Other games [Round 24, 2021]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Peter C

Bencher
It looked very much to me like the Storm tanked, we put 56 points on that filth two weeks ago, there's no way they've got that much improvement in them, it was handed to them
Storm didn't tank, just ambushed and out muscled in a game they expected they just had to turn up to win.
If Storm had won, then the race to the minor premiership would be over, they then could have rested a host of player in their next game against the Sharks.
It was perceived that Manly were the weakest of the top four teams, however with Mitchell's suspension that position now goes to Souths, so it is probably be in the interests of both the Panthers and Storm not to win the minor premiership and then have to face a full strength Manly in the first round.
One more factor in our favour is that if we win today and both Parra and Eels lose next week, then we have secured 4th position and our game against the Cowboys is irrelevant so we may be able to rest some players for that game.

S

Shnorky

Storm didn't tank, just ambushed and out muscled in a game they expected they just had to turn up to win.
If Storm had won, then the race to the minor premiership would be over, they then could have rested a host of player in their next game against the Sharks.
It was perceived that Manly were the weakest of the top four teams, however with Mitchell's suspension that position now goes to Souths, so it is probably be in the interests of both the Panthers and Storm not to win the minor premiership and then have to face a full strength Manly in the first round.
One more factor in our favour is that if we win today and both Parra and Eels lose next week, then we have secured 4th position and our game against the Cowboys is irrelevant so we may be able to rest some players for that game.
It will be interesting if parra and the eels have to play each other in the semis

Rafferty

Mug punter
Anyone else feeling like Penrith are the true dark horse of the comp? Cleary showed what a terrific game manager he is and that kicking game just makes life so hard for the opposition. They'll get Fisher-Harris and To'o back and they're full of energy after a mid-season slump. I reckon they could out enthuse the Storm on the big day. Sleeping Giant they are.

I think we can make a Prelim but are a year away from really challenging.
I have them as the clear favourites, with Cleary playing, however I’m not ready to concede Melbourne will be their opponent just yet (I’m sticking to the probability of us finding the self belief and motivation to get there, we have the talent if the boys want it bad enough) if Melbourne make it, which I strongly doubt, I believe Penrith will win on the back of last years loss and especially with the up tempo game they can sustain against what I will still call a very fatigued Melbourne side, the exception to this theory is if Melbourne win week 1 and earn a rest, then they might be able to find the petrol to prevail, given their mental advantage, providing they win the prelim, which for mine is still not a given, they are as vulnerable as they have been in a long time and south’s or us may just get them yet if it falls that way.

Thinking about how you mentioned Parra turning things around after 4 bad games is very different to what I believe Melbourne have endured both Physically and Mentally to stay up for their record equaling run. Of course they can turn up and last week will just be forgotten, but I’m sure their fatigue was there for everyone to see, it has been showing for a number of weeks now, regardless I’m sure they will start hard and run hard for 60 min no matter what, I’m sure all the coaches will have seen what I’m saying and will use it their advantage and to motivate their side to stay in the game, if a side can’t gain the early ascendency. Melbourne are as vulnerable as they have been in a long time and any side in the finals that can find a strong 80 will be right in it, the last 20 mins will be where they will struggle and can be beaten, stay in the grind and the game is there to win.

It was interesting listening to Bellamy in the pressers, i‘ll say it, I think his demeanor was speaking volumes, his no goose and I think reality was hitting home last night, I know they have Finucane and NAS to come back fresh but I still don’t think that will be enough and Bellamy knows it. He made mention of Kafusi’s mile stone and the importance of last nights game, he wasn‘t his usual self in spite of the loss, it might just be a case of me wanting to see what I want to see but it’s the way I’m seeing it at moment, if I’m wrong no big deal, but I have a strong feeling Bellamy has seen the writing on the wall, they have over played their hand again during the regular season, he was aware of it last year and i think the realisation of perhaps mistiming it again this year (chasing the record winning streak or just over exercising their winning culture, it’s going to make it extremely hard to freshen up his side off the back of their season with what’s left of the year) so only time will tell now, I guess we will just have to wait and see.

In the meantime I look forward to watching our boys play and hone their game for our tilt at this, because we are in it and there’s no better chance than right now, we maybe building as a side, but there is no guarantee at a shot next year, to many unknowns, but we have one this year guaranteed, it’s up to the lads now, I just hope they want it bad enough to find the gut and drive to bring it home, I’m on us to do this until it turns out otherwise.

manly al

First Grader
Didn "t watch all of the match but Eels seemed to employ the preferred tactics now of trying to out flank or gain an advantage over the Storm on their edges . Manly could have had a similar result recently against them with some better completions and ref calls Storm are too good a side not to eventually adapt their defence structure but are still obviously a little vulnerable there . Not too sure how much better the Panthers can get [ don "t put Bunnies and Eels as a similar threat right now] but if Manly can finish the season well and intact and aiming up in the final"s playoffs , could be in to it up to their eyeballs .

Scorpio

Armchair Expert
As long as we beat the 14th and 16th placed teams... which we should... then we get 4th with our points differential regardless of any other results from the Roosters and Eels from here on.

That being said I didn't expect the Eels to win.

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Anyone else feeling like Penrith are the true dark horse of the comp? Cleary showed what a terrific game manager he is and that kicking game just makes life so hard for the opposition. They'll get Fisher-Harris and To'o back and they're full of energy after a mid-season slump. I reckon they could out enthuse the Storm on the big day. Sleeping Giant they are.

I think we can make a Prelim but are a year away from really challenging.
I've had them as one of two short priced favourites for most of the year. Not sure when they assumed dark horse status. I think the old adage "you need to lose a Grand Final to win one" might come to fruition for them this year. They may have dropped off the radar slighty when Cleary was out and their own undefeated run came to end, but they are back in the mix well and truly now all hands are back on deck.

They can match Storm in the forwards no worries, and imagine if Ivan somehow unlocks TPJ for the finals, what a gun for hire he could turn out to be. Kikau has X factor and Yeo is a great ball playing lock. Cleary is the best half in the comp. They have some some gun backs in Crichton and Burton, and To'o is just a metre eating machine and decent finisher.

They won't be intimidated by the Storm nor the occasion this year.

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
The other elements of the conspiracy...just saying for fun (I think)...is if the Storm lose to the Sharks next week and Penrith win their two games, Penrith will take out the minor premiership and most likely play Manly in the first semi, whereas the Strom would then only have to account for the Rabbits. A much easier route to the grand final...you never know with Bellamy

Rafferty

Mug punter
The other elements of the conspiracy...just saying for fun (I think)...is if the Storm lose to the Sharks next week and Penrith win their two games, Penrith will take out the minor premiership and most likely play Manly in the first semi, whereas the Strom would then only have to account for the Rabbits. A much easier route to the grand final...you never know with Bellamy
Possible but I don’t buy in, it would also mean that they threw last night and that’s the part I don’t believe, they would of secretly hated losing to Parra twice this year, had the outright record of straight wins to claim, we’re playing Kafusi’s 150 milestone and could of cemented the JJ, just don’t see it that way, but they may not be interested in winning next week given how last night played out, will be interesting to see their team sheet Tuesday.

Last edited:

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
Possible but I don’t buy in, it would also mean that they threw last night and that’s the part I don’t believe, they would of secretly hated losing to Parra twice this year, had the outright record of straight wins to claim, we’re playing Kafusi’s 150 milestone and could of cemented the JJ, just don’t see it that way, but they may not be interested in winning next week given how last night played out, will be interesting to see there team sheet Tuesday.

We will see Rafferty. Look I dont believe it, but then I dont believe in anything. Just pointing out that in the end this is about winning the grand final and making it as easy for your team to get there as possible. A shrewd coach might decide the minor premiership is only secondary to the big one. No one remembers (well almost no one) who won the minor premiership. Its worth about $50,000 but the grand final winners get $400,000 and all the recognition. Even the grand final runners up get $200,000

Rafferty

Mug punter
We will see Rafferty. Look I dont believe it, but then I dont believe in anything. Just pointing out that in the end this is about winning the grand final and making it as easy for your team to get there as possible. A shrewd coach might decide the minor premiership is only secondary to the big one. No one remembers (well almost no one) who won the minor premiership. Its worth about $50,000 but the grand final winners get $400,000 and all the recognition. Even the grand final runners up get $200,000
As I alluded I don’t doubt they may be thinking that way now, either way I‘d like to see them stumble and I look forward to it, I’ve had enough of Melbourne and look forward to watching them fall short.

Snake

Snake's Alive!
I've had them as one of two short priced favourites for most of the year. Not sure when they assumed dark horse status. I think the old adage "you need to lose a Grand Final to win one" might come to fruition for them this year. They may have dropped off the radar slighty when Cleary was out and their own undefeated run came to end, but they are back in the mix well and truly now all hands are back on deck.

They can match Storm in the forwards no worries, and imagine if Ivan somehow unlocks TPJ for the finals, what a gun for hire he could turn out to be. Kikau has X factor and Yeo is a great ball playing lock. Cleary is the best half in the comp. They have some some gun backs in Crichton and Burton, and To'o is just a metre eating machine and decent finisher.

They won't be intimidated by the Storm nor the occasion this year.
Dark horse in the sense that (a) for a long time a Storm premiership seemed a fait accompli and (b) they went backwards when Cleary went down and at 12 nil against Souths, seemed to be floundering. Then the dialogue started filtering out through the media that Manly were the true litmus test for the Storm. I've had a few people approach me in my Manly jersey to tell me they think we are the best chance of beating Melbourne. So I guess that's where I got the sense that Penrith were being written off.

But yeah, the bookies certainly haven't. I agree with everything you've stated here...Cleary could be the difference with a host of fantastic young outside backs and a fit, mobile and fast pack of fowards.

eagleron

Bencher
I'm unconvinced mate, parra suck and it's the biggest form turnaround in living memory for both teams, Melbourne don't get ambushed, they're too well coached, that and the fact that I'm incapable of saying anything positive or offer anything praise like for the lowlife that is Parramatta, imo Melbourne wanted to lose to get the monkey off their backs and reset their tempo and the win had nothing to do with Parra being superior, next week will bring the filth that is Parramatta back to earth, just my opinion 🙂

eagleron

Bencher
Losing last night relieves the pressure, they can reset their campaign starting next week, I do think Bellamy is shrewd enough to engineer a loss in order to achieve a better mindset, it wouldn't be the first time and it won't be the last. Just my humble opinion

Rackets

Doin' the eagle rock 🦅
Is it also no surprise that Grant only gets a fine for a tackle that could've broken a leg! Didn't Liam Knight cop 2 weeks for a hip tackle that looked half as bad?
I'm just hoping now the slime aren't given any 'special treatment ' in the finals because 'their season is back on track '.

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
wests v penrith lifting off.

0-0

some good defence by the tigers

I think I'm starting to warm to blocker's commentary.

Or is it just very late?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
13 10 3 97 24
14 10 4 118 22
14 10 4 78 22
13 8 5 66 20
14 8 6 143 18
13 7 6 81 18
13 7 6 -55 18
14 7 6 42 17
14 7 7 37 16