Oh dear.....haha!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
How can it be dead when they pack the stadium each game and it rates as high if not higher than the GF?

Team 'songs' in this day and age is a bit strange. They all sound like some AFL dirge, or something left over from the 40s. Going to an Easts game and hearing 'Rooster Man' used to crack me up. Very gay. (not that that's an issue) Just give me Eagle Rock any day as our song.

lsz said:
How can it be dead when they pack the stadium each game and it rates as high if not higher than the GF?

Exactly. Qlders enjoying the wins and NSW fans looking for a win. Imagine next year a series tied 1-1 and the final game in Sydney; that will be the highest rating league game in history.

COMMANDER said:
lsz said:

Exactly. Qlders enjoying the wins and NSW fans looking for a win. Imagine next year a series tied 1-1 and the final game in Sydney; that will be the highest rating league game in history.

An interesting view from Anthony Sharwood.

NSW has the Snowies, Queensland’s got the Reef. We’ve got Byron Bay, they’ve got Noosa. Sydney has the Sydney Opera House, Queensland has, um, the Stockman’s Hall of Fame in Longreach. NSW has the tiny border town of Jennings, pop. 130, Queensland’s got the neighbouring town of Wallangarra, pop. 385.

In the town where Billy Moore grew up, even the bloody railway station is a shade of maroon
Wallangwhere? Wallangarra, thank you very much, the town which is the symbolic home of the one Queensland commodity which NSW can never seem to match. Passion.

Wallangarra is where Qld State of Origin legend Billy Moore grew up. Actually, he was born in Tenterfield NSW, because the base hospital is closer than the one in Stanthorpe, on the Qld side of the border. But as Moore told The Punch this morning, “my Mum assures me I was rushed over the border before the oxygen had time to affect my lungs.”

Moore represented Queensland in 17 Origin matches between 1992 and ’97. Solid but rarely brilliant onfield, he’s best remembered for his impassioned, throaty call of “Queenslander” as he took the field for an Origin game in 1995.

Many people think Moore invented the chant. Not so. It had actually been around for a decade or so, and was – and still is – an onfield rallying call when the Maroons really need to dig deep.

That fateful day in 1995, the entire team was doing the call in the sheds before the game. But for one reason or another, Moore was the only bloke still doing it as he walked through the tunnel. He admits it’s possible he was in a trance. Either way, he’s happy to be remembered for that moment.

Moore played his entire 211 game NRL career in Sydney with the now defunct North Sydney Bears, so he’s seen life on both sides of the border. For him, Queensland’s superior passion is a classic case of big brother/little brother syndrome.

“Things that big brothers get complacent about and take for granted, little brothers don’t,” he explains.

“Everyone talks about how much more a State of Origin victory means to Queenslanders, and [NSW coach] Ricky Stuart is trying to flip it around this year. It’s worked too, which is why the stadium is a sell out tonight.

“But passion is something ingrained in Queenslanders. Each year, we go out there with something to prove, and no amount of words can change that.”

No less a rugby league entity than Wayne Bennett weighed into the passion debate in today’s Daily Telegraph.

“NSW has a passion for it but not the tribalism of Queensland,” he wrote. “It’s the opposite with club football. The fans of clubs down here are more tribal than the fans of Queensland club sides.”

Bennett’s point about tribalism at club level rings true. Go to an NRL game in Sydney, and even though you won’t see the numbers of an AFL match in Melbourne, you will feel genuine love for club and hate for opposition. Some of the feuds date back a century, and you can feel it.

At State of Origin matches in Sydney, the emotion is not quite the same. Queensland are portrayed as the hideously ugly cane toads you’d like to whack back over the border with a seven iron, but in truth, they’re more of an annoyance to most fans, like the mossie you want to flick off your leg.

The Origin hate used to run as strong and deep as the Darling in a good year when Wally Lewis was around, for never did a more loathsome apparition rear its head upon a sporting field. But since Wally retired, Origin for the NSW fan has been a case of “Whatever. I hope we win. The sun’ll still rise tomorrow if we don’t.”

As Billy Moore rightly points out, Ricky Stuart has tried to change that, in cahoots with a bunch of NSW Origin legends who are trying to drag the passion of the 80s heyday into Origin’s fourth decade, and infect the public. Whether that passion takes hold permanently south of the Tweed remains to be seen.

For all this, there is one other reason why Queenslanders have such passion, be it for their sporting teams or their state in general. Victorians have it too, and the clue is in the names.

Both “Victorian” and “Queenslander” are one-word names. They roll off the tongue and make a perfect war cry, as Billy Moore so succinctly displayed in 1995, and Bill Lawry has showed countless times in his cricket commentary.

The term “New South Welshman” is hopelessly cumbersome. It also doesn’t include the female half of the population. It never has been, and never could be, a word for the masses to rally around.

Maybe we should change the name of our state. What part of South Wales did Botany Bay remind that old bastard Captain Cook of anyway?

Kiwi Eagle said:
Has their ever been a bigger load of wank than this "Qld passion" garbage ?

Yes. NZ pride. :p Or the fact that certain wankers, who don't live here or don't have the mental capacity to understand it, ör simply refuse to believe it because they want the majority to back them up to feel loved, think they have the superior intellect and knowledge of the subject to label it a "load of wank".

I don't believe all NZ males root sheep, but hey, I don't live there so, who knows? Maybe it is true.

GO THE BLUES!

mozgrame said:
Kiwi Eagle said:

Yes. NZ pride. :p Or the fact that certain wankers, who don't live here or don't have the mental capacity to understand it, ör simply refuse to believe it because they want the majority to back them up to feel loved, think they have the superior intellect and knowledge of the subject to label it a "load of wank".

I don't believe all NZ males root sheep, but hey, I don't live there so, who knows? Maybe it is true.

GO THE BLUES!

Don't think we pedal the NZ pride thing every 5mins though ;)

Don't really see the point of the live there argument champ, like saying we can't say Mugabe is a bad man coz we don't live in Zimbabwe etc

But If we want to run that line of thought, how can the Queenslanders run that line about having more passion than NSWmen when they aren't NSWmen, how would they know ...

For him, Queensland’s superior passion is a classic case of big brother/little brother syndrome.

I've been telling Qld'ers this for years and they burr up at the notion. I still don't think it relates to the 'passion' argument though. NSW people just appear more confident in their place, whereas the Qld'ers will try and measure themselves against them, generally shouting out passion if they perceive their interest is currently greater than South of the border.

Look at the more 'passionate' AFL supporters out of Sydney at the moment, compared to Brisbane. But that doesn't count up here...[/u]

qld are more robust and vocal in their support but I dont see that as passion. I see them passionate about winning at all costs, I see them passioante about self promotion through other peoples deeds. It somehow makes them feel superior in a way that many will never understand

They say the corner the market on passion when in reality they have only coined the phrase. By somehow calling there little man syndrome passion, they get to avoid the bad sportsmanship tag that their supporters and their team lately display. They have a hugely successful football team but passion as a quality is far more becomming in defeat than victory , something lost on the majority of the state in which I have lived for many years

When NSW were winning 7 years back and qld were saying if NSW keep winning that origin would be dead. Please tell me how that attitude displays passion. That is exactly the opposite

Pat rafter was successful, passionate about his sport and his state and humble. He is sadly alone in a state that has many many sporting stars. I think here in lies some of the answer. Qld are very good sportspeople but are very arrogant . As a result they dont get as much recognition for their on field exploits as they are just unliked. Missing the point entirely they then feel they are being ignored as they are queenslanders, when its just because they are arseholes

jbb/james said:
qld are more robust and vocal in their support but I dont see that as passion. its just because they are arseholes

In case the above post was too long, I've edited it for you all.

:D;):angel:

globaleagle said:
jbb/james said:
qld are more robust and vocal in their support but I dont see that as passion. its just because they are arseholes

Funny
Thanks for the assistance, I do ramble on a bit. something else i picked up living up here as well...............AY.

It's all hypocritical media generated bull****. NZ pride when half their teams are full of Fijians,Samoans,Tongans, born and raised, in league and union. QLD pride when half their teams are full of NSW, Fijian, PNG, NZ ,Tongans ,Samoans,born and raised. NSW now turning the same way same with the Aussie league and union teams. It's trashing cultural divides and tribalism at rep level and sanitising it too much. Nothing will substitiute for the unrivalled tribalism of us (Sea Eagles) against the rest. Yes we may not all live and or were born from the Manly Warringah area but you cannot substitute for that maroon and white blood that courses through your veins. As much as I want the Blues to win it doesn't come anywhere near the Manly Sea Eagles. As for the Kangaroos while ever those tossers Smith and Slater are there I couldn't care less whether we win or lose test matches only if the Roos team has several Manly players in it do I care.

jbb/james said:
globaleagle said:
jbb/james said:

Funny
Thanks for the assistance, I do ramble on a bit. something else i picked up living up here as well...............AY.

Naw, my comment was more a light hearted 'dig' at the qlders more than a reference to the length of your good post!

mickqld said:
It's all hypocritical media generated bull****. As much as I want the Blues to win it doesn't come anywhere near the Manly Sea Eagles.

As for the Kangaroos while ever those tossers Smith and Slater are there I couldn't care less whether we win or lose test matches only if the Roos team has several Manly players in it do I care.

I must admit, I've become a lot more club focused in the last few years but I'll still cheer for aust first.

COMMANDER said:
lsz said:

4 in a row for NSW would have meant the end of it

But its ok for QLD to win 7

Its the single biggest "Who gives a flying ****" waste
of time and unnecessary injuries for clubs,play it at the
end of the season and call it the "QLD Wankfest"

I wont tune in,i think the concept died when QLD had that
whinge those 8 years ago,so NSW let them win to give the
baby its bottle

globaleagle said:
jbb/james said:

Bwilliant. That is the only sentence I saw, but god forbid I upset my Qweeeenslaaaander bwetheren on here. There is a church and service is held at Lang Park or whatever they decide to call anywhere up there these days.

Kiwi Eagle said:
mozgrame said:
Kiwi Eagle said:

GO THE BLUES!

Don't think we pedal the NZ pride thing every 5mins though ;)

Don't really see the point of the live there argument champ, like saying we can't say Mugabe is a bad man coz we don't live in Zimbabwe etc

But If we want to run that line of thought, how can the Queenslanders run that line about having more passion than NSWmen when they aren't NSWmen, how would they know ...
HAHA! True I guess. The thing is, passion is not a unit of measure. It's a feeling. It's a belief in something. How can someone be so pompous or sef righteous to declare something does not exist, or is not true because they don't feel the effect of it, based on the fact that they are not part of it?
The Mugabe bow is an extremely long, long bow to pull don't you think? :)

Have to agree to disagree Shane

I think the ratings and attendance outweigh the result (which is now becoming a compelling narrative....is this the yeay\r? And when we do win one you can bet the series after will be huge)

I'm a Queenslander, and therefore....according to some posters, an arsehole. I'm a Manly supporter and Blues supporter, and therefore...according to some Queenslanders, an arsehole.

Although i am passionate in my support of teams, i am in no way ignorant enough to say that the concept of SOO is dead based on one teams dominance of the series. Do people really believe that fans or players themselves should decide, or be given the chance to decide if such a massive money making event should be axed?? It is one of the biggest draw cards for the game itself!

It amuses me no end to read some of the comments on here from the same posters that screamed Thurston is a crying sook and needs to grow a pair and show some good sportsmanship. Some of the views on here stink to high Heaven of sour grapes! Why can't you almighty NSW supporters man up, like us Qlders and just knuckle down and say righto, next year is another year? Are you guys passionate too perhaps? Get it? I have never met a Qlder that has told me NSW lack passion seriously. They will to get a rise for amusement sake. Maybe you're falling for the media crap that goes into overdrive around SOO.

The perception of arrogance on the side of Qld supporters and the reaction of NSW supporters is a funny thing. If i was to carry on like some of you up here, i would be a never ending source of good humour for the locals. Here is an eye opener for you. The way some of you guys think of Qlders as ignorant, arrogant, redneck, arseholes is mirrored up here. Some Qlders think of you guys as people that love to whinge, whine, whimper, complain, snivel and moan(you can tell where Cook and his pommy mates landed) at every opportunity. A very close reflection of how you guys view players like Thurston yeah? Maybe it's a man in the mirror thing?

I want SOO to live on forever in the hope that the tables will turn, and dominance will again come back to the Blues! The players want it, the majority of fans want it and the game needs it. NSW people are far more passionate about their clubs. Queenslanders are far more passionate about their State side. Now keep in mind....that was a journo's statement.

Where the hell is March?? :)

I hope for a Blue's victory every year. The fact we haven't been good enough is something I can live with until it is on again.

Queenslanders do bring it on themselves, driven by a media up there that is so parochial it is crazy. Went to the Oz NZ Test at Suncorp a few years ago and the headline the next morning was 'Queensland wins Test' because their players did the scoring. Nutter stuff. I would have more respect for the populace if they could see how they are being driven by their Press, but they don't and lap it up and regurgitate it out non-stop. Doubt that will ever change and until it does they will always be idiots without a free thought in their heads.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6