Northern Eagles

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Given the rugby league environment at the time, I supported the merger as it looked as it was that or nothing. I still have a Northern Eagles jersey somewhere. I could never feel the passion for them I have for Manly though.
"It was that or nothing". The Northern Eagles amounted to the same as nothing to me. I support Manly, end of. I never have, nor ever could, support any other team. Even during the NEs period, whenever anyone asked me which footy team I supported I would still reply "Manly". And if the person was then foolish enough to say "oh, the Northern Eagles" they would get a very sharp retort: "No, not the bloody Northern Eagles!" No Manly = No Football to me...always has and always will.

Last edited:
I tried, oh how I tried to get into the northern eagles (the bears were my local team but I really did not like them) but it just did not work for me. My only memory from that era was when King dog made that massive break from a kick off

I watched some games on TV but did not get back to brooky until 2004 or so. For me I identify with Manly the club not some merged identity

I treated them as Manly with a new name.Something's better than nothing in my book.
Travelling/alcoholism abroad for 3 years between 98 -2002 helped though..

I must admit I found AFL way more interesting when the Beagles happened.

For me at least the clubs identity is in the jersey.

It wasn't until double hoops returned that I felt like I had my team back in the comp.

I'll put up with the chevron just like I did in 98-99.

But to me it's not Manly if it isnt double hoops.

Was a tough period to be a Manly fan. Hating on the whole merger thing and not wanting anything to do with it while still wanting to be there to support all the players we loved.
I went to games at c coast stadium ( being from the coast) but never accepting them as 'my team'.
The only good thing about that period was oneeyedeagle.com ! Being on TeamOEE was as good as a gig writing for the Sydney Morning Herald back then in my mind :party:

I do recall one good thing. I cleaned up on discount Manly gear up in a Darwin sportstore as they slashed the prices once the JV was announced.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6