I can make out of that entire, ugly period.

I wish it never happened, but the News Ltd push did finally see Ch9 paying a more appropriate amount for League than they had got away with 'til that time. Remember the arrogance of Ch9 turning Sunday arvo footy into a 1hr highlights replay? It is the only positive I can make out of that entire, ugly period.

Yes Ch9 did have to pay more in the short term. Piddling (read beyond miniscule) as that increase was compared to the money being sucked out of the game in the RL wars.

Ch9 had signed a long-term rights deal with the ARL before Keating decided to open up Australia to pay TV. Suddenly RL TV rights became worth huge amounts more. News Ltd couldn't wait. And they didn't want to pay Ch9 (or the ARL) for the new market value of the TV rights Ch9 currently controlled. By owning Rugby League, News Ltd would ensure they would win the lucrative Pay TV subscription battle.

Rugby League was just a pawn in News Ltd's strategy, and once advanced to the end of the board, through News Ltd's Rugby League takeover, became the Queen which let them dominate the market. All the talk of a "Super League", expanding the game into Asia, etc, etc were just marketing smokescreens for what was really happening.

Last edited:
Given the rugby league environment at the time, I supported the merger as it looked as it was that or nothing. I still have a Northern Eagles jersey somewhere. I could never feel the passion for them I have for Manly though.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7