Our 2nd Rowers - Rethink Strategy

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

silvereagle

Reserve Grader
I am not sure we have the right strategy with our 2 backrowers. Last few games it feels like we are operating with only half the forwards doing the hard stuff particularly in our half of the field. We did not own the middle against Penrith last week and again against the tigers yesterday. That makes it difficult to open up the play for our backs. Yesterday both Winsterstein and Lane were nowhere to be seen when the chips were down and particularly when we were trying to ruck out of our quarter / half. We got some of the best front rowers in the comp but two more big second rowers doing the hard yards would certainly alleviate a lot of the pressure on our TWO props and poor old Jakie.

I think TB needs to rethink here. When we have the ball in our half, get them back in the middle to help ruck out. In the opposition half, by all means get them running out wider. In defence I would stick to this structure but allow them to split left and right for cover defence for centre and winger. Watmough and G Stewart had this down to a fine art and worked brilliantly.

You cant fix something thats not broken. Winterstein and Lanes job isnt to make meters in the middle its to terrorize the edges and defend and they both do that perfectly. We have our props and lock at the end and middle of sets while the back 5 start the sets. Our back 5 have been the best in the comp making meters and thats our main strength. Also the last 2 games mean nothing as in both games we were on the backfoot because of the refs allowing the teams to slow down our play the balls. Once we get a bit more in the ruck we have no trouble making meters as we saw yesterday against the tigers once we start rolling we dont stop.

I am not sure we have the right strategy with our 2 backrowers. Last few games it feels like we are operating with only half the forwards doing the hard stuff particularly in our half of the field. We did not own the middle against Penrith last week and again against the tigers yesterday. That makes it difficult to open up the play for our backs. Yesterday both Winsterstein and Lane were nowhere to be seen when the chips were down and particularly when we were trying to ruck out of our quarter / half. We got some of the best front rowers in the comp but two more big second rowers doing the hard yards would certainly alleviate a lot of the pressure on our TWO props and poor old Jakie.

I think TB needs to rethink here. When we have the ball in our half, get them back in the middle to help ruck out. In the opposition half, by all means get them running out wider. In defence I would stick to this structure but allow them to split left and right for cover defence for centre and winger. Watmough and G Stewart had this down to a fine art and worked brilliantly.
Mate, they're going better than ok. Certainly no need to drastically change tactics and recruitment.

Games changed since their days. Frankenstein could make way for someone with more talent sure, but until that person emerges he'll suffice.

Games changed since their days. Frankenstein could make way for someone with more talent sure, but until that person emerges he'll suffice.

Not suggesting we change our 2nd rowers....I like both Winterstein and Lane. Suggesting we change how they play and what they do. I think we can improve our overall standard of play if we can get them more involved and engaged....particularly in the hard stuff.

I certainly agree that Frankenstein needs to run more. He's a big guy and he doesn't seem to be doing his share of the grunt work. I am very happy with Penny, and think he and Sirro would be a fantastic second row combination.

So the edge guys are not doing the job in the middle?

Move them to the middle and all the opposition does is compress defence - so so easy to counter.

We have 5 props + Jake in the middle third, surely those 6 can manage.

FULL STRENGTH (For me)
01. Tom Trbojevic
02. Jorge Taufua
03. Brian Kelly
04. Dylan Walker
05. Akuila Uate
06. Blake Green
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Brenton Lawrence
09. Apisai Koroisou
10. Marty Taupau
11. Shaun Lane
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Jackson Hastings
15. Addin Fonua-Blake
16. Lloyd Perrett
17. Frank Winterstein

Reserves
Darcy Lussick, Lewis Brown, Matthew Wright, Cameron Cullen

Jorge Tafua and killer Aquila where taking a lot of the early hit ups in our sets leaving the second rowers to run riot on the edges.

That was a very successful formula and with Jorge out this has had an impact as we don't have defences on the back foot as we did early in a great run.

You do see glimpses of it when uate hits it up.

It's just a matter of fine tuning.

Baz is doing a great job with our forwards and rotation especially now with Brown out and Lane in.

The Poo's unfortunate injury Has been a blessing in disguise.

We need Lussick to fire which I know he can.

Don't lose faith brother we are traveling nicely with room to grow and improve

Jorge Tafua and killer Aquila where taking a lot of the early hit ups in our sets leaving the second rowers to run riot on the edges.

That was a very successful formula and with Jorge out this has had an impact as we don't have defences on the back foot as we did early in a great run.

You do see glimpses of it when uate hits it up.

It's just a matter of fine tuning.

Baz is doing a great job with our forwards and rotation especially now with Brown out and Lane in.

The Poo's unfortunate injury Has been a blessing in disguise.

We need Lussick to fire which I know he can.

Don't lose faith brother we are traveling nicely with room to grow and improve
Matthew Wright ran for 200 metres yesterday, most of them coming out of our own end. He was superb, watch the game again. Strong and tough, doing a very good job at covering Jorge.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8