NSW govt commits to stadia build

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Like all of the bleeding heart left wingers out there ...
You mean like Alan Jones:
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...nment-law-reform/story-e6frg9df-1227516022966
Lol Ralphie.

Interesting that Tony's No 1 supporter, Alan Jones, is also a "bleeding heart left winger" by your definition, because he totally missed Abbott's rationale too. He is currently the front man promoting Abbott as "divisive", and says “The latest move by the Abbott government puts at risk not just our environment but our very democracy; it is quite simply unbelievable."

Another bloody bleeding heart left winger, daring to challenge your hero, eh Ralphie?

Like all of the bleeding heart left wingers out there you completely missed his point.
Point? The only point of Abbott is to dutifully serve his corporate masters, both local and overseas varieties.

Signed,
Bleeding heart left winger.

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
it's a load of bs.. people just won't go (in numbers) to crappy concrete stadiums. Well I won't. Semi's and finals only. They can create flow charts and studies all they like but most just won't bother.

Iconic suburban grounds could be a thing of the past within 10 years after chief executive Dave Smith hailed the NSW government’s billion-dollar investment in major stadiums as a defining day for the code and a major step towards consolidation of Sydney clubs at three cutting-edge venues.

The NRL has had a longstanding plan to consolidate their clubs at state-of-the-art grounds, maximising their financial return and the experience for the fans at the expense of some of the sport’s suburban venues. The end result is that grounds like Leichhardt Oval and Brookvale Oval could become endangered species.

However, that plan has been held back by the lack of investment in stadiums. That changed yesterday when NSW Premier Mike Baird unveiled his plan for the city’s major venues.

Under the $1.6 billion strategy, $300 million will initially be spent on rebuilding Parramatta Stadium to a 30,000-seat venue with the aim to have the ground completed by 2019.

Once Parramatta Stadium is redeveloped, Allianz Stadium will be knocked down and replaced by a cutting-edge stadium housing up to 55,000 seats.

ANZ Stadium will then become the focus for investment, with funds devoted towards turning the ground into a rectangular venue, with the potential to add a retractable roof.

Smith, who had been campaigning hard to have money invested in stadiums, described yesterday’s announcement as a victory for rugby league and revealed it would lead to consolidation of clubs at major venues over the next decade.

While Smith spoke about the significance of spiritual homes, he indicated they would become houses for high-performance centres rather than games.

“It’s a moment,” Smith said.

“A very big legacy has been created. I think it’s going to be great for the game. World-class rugby league stadiums for our fans. They’re going to have the experience that they deserve.

“The investment is long overdue. This really is a once-in-a-lifetime announcement. I think you can never lose sight of spiritual homes.

“We don’t want to lose sight of that. The stadium policy, the strategy we have worked on with the state government for many months sees the spiritual homes protected.

“So the high-performance centres would stay in the suburban areas, close to the fans and the community. What we will be able to see is consolidation over time — remember this is a 10-year plan — into world-class rugby league stadiums.”

Asked whether he was concerned clubs might fight against plans to move them to major venues, Smith said: “Look, this is a 10-year plan so I think there is a lot of water to go under this bridge.”

Smith said the NRL was yet to finalise what the investment would mean for major events such as State of Origin and the grand final.

It has been suggested the NSW government wanted a long-term commitment from the game regarding the latter.

“World-class rugby league stadiums makes it a fact that we’re going to be putting lots and lots of content into those stadiums,” he said.

“We haven’t had the detailed discussions with the government about what that means yet. We are the biggest content provider and we will continue to be.”

Smith declined to comment on broadcasting negotiations or the backlash from News Corp to being frozen out of talks in the lead-up to the announcement of a $925m deal with the Nine Network.

“I don’t want to talk about the rights deal, It is something that is a work in process and it is commercially sensitive,” Smith said.

“What I would say is we did the biggest free-to-air deal in the history of sport and I suspect that will never be beaten. We’re halfway there and we have always said we are halfway there.

“I have never met a fan that is not happy with the deal.”

Yeah but that's just fans. You can't expect responsible leaders, be they politicians or NRL bureaucrats, to put too much stock in what mere fans think...!

And you can't trust the fans either. Greg Inglis got 7% of the vote for the best player in the NRL.....and 5% thought he was the most overrated lol.

North of the harbour with no real stadium and how many fans will turn up to these new planned stadiums. Having the SCG and Allianz together needed looking at. SCG is not used enough. Two stadiums next to one another.
Fans like their home ground atmosphere. Proven round the world.
Gosford or Allianz Manly?

With the news stadiums to look quite slick, we'd be silly not to play at least 2 games a season at Allianz. WIth the new stadium rebuilds comes plenty of new corporate opportunities, which our club needs more of at games.

The Stadium trust fill the corporates, we don't get control of that and therefore lose that income. This is why they can guarantee 100K for a game as they have deals with their sponsors which require certain number of games for exposure

Where is the NSW State Premier and Abbott and their Promises. Yep they are all talk and no Action. They aren't true Manly Supporters them 2

It has to go this way (unfortunately) League looks a shambles playing out of tin pot ovals in the 21st century. AFL said this ten years ago but the clubs have thrived in money and fans fill out stadiums. Every other major code play out of top stadiums and that is where the money is.
People say no Manly fans will travel but looking at our crowd figures the past few years they ain't going to Brookie anyway. At least stadiums will guarantee money to the club. Brookie loses money every home game. No wonder it is rumoured Penn may sell as our ground and membership[ base are loss making disasters.

I am sure you have read this before but Brookie doesnt post a loss as such.

They post a loss when they only claim walk up gate takings only, none of the membership money or sponsors money is taken into account, however when you add this to the gate tacking there is profit. You will lose a big chunk of this moving games elsewhere so it needs to be offset

I am sure you have read this before but Brookie doesnt post a loss as such.

They post a loss when they only claim walk up gate takings only, none of the membership money or sponsors money is taken into account, however when you add this to the gate tacking there is profit. You will lose a big chunk of this moving games elsewhere so it needs to be offset

I did see last year we lost a million and hearing we will lose more than that this year so not sure where we are making a profit? I believe this included all sponsorships etc, eg the bottom line. No club can sustain 7 figure losses each year. Lucky Penn's have deep pockets as we would be Newtown without them.

I did see last year we lost a million and hearing we will lose more than that this year so not sure where we are making a profit? I believe this included all sponsorships etc, eg the bottom line. No club can sustain 7 figure losses each year. Lucky Penn's have deep pockets as we would be Newtown without them.

You said moving games to top stadiums is where the money is - how is this so then?

@MAL895 you've done a wide series of dummy spits and trolls on everything I've posted recently, including totally benign postings in other threads.

Don't have the guts to post your (presumably different) thoughts in actual words, and are instead trying to hide behind anonymity? Or are you simply a troll?

Guaranteed gates like Gosford and Albury. Take out these gates and we would be 2 million in losses.

Poor logic- you have made the assumption that we would not make any money on playing those 2 games elsewhere. You also still seem to struggle with the fact they can guarantee a gate because they get sponsor money therefore we cannot get sponsorship for those games either. Membership and gate takings would also be added to the money we would get for playing at brookie, the season pass could increase by $30, we have 10K members, that alone is 300K.

Or are you just ignoring things because it doesn't suit your stance as a non brookie "fan"?

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8