NRL take note, Stewart a cautionary tale of an innocent man

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

fLIP

UFO Hunter
Danny Weidler

During the 43-minute media conference where Todd Greenberg and Peter Beattie did a good job of selling their new powers to suspend footballers charged with serious crimes, my mind turned to the alleged victims. But one former footballer’s name also popped into my head.

Brett Stewart. His life was forever changed by a case where he was wrongly accused of a sexual assault.

I vividly remember seeing him break down when I interviewed him about the pain it caused him.

The game had to do something after the alleged incidents involving Jarryd Hayne, Dylan Walker, Ben Barba and Jack de Belin.

There is no easy solution.

But Stewart was on my mind I remembered a good man – Ian Byrne, Stewart’s lawyer – and I thought that his perspective on the NRL’s overhaul would matter.

He wrote me an email.

“Government ministers, police, teachers, judges, health workers etc are sometimes suspended pending resolution of cases before the courts,’’ Byrne wrote.

‘‘Arguably NRL players should be treated differently. Certainly, league players seem to be very frequently found not guilty after facing courts.

‘‘If however a league player is convicted, the league can properly apply its own punishment, but until that time, the presumption of innocence should be upheld.

‘‘Moreover, it can take sometimes two years for a case to be resolved in the District Court. Furthermore, it is simply not just or fair that an innocent sportsman should be deprived of his pursuit.

‘‘[Wednesday] marks the 10th anniversary of the charging of Brett Stewart. His predicament shows how easily a very decent and innocent person can find himself before a court.

‘‘As an alternative to standing down players, perhaps the league could consider banning alcohol advertising? For seemingly, sport advertising increases alcohol sales, which in turn can lead to increased violence against women.

‘‘Alternatively, perhaps the league could donate its income from alcohol advertising to help women’s groups.

This would at once allow innocent players to participate in league, but simultaneously allow the league to continue to demonstrate its undoubted bona fides in attempting to improve player behaviour.”

Good point of view and article
This should never be forgotten and offers some alternate thinking fir the league to consider
I repeat what I said in another post
Greenberg is incompetent in running our game and is beginning to sign his own autographs

And Brett was never the same after it, as a player and as a person.

I remember speaking with his Dad and he lamented the changes in his son ( probably for life he said).

And I get so incredibly angry these days when comments are made in social media still calling him a rapist whose high powered legal team got him off.

He’ll forever be tarnished by this event and I can’t help think that what Greenslime has done is consigned these current guys to the same fate.

Not withstanding all could be as guilty as hell, and if so deserve everything that’s coming BUT until then they are innocent.

Fk off Danny....
Weidler was front and fkn centre, holding hands with Rothfield and Bec Wilson, leading the charge of the media outrage.

Sorry edit to add more....
This fkn grub does not get to now use Brett as yet another way to sell papers, whilst selling himself as some sort of bastion of integrity, after the deplorable way the media acted at the time.

Last edited:
10 years...wow! Seems so much closer than that. I can understand it changing him. It has scarred me and i was only a fan witnessing the injustices from afar.

Greenturd will eventually fall on his sword with these new rules.....so many more charges and incidents will crop up and he'll be putting out spot fires everywhere....all using his new discretionary powers of course.@:rolleyes:

They are a messy organisation the NRL, constantly on the backfoot in regards to just about everything football and footballers.

This is all about bums on seats ( TV seats ) . This constant bemd and sway to someone elses will is exactly why the game needs to move on from greenberg. He has feathered his nest with tv power and only a massive turn off from fans and tv seats will see this clown removed

Its a bit like the 2 major political parties yet here we are.

10 years...wow! Seems so much closer than that. I can understand it changing him. It has scarred me and i was only a fan witnessing the injustices from afar.

Greenturd will eventually fall on his sword with these new rules.....so many more charges and incidents will crop up and he'll be putting out spot fires everywhere....all using his new discretionary powers of course.@:rolleyes:
Yep he wrongly thinks he's the judge and jury for everything, but one day it will come back to bite him...one day.

Fk off Danny....
Weidler was front and fkn centre, holding hands with Rothfield and Bec Wilson, leading the charge of the media outrage.

This fkn grub does not get to now use Brett as yet another way to sell papers, whilst selling himself as some sort of bastion of integrity, after the deplorable way the media acted at the time.

Too right mate elephants never forget im glad someone remembers that little turd had him guilty before hed even been released from the cop station

Snake's lawyer makes some really sensible solutions that the NRL could have adopted.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sp...f-an-innocent-man-lawyer-20190301-p511a7.html

The other comments in that story from Mat Rogers really annoy me. Putting up AFL as being the good guys is so naive. You expect your grandmother to fall for that. That there a rarely any AFL bad boy headlines in NSW/QLD media isn't proof that the AFL players are better behaved than NRL players. The AFL has plenty of bad headlines in Victoria/SA/WA but they don't get reported in NSW/QLD, mainly as no one clicks on those stories as no one cares.

The NRL have created a monster for them selves with this knee jerk putting on a sheriffs badge on and taking on the legal system
There should be a dickhead free policy at NRL head quarters and they should piss of the lot of them and start from scratch

Snake's lawyer makes some really sensible solutions that the NRL could have adopted.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sp...f-an-innocent-man-lawyer-20190301-p511a7.html

The other comments in that story from Mat Rogers really annoy me. Putting up AFL as being the good guys is so naive. You expect your grandmother to fall for that. That there a rarely any AFL bad boy headlines in NSW/QLD media isn't proof that the AFL players are better behaved than NRL players. The AFL has plenty of bad headlines in Victoria/SA/WA but they don't get reported in NSW/QLD, mainly as no one clicks on those stories as no one cares.

Rogers should spend some time in Melbourne or Adelaide or Perth. As someone who lives in Adelaide I can tell you straight there are a number of times that AFL players are in the papers for their off-field activities, good and bad. But there are also plenty who don't make it into the papers for things they do.....

Fk off Danny....

Grub of the highest order... an absolute parasitic germ, and despised by most of the players in the game.

Too right mate elephants never forget im glad someone remembers that little turd had him guilty before hed even been released from the cop station
Grub of the highest order... an absolute parasitic germ, and despised by most of the players in the game.

No doubt Weidler is a grub. But, even though I might be having a bit of a Rashomon moment (or an Alzheimer's moment), I remember his conduct around Brett's case a little differently than the rest of you. In fact, I thought he was one of the only members of the rugby league press who didn't condemn Brett outright and raised questions about the girl's father and his role in events almost immediately. I still give him credit for that.

Rogers should spend some time in Melbourne or Adelaide or Perth. As someone who lives in Adelaide I can tell you straight there are a number of times that AFL players are in the papers for their off-field activities, good and bad. But there are also plenty who don't make it into the papers for things they do.....

Mat Rogers should stick to selling Amway with his wife.

Fk off Danny....

I don't recall that.

Can you prove it? Find some references. I don't think even Weidler would be that brazen. I think Fitzsimons was far and away the worst of the male commentators at the time. He never apologised, along with Spiro Zavos (don't know why he stuck his head in) and some mono-browed c-ckhead from South Australia called Penberthy.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8