ok - Whats a ball strip ??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Well why does the ref and bunker use the term "loose carry" if it isn't part of the rule interpretation ?? So if our opposition do a hit up and one of our defenders wraps his arm around the ball to prevent an offload and the attacker relaxes his grip so that he can spin the ball on the end of his finger you are Ok if that gets called a strip because we ended up with ball in our hands ??

Trying to interpret any NRL rule in black and white is fraught - look at what a cluster the obstructon rule ended up when they tried to go black and white

But that isn't in the rules. Nothing in the rules says you must be holding the ball in a death grip.

He could be spinning it on his finger like a basketball and if a player takes it from him with another touching him, then it is a strip.

Unless Marty actually knocked the ball on, which he did not, then the rules state it was a strip. There is no room for interpretation there. loose carry and offload are things just added by commentators and not the rulebook. In every way shape and form that was a strip, its not even slightly grey. The only thing that that would change that is if Marty had dropped the ball forward.

Yes a defender can try to hold the ball to prevent and off load but if it goes wrong and they take it from the attackers possession its a strip. If Waqa blake is not there marty holds the ball or offloads it but does not drop it so it can only be seen as a strip and nothing else.

They have opened up a grey area and a can of worms now, watch the raiders claim offload every time now

You're spot on @Dan.
How many times do we hear the vidiots say things like "there was no intent to strip the ball, it was a loose carry...." how the hell would he know what either player was thinking?
Really?
If Blake wasn't trying to strip it and Marty's grip so tenuous then why did it come back toward's Blake? He pulled it back towards himself, he scooped his hand over the top, if he wasn't playing at it he wouldn't have ended up with it.

I can't see any grey there and with Annesley's comments it takes away the very reason we have the bunker - they wanted to make things black and white for all concerned, no interpretation.
There was two in the tackle, one of them had his hand on the ball and came up with it - It's a fKN strip, der!

What frustrates us the most is that in other instances during games there are loose carries or heavy shots and the ball gets dislodged ....penalty.

For the video ref to come up with things like "no intent" it shouldn't come into it, as @madmax posted above from the rulebook, I don't think they could make it any simpler.

Well why does the ref and bunker use the term "loose carry" if it isn't part of the rule interpretation ?? So if our opposition do a hit up and one of our defenders wraps his arm around the ball to prevent an offload and the attacker relaxes his grip so that he can spin the ball on the end of his finger you are Ok if that gets called a strip because we ended up with ball in our hands ??

Trying to interpret any NRL rule in black and white is fraught - look at what a cluster the obstructon rule ended up when they tried to go black and white

Why the ref or bunker use that can only come down to incompetence. He can't rule on whether it was a loose carry or not, that term does no factor anywhere in the laws of the game.

Page 8 of the rule book:
"Stealing the Ball

a. The ball can be stolen from the player in possession at any stage prior to a tackle being complete when there is only one defender effecting the tackle,

b. If there are two or more defender effecting the tackle and the ball is stolen a penalty should be awarded, except if the player in possession is attempting to ground the ball for a try"

It isn't a matter of interpreting their rule as black and white, there rule IS black and white.

As I say, the ref sent it upstairs as a knock on into Waqa Blake.

Do you see a knock on in that play anywhere?

Scott took it upon himself to adjudicate based on his own not on the actual rules.

Why the ref or bunker use that can only come down to incompetence. He can't rule on whether it was a loose carry or not, that term does no factor anywhere in the laws of the game.

Page 8 of the rule book:
"Stealing the Ball

a. The ball can be stolen from the player in possession at any stage prior to a tackle being complete when there is only one defender effecting the tackle,

b. If there are two or more defender effecting the tackle and the ball is stolen a penalty should be awarded, except if the player in possession is attempting to ground the ball for a try"

It isn't a matter of interpreting their rule as black and white, there rule IS black and white.

As I say, the ref sent it upstairs as a knock on into Waqa Blake.

Do you see a knock on in that play anywhere?

Scott took it upon himself to adjudicate based on his own not on the actual rules.
Did a deep dive on the rules myself trying to find any reference to loose carry or intent to strip and came up empty, appears they are made up terms. Gonna have to concede I was wrong on this one.

Did a deep dive on the rules myself trying to find any reference to loose carry or intent to strip and came up empty, appears they are made up terms. Gonna have to concede I was wrong on this one.
exactly. I believe there used to be a rule about attempting to offload but this was removed when the stripping rule came back. "Intent to strip" is such a loose term, if they out that in the rule books it would be an easily arguable case every time you were pinged for stripping. " didn't mean to govner I was intending to do it"

Defenders are coached to go straight for the ball and lock it up these days. That's a fact. You can't start penalising defenders who have their hands on the ball and it suddenly comes free. Why wouldn't you just run into the defence and as soon as a defender wraps the ball up just let it go ?? Claim a strip and get a penalty. That sound ridiculous put that's what is technically correct if you interpret a no stripping rule to the letter.

Didn’t a Parra player run into a Manly defender, drop the ball and get a penalty in the first half?

Didn’t a Parra player run into a Manly defender, drop the ball and get a penalty in the first half?
I think it was against Levi when they were bringing it out from their line. There didn’t seem to be much intent & was late in the tackle count.

This happens a lot, tends to be front on tackles, when they bounce off each other and arms are everywhere the ball comes loose and looks like a strip....with absolutely NO intent but there you go.
They even changed the rule a few years ago that if you were trying to make a tackle just as the ball carrier passes it and you accidently touch the ball you're deemed to have played at it - to take out that grey area - but then the vidiots overthink things and rule something else.

They should have Post It notes or laminated posters next to their screens to remind them - DON'T THINK, KNOW THE RULES!

They should have Post It notes or laminated posters next to their screens to remind them - DON'T THINK, KNOW THE RULES!

It's 22 pages long, indexed and headlines, hitting CTRL+F (cmd+F on Mac) and typing "Steal" would jump you straight there and can be done in approximately 3 seconds, enough time for them to brush up on the rule before adjudicating on it.

The ref should have the right to over-rule the bunker, they should know the rules better and should have said in that case "Did he knock it on or drop the ball?" if the answer came back as "no" then it is a no try

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8