ok - Whats a ball strip ??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Hahaha can already see a few dirty minds with varied definitions, but Im running with a footy game and the defender stealing the ball in a tackle !!
Ok Manly won and I didn't want to get into this based on emotion earlier in the week.
Thing is, kapow ran the ball up and was hit by 2 defenders and done what 90% of forward attempt to do in attacking position, promote the football.
The ball had not left his mits and was still tucked in his possession and if not for Blake's raking action, would have likely hit the turf without an offload as he was pretty much contained....that was until Blake rakes it from him (not intercepts a pass) and sets off downfield, so guilty he actually stops and turns around waiting for the ref to call a penalty !!
But no - Play on....does anyone think this was play on or a straight forward penalty decision...

Definitely a penalty for the strip the ball never left Marty's hand whether he was trying to offload the ball never left his hand if it came loose while trying to offload fair game , the ball was certainly taken out of his hand in the tackle

There has never been a dumber .. more detrimental rule ... than to allow stripping ...

It puts the art and skill of off loading at risk, and makes heros of the grubby ... and victims of the honest .. it deters ball workers running with the ball held out .... or forwards trying to get an arm loose to go around the back of a defender .... (there goes Cliffy and Arty) ...

There is not one piece of good that can come from strips ....

Forget running, stepping, passing, tackling, off-loading, slight of hand, kicking ..... I can see the under 12 training sessions of the future .. the coach spending 20 mins teaching the hold-up/release/strip ....

Piss the rule off completely ...

This is the exact reason the rule was taken out of the game completely because they had made it too grey, they then brought the rule in to be a little more black and white, and now they have just made it completely subjective again. Annesley should have said "the call was wrong, it was a strip by definition of the rules and fortunately it did not cost the team a game, we are retraining our video referee and referees as to the rule"

Instead what he said was closer to "Opening a can of worms and making the jobs of everyone more difficult"

Now everytime it gets stripped the and a team gets penalised for two in the tackle the captain will challenge it and say "He was trying to offload it" and because of this precedent they will have to grant it

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Defenders are coached to go straight for the ball and lock it up these days. That's a fact. You can't start penalising defenders who have their hands on the ball and it suddenly comes free. Why wouldn't you just run into the defence and as soon as a defender wraps the ball up just let it go ?? Claim a strip and get a penalty. That sound ridiculous put that's what is technically correct if you interpret a no stripping rule to the letter.

If you outlaw stripping then that's the end of ball security and it becomes a game of subjective analysis by the ref as to whether the defender dislodged the poorly secured ball or not - knock on or strip ??? let's toss a coin.

And @Woodsie we all pine for the romance of ball playing forwards punching through the line and popping passes. That was the good old days of one on one tackles, hit with the shoulder around the midriff. How successfully do you think Artie would have been in the modern game of gang tackling high to lock up the ball, dance around, drop them on the "held" call and then wrestle. Anyway stripping the ball was allowed back in the day, always has been. But it became a joke once gang tackles became the norm. You can't expect one player to fight off 2 or 3 equally as strong humans if they want to get the ball from them.

I'm obviously in the minority here as I agree with annersley saying the Kapow one was 50-50. I don't think Blake deliberately tried to strip the ball, sure he targeted it, but with Marty's tenuous grip on it the ball ended up in his possession. I can live with the decision as I don't think you can prove intent by Blake to strip and ball security from Taupau was suspect at best

I posted this yesterday......see attachment! According to the rules IT WAS A STRIP!!!

Attachments

• 4B64BBAE-5C13-4A92-AB69-17F4835E0D44.png
    4B64BBAE-5C13-4A92-AB69-17F4835E0D44.png
    59.2 KB · Views: 21
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Defenders are coached to go straight for the ball and lock it up these days. That's a fact. You can't start penalising defenders who have their hands on the ball and it suddenly comes free. Why wouldn't you just run into the defence and as soon as a defender wraps the ball up just let it go ?? Claim a strip and get a penalty. That sound ridiculous put that's what is technically correct if you interpret a no stripping rule to the letter.

If you outlaw stripping then that's the end of ball security and it becomes a game of subjective analysis by the ref as to whether the defender dislodged the poorly secured ball or not - knock on or strip ??? let's toss a coin.

And @Woodsie we all pine for the romance of ball playing forwards punching through the line and popping passes. That was the good old days of one on one tackles, hit with the shoulder around the midriff. How successfully do you think Artie would have been in the modern game of gang tackling high to lock up the ball, dance around, drop them on the "held" call and then wrestle. Anyway stripping the ball was allowed back in the day, always has been. But it became a joke once gang tackles became the norm. You can't expect one player to fight off 2 or 3 equally as strong humans if they want to get the ball from them.

I'm obviously in the minority here as I agree with annersley saying the Kapow one was 50-50. I don't think Blake deliberately tried to strip the ball, sure he targeted it, but with Marty's tenuous grip on it the ball ended up in his possession. I can live with the decision as I don't think you can prove intent by Blake to strip and ball security from Taupau was suspect at best
No sure I agree, I have looked at the vision multiple times and at no point does it look like he is trying to offload, the only reason his arm comes away from his body was because of Blake ripping at it

No sure I agree, I have looked at the vision multiple times and at no point does it look like he is trying to offload, the only reason his arm comes away from his body was because of Blake ripping at it
I didn't say he was trying to offload, I just said his grip wasn't the most secure. Anyway IMO it's not a howler of a call, but I can see why others may disagree with the interpretation

I didn't say he was trying to offload, I just said his grip wasn't the most secure. Anyway IMO it's not a howler of a call, but I can see why others may disagree with the interpretation
But that isn't in the rules. Nothing in the rules says you must be holding the ball in a death grip.

He could be spinning it on his finger like a basketball and if a player takes it from him with another touching him, then it is a strip.

Unless Marty actually knocked the ball on, which he did not, then the rules state it was a strip. There is no room for interpretation there. loose carry and offload are things just added by commentators and not the rulebook. In every way shape and form that was a strip, its not even slightly grey. The only thing that that would change that is if Marty had dropped the ball forward.

Yes a defender can try to hold the ball to prevent and off load but if it goes wrong and they take it from the attackers possession its a strip. If Waqa blake is not there marty holds the ball or offloads it but does not drop it so it can only be seen as a strip and nothing else.

They have opened up a grey area and a can of worms now, watch the raiders claim offload every time now

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10