Our Club is on the slide

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Plenty of new guys have been trialled this year, Whare, Hopoate, Hodkinson, Oldfield, Foran's 1st full year, Williams still young, Farrar's 1st year at fullback etc

Injuries obviously have played a part imo

Up to Round 10 or so we hardly had a player out, and were right up there with the Dragons. We then had a backline hammered through injuries and suspensions that saw Foran, Lyon and Matai gone for an extended period, and we have struggled since then losing other guys along the way

Its been a forgettable year, what with the injuries, suspensions and bad calls. Weve definitely copped it worse than most.

The thing is were still in with a chance. First half against the Roosters was sublime. If we can beat the odds and play like that for a few more (consecutive) halves we'll walk away with the biscuits.

If not, ****, theres always next year. We'll have both Stewarts back, Wolfman, Rodney, our young guys will be over their injuries, Lussick and Harrison will get their opportunities and our older guys will be rested (after being snubbed from the rep matches).

What slide?

Things could be worse, look at the supporters of the Dogs, Parramatta and Cowboys, far, far bigger underachievers than us

5 biggest questions in 2011 will be -
1. Is Snake going to be back to his old form before injuries and incident cruelled him?
2. New signings?? With talk we may have a NSW cup team next year, are we going to have the player depth to cover any injuries in the NRL team?
3. Foran - can he take his game to the next level and become a dominant leader in our halves?
4. Watmough - hopefully he comes back fresh next season with no niggling injuries and gets back to the form that makes him an automatic pick for rep selection.
5. Hoppa & Whare - with Snake fully fit and trouble free, where do these 2 young guns fit into our squad?

Country Matt link said:
1st in 08

5th in 09 and bundled out in rd 1 of finals

7-9th in 2010.

No major sponsor for 2011

Brookie is the pits.

Good players being forced out due to cap restraints like perry, farrer, tasi etc

Only 1 reserve grade back rower signed for next year.

I am not worried because I know we will bounce back but geez I hope it doesn't take as long as last time i.e. 1998-2005.

Ok, but what can we do to rectify it. You should have added that Matty.

Kiwi Eagle link said:
Things could be worse, look at the supporters of the Dogs, Parramatta and Cowboys, far, far bigger underachievers than us
And don't forget the Storm. Regardless of what happens from here in, I'll smile each time I think of their stunning 2010 season.

To all the doomdayers out there, if we're so crap how come we've scored more first half points than any other team out there. We've spanked plenty of good sides ( & yes, ended up losing ) so we must've been doing something right or were they that bad? At least we've had fun for at least 40mins.
Give it a rest, we're two wins away from a top 4 spot, a loss away from missing the 8 and we've NEVER got the spoon.
We're still there plugging away, the only side that's been consistently dominant for a few years is the Storm and now we know why.
The salary cap is designed to even things out so in an ideal world every team should win the comp once over a 16 year cycle...so us winning & losing a GF every 10 years will do me.
As I say to my Dragons buddies (when I visit them at the psych hospital), they promise so much every year but haven't delivered in 31 & I love that, all they can throw at me is they won 11 in a row - like before we were born...so relevant.
We can say the same about Parra & Souths too, so let's not turn on our own.
It's all in your expectation people and I always console myself with the fact that I am Manly supporter.
Just my two bobs worth.

Hey matt stuff your stats we only won a premiership 2 years ago which is one of the hardest things to do how must st choke feel still waiting after 31 years.

With an untested half combination and no Orford, many predicted that we would not make the semis. To get 7th will be over-performing in the minds of some. My disappointment is that we have been in winning position in about 5 games and lost. We seem to have gifted a lot of long distance tries - meaning that we lack pace in the outside backs compared to many sides. Inexperience has also been a factor, leading to mistakes and inconsistency. Whilst our injuries have not been widespread, what ones we have experienced have been vital. Brett Stewart and Wolf man have been huge losses. We will bounce back, but it is disappointing as I reckon that a fit Manly side, playing well would be a huge chance if in the top 4 in September.

Hopefully the experience this year will prove valuable next year, though DCE is going to have to step up bigtime!!

SeaEagleRock8 link said:
Yes even Broncos look like missing the finals now they have to be more careful with the cap.
Plus I don't think the team is on the slide, there is still a lot of ability there. We have been less consistent this year but we lost our chief organiser, hardly a shock.

Well with Hannant, Inglis and a fully fit Hodges next year, they'll most likely be straight back into the top 4 in 2011.

Canteen Worker link said:
With an untested half combination and no Orford, many predicted that we would not make the semis. To get 7th will be over-performing in the minds of some. My disappointment is that we have been in winning position in about 5 games and lost. We seem to have gifted a lot of long distance tries - meaning that we lack pace in the outside backs compared to many sides. Inexperience has also been a factor, leading to mistakes and inconsistency. Whilst our injuries have not been widespread, what ones we have experienced have been vital. Brett Stewart and Wolf man have been huge losses. We will bounce back, but it is disappointing as I reckon that a fit Manly side, playing well would be a huge chance if in the top 4 in September.

Hopefully the experience this year will prove valuable next year, though DCE is going to have to step up bigtime!!

Great post, though I saw enough from Foran last year to have us pinned at 4th at the start of the season. At the end of the day, the early Parra/Tigers/Titans games where we let slip big leads have really cost us.

The Boot link said:
To all the doomdayers out there, if we're so crap how come we've scored more first half points than any other team out there. We've spanked plenty of good sides ( & yes, ended up losing ) so we must've been doing something right or were they that bad? At least we've had fun for at least 40mins.
Give it a rest, we're two wins away from a top 4 spot, a loss away from missing the 8 and we've NEVER got the spoon.
We're still there plugging away, the only side that's been consistently dominant for a few years is the Storm and now we know why.
The salary cap is designed to even things out so in an ideal world every team should win the comp once over a 16 year cycle...so us winning & losing a GF every 10 years will do me.
As I say to my Dragons buddies (when I visit them at the psych hospital), they promise so much every year but haven't delivered in 31 & I love that, all they can throw at me is they won 11 in a row - like before we were born...so relevant.
We can say the same about Parra & Souths too, so let's not turn on our own.
It's all in your expectation people and I always console myself with the fact that I am Manly supporter.
Just my two bobs worth.

great post

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8