One that got away

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
Never heard this yarn before

Watching a show last week and they had
Awen Guttenbeil on there being interviewed. Mid 90s he had a chat to Bozo about bringing his best mate over who was keen to sign, named Stacey Jones. Bozo said sorry, my sons play halfback so I won’t be signing him

What might have been ! I’d suggest another premiership at least. Add him to the list of what if’s along with Wally Lewis and ZinZan Brooke

Awen Guttenbeil on there being interviewed. Mid 90s he had a chat to Bozo about bringing his best mate over who was keen to sign, named Stacey Jones. Bozo said sorry, my sons play halfback so I won’t be signing him

What might have been ! I’d suggest another premiership at least. Add him to the list of what if’s along with Wally Lewis and ZinZan Brooke
Didn’t know that. I knew of the Z Brooke one tho and I actually think he signed but backed out. It’s in Matt Ridges book from memory.

Didn’t know that. I knew of the Z Brooke one tho and I actually think he signed but backed out. It’s in Matt Ridges book from memory.

Yeah they signed together, ZinZan signed for plenty more than Ridgey and they were told not to speak about it. Ridgey tried to big note himself and put some interest on what he signed for which Zinny got the ****s about and got cold feet so pulled the pin

Probably could have avoided the Craig Field era

Awen Guttenbeil was the one that truly got away. I remember him in the Manly lower grades. He was an absolute standout, captain too i think. The Auckland Warriors and Super League came calling though and he was gone.

There you go - don't even remember Guttenbeil playing for us

Think that Awen had quite a few injury issues early in his career which hindered his progress at Manly a bit . Then Kosef , Beaver and Daniel Gartner so prominent , still made a decent fist of his footy career at the Warriors and deserves credit for that

Spoke to Wally Lewis about that situation and he basically was shut down by the QRL and you can also add Gene Miles....Manly would have had the side to win any amount of premierships as these 2 were in their prime.....already had a stack of great players, but Wally (love him or hate him) had that Ben Kennedy mentality....will add was such a nice humble bloke - has copped a heap of flack over the years but found him a top shelf bloke.....couple of others including a bloke Beaver Menzies recommended to Manly by the name of Sam Burgess, but was intercepted by the Gladiator and turned Souths around almost ala BK at Manly

Yeah Awen really struggled with injuries early on in his career but managed to overcome them and make a good career out of things. He was in the right place at the right time with Super League too earning solid coin

Well I'll be damned...never knew that....yep, another one who got away! Thanks for that @Kiwi Eagle

I just miss Matt Orford. Little fella, but ran straight and direct (no fear). Ox by nickname, and how appropriate. No crabbing, no concentric circles.

We BADLY need a halfback like this again ! Remember when we were direct like this?

I just miss Matt Orford. Little fella, but ran straight and direct (no fear). Ox by nickname, and how appropriate. No crabbing, no concentric circles.

We BADLY need a halfback like this again ! Remember when we were direct like this?

I’d say he copped more on here than DCE has, and that’s saying something !!

It must have been just before Brisbane entered the comp in 1988. I would guess 1986
Well we did struggle in 85/86 , Mitchell Cox kept getting injured and Cliffy was still an unknown quantity.

Still glad it never came about, seeing Wally carve up the Raiders in the 87 GF just wouldn't be the same..

And Lewis to Menzies...yeah..nah..

What year was Wally a chance? Would that have meant no Cliffy? If so im pretty happy with what we ended up with.
1988 he was signed for before the qrl stepped in. i always joked he would have come off the bench for cliffy

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 3 5 -55 8