Our approach

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
It's bizarre how we can go from looking like a competitive, composed, well-drilled unit & essentially beating Parra last week to looking like the rabble we were last night.

I don't know what causes this lack of consistency but it needs to be identified & eliminated.

The good thing is that we can go from looking like the rabble we were last night back to a competitive, composed, well-drilled unit just as quickly so hopefully it happens soon.
Yeah, massive difference from the Parra game, if we played like we did in the Parra game we would of beaten the Storm last night.

Without trying to sound like a dick, for mine our biggest issue is DCE. Our right side has been a disgrace for years, both in attack and defence. Our game management is almost non-existent (this is what highly paid 7s are supposed to be responsible for). Our composure and mental toughness is horrendous (this is what a captain and on-field leader is there for). DCE plays for himself, his wallet and KPIs. The old manly boys knew this, so do the queenslanders. He has skills, and makes a great running ball-player when surrounded by a great team. The skewed salary cap since 2015, along with the things just mentioned are the biggest reason as to Manly's mediocrity. He's a great politician, but there is almost an emptiness that pervades our club culture. I also feel Des is somewhat stuck with him, as I honestly believe that if he had to choose between DCE and Foran, Des would go with Foz everyday of the week. As has been mentioned by many here, our edge defence is horrible but if you really look at it, it's mostly an issue with DCEs side as well as inevitable growing pains with youth and inexperience (Koula, Burbo, Tuipulotu, Ola'akautu, etc). Our middles can match it with most but the shocking performances from whoever is supposed to control our attack puts unreasonable pressure on them over 80mins. Injuries, bad luck, etc etc... realistically, it boils down to DCE.

The big thing is can we? I’m not so sure and if we do, can we do it week in week out, I doubt it, our track record proofs it, wheres the improvement coming from within our current set up, it’s the same set up that hasn’t been able to produce consistent footy, adapt to the speed and changes in the game or beat the better sides, being honest it looks to me as if we could be in for some pretty tuff times, be very happy if I’m wrong. And finally I wish I could see things in a more positive light, being a realist sucks.
Well, no, hence my "lack of consistency" bit.

We're no better or worse off than other teams when it comes to players missing via injuries, suspension, rep duties so why can't we play consistently well once we click, instead of showing up one week & looking clueless the next?

I don't know what the problem is but it's frustrating for sure.

I think we often ask questions we dont want to hear the answers too. We have been a mirror of our captain for years who is a great player but a fairly average halfback

He is the most experienced player, in the most pivotal position , coached by legendary halves, surrounded by greatness in origin but still continues to do his own thing without recourse or improvement in the upstairs department

He needs a fresh start, our rebuild wont start until he is gone. While he speaks beautifully , his on field actions are of a jibberer

Until we transition from his leadership, rather than his playing we will be average. I take he is a great role model, a super trainer, super committed but he isnt a leader He hides in key moments and gambles with the teams efforts too often

Our teams personality is his , and it needs to be tougher, more ruthless, and smarter in approach. He is the on field boss and unless we can bring someone in that can overcall him, tell him off, pull him in line , respect his abilities but reject his attitude to the ball, we are just not going to cut it

Des is about getting the best out of what we have, but we need a better on field leader. Tom and jake are definate possabilities And can grow into that role, but we need a game manager who plays to the script to win NRL games and not backyard footy.

We look like we are coached by the walker brothers.

The forwards cop too much flak for our position. If they bust a gut, nothing changes and this site is littered with this , going back 5 or 6 years. Sure a lot of its mine but its prolific if we are prepared to listen. Some people just dont want to hear it so we invent new villans .

We played the dogs in a cyclone and dce kicked once in the first half, once. Saab was peppered like a burrito at the other end and 2 weeks later dufty was exposed to a bomb athon and never recovered, by a smarter team than ours
Good post

I’ve whinged about dce so much that ive forgotten why im whinging

It’s not that he’s a bad player, it’s that he’s a bad halfback!!

It’s hard to nail down what’s going wrong with Manly this year. Injuries don’t help but it’s not like we were playing well with all our cattle anyway.

For a time, I thought our pack wasn’t up to it and although I still think it’s not an elite pack, I’ve seen us compete in the middle the last couple of weeks and show intent in defence. I do still think we’re a bit short of leg speed in the forwards. But still...

Last night was down to crucial errors and piggy back penalties. We go sideways too often and we waste too tackles with settlers inside the opposition 20m. Edge defence terrible again.

That gets me to my question...is it coaching? Now I’m a big fan of Des and no I don’t think he should be sacked. However, he may need fresh support staff with new ideas to help reinvent our approach to the game. Our edge defence is poor; a new defensive structure please? New defence coach? Our attack is boring and predictable. New attacking structures please? We can’t keep running block plays to edges. Our only hope of scoring is a winger crashing over a metre in from the sidelines. Where is the threat around the ruck and through the edge backrowers?
Our attack just seems to be very one dimensional and we don't seem to breaking the line as much, slow to play the ball. Attack we not quick off the line to get in the oppositions face and our sliding defence isn't working. Its so frustrating to watch @:cry:

We seem very fragile so perhaps the scuttlebutt about division in the team over Foz going to the Titans is a thing?

It’s hard to nail down what’s going wrong with Manly this year. Injuries don’t help but it’s not like we were playing well with all our cattle anyway.

For a time, I thought our pack wasn’t up to it and although I still think it’s not an elite pack, I’ve seen us compete in the middle the last couple of weeks and show intent in defence. I do still think we’re a bit short of leg speed in the forwards. But still...

Last night was down to crucial errors and piggy back penalties. We go sideways too often and we waste too tackles with settlers inside the opposition 20m. Edge defence terrible again.

That gets me to my question...is it coaching? Now I’m a big fan of Des and no I don’t think he should be sacked. However, he may need fresh support staff with new ideas to help reinvent our approach to the game. Our edge defence is poor; a new defensive structure please? New defence coach? Our attack is boring and predictable. New attacking structures please? We can’t keep running block plays to edges. Our only hope of scoring is a winger crashing over a metre in from the sidelines. Where is the threat around the ruck and through the edge backrowers?
Bottom line is we are just poor in building pressure on the other team. We just lose the arm wrestle all over the field.

1. Bad Discipline and too many errors. This stuff seems the easiest thing to fix but consistently we are poor. I've got no idea the solution but would need to move on the most obvious offenders Harper, Keppie.

2. Poor defensive line speed - you have talked about this at lengths. We can seem to be able to lift on defense at times to try and pin a team. But this lasts for one set. Penrith are able to keep it up for the whole game.

3. Poor attacking kicking game. When was the last time we consistently got repeat sets from line drop outs? Our last tackle options are poor and DCE gets the bulk of the blame as he is typically pushing the envelope to score a try off a kick. The best (Reynolds, Cleary etc) find a balance between looking for repeat sets and seizing the moment for a try scoring opportunity.

I could go on and on but these stand out for me.

Our approach? … hmm…

A: Give it to Tommy.
B: He’s injured
A: Oh $hit? Then, give it to the guy paid millions to lead
B: Umm… he’s running around here somewhere
A: What a mess… call the CEO
B: [Sounds of crickets as tumbleweed blow from stage left to right]

What I found weird was the Fox commentators giving DCE a HUGE wrap before kick off last night, Corey Parker in particular, but Ennis was too.

It must just be because SOO is coming up?

What I found weird was the Fox commentators giving DCE a HUGE wrap before kick off last night
Even diligent commentators wouldn't scrutinise a player as closely as the hard core fans of that club, just because they also need to look at every other side as well.

Actually what I find weird is the number of Silvertails who find it weird when DCE is given a wrap!

However one area that DCE and/or Des needs to improve asap is manufactuing a bit of space and early ball for Haumole and Koula. I'm not sure why we haven't been able to do that better. Giving Koula some early ball for example is a no brainer, he has proved he can beat a man and he has great speed.

So that, I find weird!

Without trying to sound like a dick, for mine our biggest issue is DCE. Our right side has been a disgrace for years, both in attack and defence. Our game management is almost non-existent (this is what highly paid 7s are supposed to be responsible for). Our composure and mental toughness is horrendous (this is what a captain and on-field leader is there for). DCE plays for himself, his wallet and KPIs. The old manly boys knew this, so do the queenslanders. He has skills, and makes a great running ball-player when surrounded by a great team. The skewed salary cap since 2015, along with the things just mentioned are the biggest reason as to Manly's mediocrity. He's a great politician, but there is almost an emptiness that pervades our club culture. I also feel Des is somewhat stuck with him, as I honestly believe that if he had to choose between DCE and Foran, Des would go with Foz everyday of the week. As has been mentioned by many here, our edge defence is horrible but if you really look at it, it's mostly an issue with DCEs side as well as inevitable growing pains with youth and inexperience (Koula, Burbo, Tuipulotu, Ola'akautu, etc). Our middles can match it with most but the shocking performances from whoever is supposed to control our attack puts unreasonable pressure on them over 80mins. Injuries, bad luck, etc etc... realistically, it boils down to DCE.
Think you have nailed it. For years I was pretty indifferent on DCE. Thought he was a very good player, not the best 7 in the comp, but not too far off. I thought his salary like everyone else was an overpay - but at the same time he would command fairly close to that mark elsewhere, so not a complete disaster.

But while he is an exceptional footballer he cannot lead a team around the field like the best generals. I said a week or so ago it's no coincidence that Townsville and Brisbane have improved out of sight by recruiting a 7 who can steer you around the park. Take the right options, get the right runners involved and keep the pressure on with good attacking kicks.

I'd swap DCE for Townsend in a heartbeat right now. Never though I would say that. Imagine this Manly team with Reynolds in it. We would be in a lot lot better shape.

And we have another 4 years of it.

Even diligent commentators wouldn't scrutinise a player as closely as the hard core fans of that club, just because they also need to look at every other side as well.

Actually what I find weird is the number of Silvertails who find it weird when DCE is given a wrap!

However one area that DCE and/or Des needs to improve asap is manufactuing a bit of space and early ball for Haumole and Koula. I'm not sure why we haven't been able to do that better. Giving Koula some early ball for example is a no brainer, he has proved he can beat a man and he has great speed.

So that, I find weird!
I found it weird because I don't think I've ever heard an ex-QLD footballer turned commentator say anything good about DCE.

Not a dick post at all mr W

if ever anyone had goat photos its Dce.

Good leaders pride themselves on leaving a place in a better place to how they found it. Not many players get contracts that allow them to think that far ahead.

why des signed him again this far out is the biggest mystery. The only thing i can think of is that he is still spooked by not getting a trophy at the dogs due to having no halves, or goats ,

Nothing he has done warrants it

What I found weird was the Fox commentators giving DCE a HUGE wrap before kick off last night, Corey Parker in particular, but Ennis was too.

It must just be because SOO is coming up?
Speaking of commentators, what about the big love fest over anything Storm related, Scam and Slater were trotting out all the backslapping cheesy one liners...it's nauseating !!

Speaking of commentators, what about the big love fest over anything Storm related, Scam and Slater were trotting out all the backslapping cheesy one liners...it's nauseating !!
Where's the vomit emoji when you need it lol!

I missed that as I watched via Kayo but I can imagine how bad it must have been.

Last edited:

So that, I find weird!
Oku got early ball last night once and looked ominous. I almost fell off my chair , which was hard as i was lying on the floor, but i rewound it and foran was on the right side.

ennis was pretty harsh on DCE defensive reads last night and im sure a few of the cherry cheersquad had there sphincter tightened as a result.

Same weird stuff.

If you support manly and not players , you dont want to hear superlatives about what you consider is the teams weakness, because everyone know the media make most peoples minds up for them. Just a guess

Would a switcheroo of #6 & #7 a la Wests Tigers do the trick to shake things up & refresh our halves situation?
It could , but wests had the cap space to get the right player at 7. We need a game manager prepared to come to manly, play the tough game, make cherry look good for 400k.

Last season i suggested we get reynolds .

Most half combos spend 1.6 ish for the duo, maybe munster and hughes if they resign munster will be the big exception, now hughes has hada big upgrade

Foran every week is doing more , but he has set sail, as our season looks to be doing the same. Besides his long kicking game is not too flash and we would miss his direct play

The only out i see is cherry kicks long all day, gets in closer to kick and runs to the line to kick , or gets the ball , passes to oku early or koula early . But he doesnt have the application to stick at it

He just loves the ball in his hands too much

Kick, pass back up
Kick, pass back up

Eventually other opportunities open anyway

And kick at the line, not this soft easy , 10 m behind play on the blind
He could still turn it around and deliver manly a title if he played a role and played for the team, but it seems its too big an ask

Strip his game back, take away his ego, reinvent him as a role player like townsend, and even id barrack for the bloke for trying.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8